Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood Coal  (Read 4066 times)

Sam Adams

Wood Coal
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »

Since people seem very interested in alternative energy, has anyone checked out wood coal? Its pre-burnt wood, burnt into gases [CO2] and exhaust into a small chamber that fuels a carb, or even fuel injector. Good for generators, small engines, tractors. I,ve read a farmer down south was using his extra wood chips ,pallets, to run several pick ups with V8 engines. During and before WW1 farmers were fueling their homes, and equipment w/ wood coal. No need for gasoline. Army jeeps were even eguipped with this system.  :)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Wood Coal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »

I've always wondered why we didn't just throw wood, paper, cardboard, and other trash into a trash compactor in the car, then burn it all at high temperatures to run a Sterling engine.  It would cost almost nothing to operate, save our landfills, and you wouldn't have to pay for trash pickup.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:00:43 am »

Since people seem very interested in alternative energy, has anyone checked out wood coal? Its pre-burnt wood, burnt into gases [CO2] and exhaust into a small chamber that fuels a carb, or even fuel injector. Good for generators, small engines, tractors. I,ve read a farmer down south was using his extra wood chips ,pallets, to run several pick ups with V8 engines. During and before WW1 farmers were fueling their homes, and equipment w/ wood coal. No need for gasoline. Army jeeps were even eguipped with this system.  :)

The term is "wood gasification."  There are a number of folks who have converted modern vehicles to run on wood gas.  Basically, wood gas (also known as "producer gas") is the product of incomplete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels.  If you have a gaseous hydrocarbon, like propane, you'd use it directly, but if you have a solid hydrocarbon like cellulose, you need to do something to turn it into a gas.  The simplest (but not the only) way to achieve that is to burn it with less oxygen than it needs for complete combustion.  The product is carbon monoxide (CO, not CO2) and a fraction of hydrogen.

Unlike hydrocarbon gases, producer gas cannot easily be stored under pressure (it tends to explode), so you need to produce and use it at the same time, which means that, in the case of a vehicle, you need to drag your gas production equipment around with you.  That typically consists of a hopper full of fuel (wood chips, peach pits, or whatever), a reactor where the gas is produced, and at least one filtering device (but sometimes several devices - wood gas is dirty, and would destroy your engine quickly without filtering).  All that extra weight reduces the overall efficiency of the vehicle, but if the feedstock is cheap enough, then the economic efficiency may be higher than for gasoline.

It's typically easiest to convert pickup trucks, since there's room for all the equipment, and enough fuel for a reasonable range (the gasifiers hooked to cars during WWII didn't give many miles of travel).  It's also typical that the gasoline tank and equipment remain on the vehicle, since a gasifier takes around a quarter hour to heat up and start producing reasonable levels of gas.  Retaining the original gasoline equipment means that you can re-activate it with the flip of a switch if there's some pressing need to leave immediately.  Some folks have even set up systems which allow them to start on gasoline and then switch to wood gas while driving, once the gasifier is heated up and producing.  I know of one who actually has a system which allows him to run both fuels at the same time, if he needs to (wood gas doesn't have as much energy as gasoline, so kicking in a few percent gasoline can help him when he's towing a trailer up a hill).

Because of the size and weight of gasification equipment, it's best-suited to stationary installations like generators.  There are some nice gasifiers which will produce enough gas to run a 10-25kW genset.  A few such systems can actually be grid-tied.  Wood gas can also be used in certain heating applications, or to operate a chiller for air conditioning or refrigeration.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:32 am »

I've always wondered why we didn't just throw wood, paper, cardboard, and other trash into a trash compactor in the car, then burn it all at high temperatures to run a Sterling engine.  It would cost almost nothing to operate, save our landfills, and you wouldn't have to pay for trash pickup.

Because burning many types of trash would produce toxic chemicals, and because external combustion is inherently inefficient.  There's a reason we don't drive around in cars powered by steam engines, any more.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Sam Adams

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:08 pm »

Theres a few ways of gasifacation, methane through landfills, manure, and composing wood mulch. Don,t understand why we are still using oil. Big business and cheap fuel I quess, that will change sooner than later as we see ration fuel at 8.00 a gallon.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »

Developed infrastructure.

Sam Adams

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:42 am »

Found a good web site about alternative energy, organic farms,etc. Its pretty involved but seems to be well writen. There is a few plans and specs. on Methane Digesters and compares properties of the different products to digest and their efficiencies. www.journey to forever.com  Also article in it, about fox reporting the death of osama in dec 26th 2001. ps. Methane can be used to run water heater to heat the Digester in cold weather. Good web site, you might enjoy it.

powersupplyguy

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:00:50 am »

I went to www.journey.com and is wasn't what you describe.

thanks.
PSG

Sam Adams

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:28:44 am »

I went to www.journey.com and is wasn't what you describe.

thanks.
PSG
       Sorry about that. The site is  www.Journeytoforever.org  maybe it has spaces between the words. I have to check the specs. on the 3 inch copper alcohol still for running your gas engine on alcohol like 99% of Brazil does, but they use sugar cane [ethanol].
Pages: [1]   Go Up