Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alt. Energy  (Read 3458 times)

Sam Adams

Alt. Energy
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »

Shark, you may enjoy this. I was on Lew Rockwell,s site the other day and clicked on an Electric engine ad. It brought me to The Stirling Engine[generator]. It was developed in late 1800,s and Shell and GM buried it, patents and such. Keep an open eye on this engine, it gets involved with pressure issues, temperature problems, but Europe is starting to buy them up because probably expensive fuel cost. One site is http://newenergydirection.com blog  but that gets technical. They work on external combustion like a stanley steamer but don,t require much heat. For a small size engine the hot side piston only requires an additional 7 degrees. A candle can run larger models, or woodmass, saw dust, heat from compost maybe. After finding oil in Texas we were directed to burning fossil fuels and internal combustion engines vs simple engines that push pistons simply by a cold side and warm side convection.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Alt. Energy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »

I don't know why someone claimed the technology was buried.  It's a well-developed device.  The reason it was not developed more at the time it was invented was that the materials and tolerances necessary made it impractical.

You can buy off-the-shelf stirling-based generators, now.  They do require a substantial temperature difference to run efficiently, though.  They may start with as little as seven degrees, for the small ones, but a larger unit will require more than that, and none of them will run efficiently until the difference is quite high.

They are well-suited for cogeneration.  Expose the hot side to heat from a flame (burning wood chips, for example), and then connect a heat exchanger to the cold side, such that you cool that side by putting the heat into a storage tank, from which you heat your domestic water, and your house.  That way, you get electricity and heat out of the same system.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:32 pm »

I remember Stirling engine ads in the back of Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, etc., 40 years ago. They're uncommon, but hardly "buried".

Sam Adams

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:09:34 am »

Japan is running Stirling engines and cogeneration off of smoke stacks. If the temp of exhaust is 200 degrees or so they sometimes run up to 6-7 engines. Think wood stove exhaust pipe.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »

Japan is running Stirling engines and cogeneration off of smoke stacks. If the temp of exhaust is 200 degrees or so they sometimes run up to 6-7 engines. Think wood stove exhaust pipe.

Do you have a link on that?  It's not impossible, but the efficiency would be far less than if they used an organic Rankine cycle engine.  The Rankine cycle is what steam turbines use, and the organic Rankine cycle is simply a steam turbine with a working fluid other than water - by using a different working fluid (R-404a is a common choice, for example), the boiling point can be set at something other than 212F, allowing the system to operate efficiently at lower input temperatures.  ORC engines are, by far, the top choice for recovering "low grade" waste heat.

So, if you have a source on the use of Sterling engines for that purpose, I'd like to see it, so I can find out why they made that choice...
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Sam Adams

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:40 pm »

I didn,t reread the different articles, but I,m sure I found it here on Japans page.  http://www.japanfs.org/en/pages/026493.html   

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »

Well, if you find it, let me know, as it does not seem at all practical.

Pages: [1]   Go Up