Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: From OR to NH, any other states like MA that make transit w/firearms a felony?  (Read 16816 times)

FormulaXFD

On the Firearms guide linked from the freestateproject.org front page, it made no mention of NY explicitly disregarding FOPA as MA does.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant

On the Firearms guide linked from the freestateproject.org front page, it made no mention of NY explicitly disregarding FOPA as MA does.

It's not official policy anywhere. NJ and NYC (as opposed to NYS) are the two locations that seem devoted to ignoring it.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

Can you link to the actual guide you're reading?  I don't see one that matches that.

In any case, both NY and Mass have strongly-anti-gun governments.  In a number of ways, NY is actually worse than Mass.  It's actually possible for a non-resident to get a Mass license to carry, even if it's a hassle, and by no means certain that they will decide to issue one.  NY does not issue non-resident licenses, at all (there's no provision for such a thing, within their laws).
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

FormulaXFD

Sure: http://www.pgnh.org/gunlawfaqs

The specific quote is:
"Q: What if I want to visit Massachusetts?

A:  WARNING – WARNING – WARNING!  Unless you have a Massachusetts non-resident License to Carry, bringing a firearm into Massachusetts is a FELONY, with minimum mandatory imprisonment of 18 months!  And, believe it or not, bringing an EMPTY SHELL CASING — which Massachusetts considers an “ammunition component” — can also get you jailed, in this case for up to two years."

And in re-reading this, the response is contingent upon "visiting" not passing through... so ... I'm wrong. I read the "bringing a firearm into Mass is a FELONY" and that threw a flag. So I guess I just need to UPS my ammo?

Auspicious Aspect

It's more the "bringing a firearm into the state is an automatic felony" in MA that is the paranoia. NY might be equivalently bad as MA, but the codified law really offsets the value :\

That is for unlicensed non-residents who enter Mass on a casual "visit." It doesn't refer to transiting the state under FOPA. MA generally honors the federal law. NY sometimes does not. For that matter, it's also a felony for unlicensed non-residents to bring a handgun and some other types of firearms into NY, and NY does not issue non-resident licenses.

For MA gun laws, I would rely on the GOAL (Gun Owners Action League) website. They address FOPA about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://goal.org/masslawpages/travelinfo.html

FrugalFannie

In reading up on gun laws from the front page, I learned that if my weapons were in the u-haul and I went through MA to get to NH, I could get busted seriously with multiple felony counts for breeching some stupid law of theirs by just transporting lawfully owned firearms across the border (even in their cases, locked). Learning of this, in spite of the FOPA, are there any other states which are similarly Tyrannical that I have to avoid on the way over from Oregon?

MA gun laws are terrible but not quite as bad as you may think. You do need to follow FOPA rules when traveling through MA with firearms and it's best if you do not get stopped for anything. But if you do, do not consent to search. We are not a 'must inform' state so you would be under no obligation to tell anyone you are transporting firearms. I would rather stop for the night in MA then NY, for sure!

FormulaXFD

So does this route look better? http://tinyurl.com/9bhl8mt

It drops 30 miles off of the count, and has me only briefly in NY compared to prior duration.

Auspicious Aspect

So does this route look better? http://tinyurl.com/9bhl8mt

It drops 30 miles off of the count, and has me only briefly in NY compared to prior duration.

That is almost exactly one of the routes I prefer.

My only suggestion would be to think twice about using I-290 to go between I-90 and I-495. Yes, it will save you a small amount of tolls (I-90 is the Massachusetts Turnpike, a toll road), but as you can tell from the route number, it runs right through a city - Worcester, in this case. The lanes gets both slower and narrower there, and sections are usually under construction. I would suggest that you make the decision at the time based on traffic load and how you are feeling.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator

I-290 is somewhat time dependent, you do NOT want to be going through there during any sort of commuter hours.

Have you considered getting an E-ZPass?  http://e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass/where-can-i-use-it

Once you hit Illinois you'll be within the E-ZPass network, and being able to go through the tolls without having to wait to pay cash might save you a good bit of time.  Some states have open road tolling, meaning your transponder can be charged while you are going highway speed under a gantry with the tolling equipment, and not have to move off the main road to a toll plaza, as you would if you were paying cash.  Some states even give out of state transponders a discount on the tolls, you'd save $5.25 while going through Ohio if you were on their turnpike from west to east.

https://www.ezpassnh.com/en/home/index.shtml  The transponders cost $8.90 in NH, but they charge a bit more and put the extra $ on it as pre-paid tolls.  You can apply online, and they should mail one to you.  If you link it to a credit card you don't have to worry about having enough pre-paid tolls for the trip.

The downside for the privacy conscious is a record of your trip in each state, but then they might be keeping a record of ya if you go through the cash lane anyway.

FormulaXFD

I'll need the EZPass for I93 commuting anyway, won't I?

Auspicious Aspect

No one wanting to maximize freedom in their lives would use the EZPass company's services.

You can still use NH toll roads without it.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator

Currently there is a 30% discount for NH based E-ZPasses on NH tolls.  There is talk about a commuter discount program that would cap the total # of tolls you'd have to pay in a month. Time will tell if that gets implemented.  The bill this session didn't go anywhere.

You'd want an E-ZPass if you were going up I-93 to Concord.  They're currently working on installing open road tolling at the Hooksett plaza, so by next summer those with an E-ZPass will be able to go through at highway speed.  There is currently ORT on the I-95 tolls in NH as well.  This severely reduces the delay to get to the delay at the Maine tolls.

There may at some point in the future be an anonymous E-ZPass transponder you'd be able to buy for cash and reload with cash.  The only downside to such anonymity is if your transponder does not get read (they do claim 99.99%, but I've had my E-ZPass not read a few times, and I don't use it that often), then you'd get a toll violation.  Currently the violation is the price of the toll plus $1 administration fee, so long as you pay it in 30 days.  If you have a normal E-ZPass, you register your car's plates to it, so if the transponder does not get read, they match your plate to your account and debit that rather than giving you a violation.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator

No one wanting to maximize freedom in their lives would use the EZPass company's services.

You can still use NH toll roads without it.
Peering into the future, as more alternative vehicles take to the roads, and the more gas mileage improves, the amount of money collected by the road toll (gas tax) will fall even further short of what is needed to maintain and improve the roads.  The answer may be registration surcharges (does not take use into account), an expansion of the turnpike (user fee) system, as 3 states are currently converting interstates into toll roads, or very invasive GPS units in your car that tells the authorities which states you drove in so they can assess you a fee and apportion it to where you used your vehicle.  I prefer the turnpike in that instance. 

Of course, there may be other answers, perhaps Solar Roadways will actually successfully build glass roads, figure out how to inductively charge an electric vehicle going 70 miles an hour, and change the world.  Perhaps.

Jack Nelson

• FSP Participant

You could not have done a better job advancing the agenda of the gun-ban people.

I hope you're proud of the damage you've done.

2,000-plus people have read your eye-catching headline and have this marvelous seed planted in their mind, that exercising their 2nd Amendment rights is going to net them a world of trouble.

How would you propose to begin to undo that damage?
Jack Nelson

FormulaXFD

You could not have done a better job advancing the agenda of the gun-ban people. I hope you're proud of the damage you've done.

2,000-plus people have read your eye-catching headline and have this marvelous seed planted in their mind, that exercising their 2nd Amendment rights is going to net them a world of trouble.
How would you propose to begin to undo that damage.

If 2,000 people are reading this headline, then that is showing 2000 people that this fire-arm owner is trying to be responsible enough to deal with possible problems involved in a move by asking questions. There is nothing more important to fight against the anti-gun crowd than showing that fire-arm owners can be, and are, responsible with their weapons.

Your claim is outright nonsense, and I would challenge you to provide an evidence based argument to back up your claim. You are otherwise welcome to dismiss yourself from this thread.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:17:01 pm by FormulaXFD »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up