Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Commute to Burlington MA  (Read 18456 times)

kelmi

Commute to Burlington MA
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:36:30 pm »

Hi,

I am planning to move to NH, I have a job offer from Burlington MA. Just asking if there is anybody commuting to Burlington from Nashua or some other part of southern NH. How is the traffic and is there some other things to consider?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Commute to Burlington MA
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »

Welcome!  :)

I don't make this commute personally, but a family member works in Bedford so we looked into this. Consensus seemed to be ~45-50 min to that area of MA from Nashua w/ typical commute traffic, although of course it can end up being longer (Route 3 tends to back up where it meets 495 and 128... you may not have to go as far as 128, depending on where in Burlington)
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

kelmi

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »

Thanks for the info!

I am coming to the area next week, is there anybody willing to show or tell more about the neighborhoods around there on Tuesday night?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:57 pm »

I am not in this area, but if you are a Facebook user, I would suggest checking with the Nashua Liberty Social group there
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »

Hi,

I am planning to move to NH, I have a job offer from Burlington MA. Just asking if there is anybody commuting to Burlington from Nashua or some other part of southern NH. How is the traffic and is there some other things to consider?

I commute to Boston from Salem, NH. So, I basically pass Burlington around my half way mark. If you leave before or after the traffic (which I do) my commute to Boston is usually about an hour. Leaving Salem at 6AM-7AM or 9:30AM-10AM, Burlington would likely be around 25 to 30 minutes. I'd encourage you to look at the I93 corridor (Salem, Windham, Londonderry, Derry, and near by towns) while you're up here. I93 is much easier than 3 (I have done both). Depending on where you are working in Burlington, 93 may be way easier than 3.

The trick for you with Burlington would be to get off I93 before you got near the 128 interchange and not to take 128 at all. 128 is very undersized and the interchange design cannot handle the traffic level. So, there is always a major backup.  If you want to get a good idea of the commute, visit http://boston.com/traffic and you can see the traffic along both possible routes around the times that you would plan to travel (you'll need to zoom out to see Southern NH & Northern MA).

The meet up for porcs along the I93 corridor would be Social Sundays at Murphy's Taproom in Manchester.

The only other thing I would consider (besides the traffic) about working in Burlington is if your employer is large enough to have any kind of shuttle program. The commuter rail does not run through Burlington. But, at least in Boston, many of the larger employers got together and formed a shuttle service called EZRide (and some other shuttle services) that bring people from the train stations to their offices.

porcupinerealtor

• Mark Warden Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:40:22 am »

The Nashua liberty social group is a good one to check out. If you are looking for help with finding a house to buy I can help. If you are looking for rentals, my site also has some tools though Craigslist offers the most options for rentals.
Mark Warden
cell 603.391.2888
mark@porcupinerealestate.com
porcupinerealestate.com
facebook.com/porcupinerealestate
twitter.com/porcupinerealty

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:10:30 am »

You can live in Nashua or Hudson and easily do a commute to Burlington.  I worked there when I moved to NH and while it took me 20 minutes to actually make it to the border of MA from my house, it only took me 20-25 more minutes to make it to where I worked in Burlington, which was not to far off Route 3.  Other areas of Burlington are a bit more out of the way, but Route 3 is usually the best path to get there, and you can generally avoid I-95 (called 128 in that area, and you want to avoid it if you can).  

Back in the 1990s Route 3 was expanded from 2 lanes each way to 3 lanes each way from the NH border to 128 (aka I-95).  I was commuting on it during the construction, but I happened to be going contra-flow, north in the morning and south in the evening.  The difference after that was finished was amazing.  Without traffic it's about 18 minutes or so from the NH border to 128.  If you are commuting during rush hour it will be slower, but unless there are accidents or other weather related delays, the slowdown usually makes it 30 minutes from 128 to the NH border.  Fridays tend to be the worst, this last Friday all the leaf peepers and those wanting to go on a 3 day vacation headed out early on Friday causing some of the worst traffic jams without snow we've seen in years.

If you are able to go to your job early and leave early (before 4pm), or late/late (leaving after 7pm) you will generally have better luck with traffic.

As for other considerations, if you want to be involved in the government of where you live, there are differences between living in a city such as Nashua or a town such as Hudson.  It's pretty easy to get elected or appointed to the various committees in towns.  Someone living in Nashua can report on opportunities there, but for example on our town's budget committee we only had 2 people running for 3 seats last March.  The budget committee is one of the stops for the town and school budgets to be reviewed and changed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:14:03 am by JonM »

Jack Nelson

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:49 pm »

Jobs are too plentiful here in New Hampshire to be treating an offer from an employer in Burlington, MA as if it were worth building a routine around.  Use it as a stepping-stone, maybe, but the less time you invest commuting into Massachusetts the higher your quality of life will be.  I lived my whole life in Massachusetts until I was 18, then tried moving back TWICE.  Regretted it both times.  I live for the past 2 months in southern NH and work in southern NH.  You'll have more time for the rest of life, whether getting involved in your local community's governance or loved ones or school or just enjoying NH, the less time you spend on 93 trying to get to / from MA.

And we drive better here.  It's the New Hampshire way. 
Jack Nelson

kelmi

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I can move in February at the earliest.

lindaNH

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 03:51:35 am »

I started commuting from Concord, NH to Burlington, MA two days/week.  From Concord to Windham, there is no traffic.  I leave at 5:15 am.  After Windham, it slows down to a crawl.  It's 62 minutes commute, but takes me at least an hour and 20 minutes.  I'd like to try getting off 93  in Windham, and taking an alternate route into Burlington.  Any ideas? 

kelmi

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:49:40 am »

I'm driving from Nashua to Burlington MA using Route 3 almost every day, even when leaving at 5:45 there is usually no crawling, some traffic but the speed of the traffic keeps over 60 mph.
Instead of taking I-93 try the Everett Turnpike/Route 3, might be worth the $2 paid in tolls.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »

I started commuting from Concord, NH to Burlington, MA two days/week.  From Concord to Windham, there is no traffic.  I leave at 5:15 am.  After Windham, it slows down to a crawl.  It's 62 minutes commute, but takes me at least an hour and 20 minutes.  I'd like to try getting off 93  in Windham, and taking an alternate route into Burlington.  Any ideas? 

When there's an accident or something on I93, I'll get off and take HW 28 and then get back on. 28 runs basically parallel to I93. The only
thing is that 28 runs through Lawrence and it's not a very straight shot. So, using 28 will probably not be faster until you're south of
Lawrence.

I have a GPS that has traffic avoidance capabilities. It receives real time updates from FM radio. It cost me about $100 five or six years
ago. Now days, if you have a smart phone, you can get an app that does the same thing for a few dollars. And, if you go to some of
the search engine map sites, they will often display multiple routes and you can try mixes and matches of them during your commute.

The traffic from Windham south should get much better at the end of the summer, when a portion of the I93 widening is completed south
of Exit 3.

The problem is just that so many people are moving into NH to escape the taxes and poor economies of the surrounding states. Yet,
companies haven't started moving yet because surrounding states are retaining them with bribes (tax brakes) and NH property
taxes are so high. We need move movers to vote to lower property taxes, especially in southern NH along the I93 corridor.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »

I don't know what the median rate in Mass is; but the latest rate information has many municipalities with rates comparable to NH rates.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:38 pm »

LindaNH: Take Rt 3.  It doesn't usually get bad until 6:30 or so in the morning.  When I commuted from Nashua to Billerica (right next to Burlington) it took me 20 mins on average at the hieght of rush hour..  With the time being as little as 10 mins to as much as an hour.  When you take 93 3/4ths of the drivers with you are going to Boston so the traffic is much heavier.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

ANALOG4NDY

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »

Bump for someone commuting to Waltham. I'm moving by the end of the year and would like to see how it looks. Right now I spend enough time in this godforsaken state on 128 and need a little northern lovin from my favorite state. Seeing what typical travel times are to Waltham from Nashua
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up