Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello and General Question  (Read 2835 times)

BDJ

Hello and General Question
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »

Hello, I decided to register and ask a few basic questions since it is becoming apparent to me that taking part in something along the lines of the Free State Project may be the only real hope to be left alone in this life.

From an introduction prospective, I am currently a resident of Reno, NV but am originally from Eastern Canada. I'll spare you my loathing for the nanny state that is Canada but essentially I've traveled much of the world and decided that the US was my best chance to live a lifestyle I wanted and have some freedom. Of course the Bush and Obama administrations have pretty much shaken my faith in the adherence of government to the Constitution. That said, previous administrations in my lifetime weren't exactly positive either. My background is in engineering and I work as a consultant to the mining industry so I tend to travel and could re-locate if I maintained access to reasonable air routes.

It looks as though I would need to reside near Manchester for air travel access (say within an hour) so my thought is to visit in the early part of 2013 and maybe attend a couple of local meetings, check out the area and perhaps look at some real estate. The weather doesn't bother me and I plan to have some time available in that window for personal travel. My only time visiting NH was to attend some AMA races in Louden in the late 1990's and seeing it in summer may be deceiving. I also admit that Nevada has great access to travel, I love the skiing, weather and also no state tax so I'd have to be sold on it NH actually offering change. My biggest beef with NV is we seem caught between the geographic majority of the state being conservative leaning libertarian and the hard core liberals from California who move to Vegas and Reno because California is ruined but want to push the same nanny state here. Being caught between two steaming piles is the political norm and it looks worse every day.

If I move I'd like to purchase a large 10+ acres piece of land and simply be left alone when I choose. I love skiing, motorcycling and shooting and was wondering what counties would be likely candidates? Also, are there any realty sites you could recommend? I'm single without kids and would only build or buy a modest home but would like the privacy that land brings. For those that have built a home in NH, what was the permiting process like in the county you built in?

Thanks,

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Hello and General Question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

It looks as though I would need to reside near Manchester for air travel access (say within an hour)

There is a good bus route down 3/93 to Logan which would also make that accessible for journeys MHT doesn't cover. http://www.bostonexpressbus.com/

no state tax

Only Tennessee currently beats NH on total personal taxes and by picking an area with low property tax rates you can beat this too.

geographic majority of the state being conservative leaning libertarian and the hard core liberals from California who move to Vegas and Reno because California is ruined but want to push the same nanny state here. Being caught between two steaming piles is the political norm and it looks worse every day.

While we do get the masshole problem Democrats in NH behave like Republicans in most other states, even democrat candidates have to support fiscal responsibility and pledge against raising taxes to get elected. NH has lots of localization too (including the ability for town's to set negative property tax rates to cancel out the state property taxes) which means many opportunities to improve things without involving the state.

If I move I'd like to purchase a large 10+ acres piece of land and simply be left alone when I choose. I love skiing, motorcycling and shooting and was wondering what counties would be likely candidates? Also, are there any realty sites you could recommend? I'm single without kids and would only build or buy a modest home but would like the privacy that land brings.

http://www.landwatch.com/ is a great resource for finding land.

We have a porc realtor (who also happens to be one of our state rep's) http://porcupinerealestate.com/

For those that have built a home in NH, what was the permiting process like in the county you built in?

Zoning/planning is a town by town rather then state level. Some towns can be extremely backwards with this but given the acreage you are looking at you likely wont be contending with one of the big municipalities where this is an issue.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:39:18 pm by greap »

BDJ

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:55 pm »

Thanks for the links. Good info.

I am looking forward to getting a visit scheduled so I can assess the area for myself. I've seen a couple of properties online that are interesting but the reality is I worry about travel access since travel can be a pain here and we have decent flight routes.

porcupinerealtor

• Mark Warden Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:10 am »

I have nothing to add beyond greap's excellent post.
We can set you up with an auto-search function that will send an email whenever there is a new listing that matches your selected criteria for property.
Use the "Advanced Search" function at my site to narrow the search by price, county/town, acreage, # BR/BA, garage, age, etc.
Good luck. We hope you move soon. Liberty In Our Lifetime is happening here.
Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mark Warden
cell 603.391.2888
mark@porcupinerealestate.com
porcupinerealestate.com
facebook.com/porcupinerealestate
twitter.com/porcupinerealty

BDJ

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25:57 am »

Thanks, I had looked at your site. I think I'll have a much better idea after I visit since it is hard to quantify all the variables online.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:24:00 am »

A vast area of NH is within an hour of Manchester.  Keene is an hour and 15 minutes, Portsmouth is under an hour, Concord is only 20, and if you were driving in the middle of the night, Boston is only about an hour from Manchester.  Add traffic in, and some places take a bit longer (especially Boston), but if where you live doesn't take you long to reach an interstate, travel to ManchVegas is fairly quick.  

Finding 10 acres gets easier the further you get from the Massachusetts border.

http://www.nneren.com is also a good site for searching property, but contact the Porcupine Realtor as already suggested when you're ready to buy.

Consider coming during the New Hampshire Liberty Forum next February, the dates of which should be announced soon.

Winston Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:16:09 am »

There's definitely some interesting oppurtunities for FSP movers who work in surrounding states.  I work in CT at the Mass border, have no desire to leave the company I work at, but want to move when I finish college.  Winchester is a straight shot, 1:15 drive down 91 to Enfield, CT(good job market)and really anywhere in Western Mass is well within reach.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

time4liberty

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:48 am »

Yeah, "within an hour of manchester or boston airport" includes most of southern NH. You certainly aren't limited to the Manchester area.

Welcome btw! :)

BDJ

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:35 am »

Thanks guys! There are a few properties that look pretty good and one North of Keene looks excellent. I think I'll book a 8 day or so trip in the new year and stay a night or two in each area looking around. I don't look forward to having rust again but I can live with it if it means being left alone.

On another note, are there any long range shooting areas in Southern NH? Say a thousand yards minimum?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 07:02:33 am »

The 2013 New Hampshire Liberty Forum will be February 21st to 24th.  If you want to meet a lot of the people in the state, plan to come during that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up