Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: From OR to NH, any other states like MA that make transit w/firearms a felony?  (Read 16805 times)

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000

Is PA actually less insane than NY State? I can go across PA via I-80, head north via I-81, then to I-88, finally onto Highway 7.

But... NYState actually stops interstate traffic??

PA is much more sane than NY.  If you got your Utah permit it's reciprocal with PA.  Carry your piece to dinner.

I've been driving I-90 many years and the only blockades I've seen were back in the 60's near Silver Creek, where I-90 crosses the Indian reservation.  The tribe would light piles of tires to stop traffic every time the state tried to tax them.  The Governor would call within a few hours and promise to stop doing whatever if they would just clear the road.

I usually get off I-90 around Amsterdam, head north on 87 then east on 22 to get in to VT as soon as possible.  But I'm headed for Grafton, which part of NH are you aimed at?

Auspicious Aspect

Is PA actually less insane than NY State? I can go across PA via I-80, head north via I-81, then to I-88, finally onto Highway 7.

But... NYState actually stops interstate traffic??

It sounds like you're committed to coming in from the West on SR 7. It's a pretty route, but it can be very slow, especially in bad weather. Unless you have some particular reason to take the slower route, I would recommend I-80/84/91 to reach Western NH. For central/East, use I-80/84/90/ then 93 or 95.

Yes, PA is a lot better than NY. And yes, I have seen I-90 entirely blocked in NY while they searched vehicles.

FormulaXFD

I'm basically assuming that MA is a war-zone, so I'm trying to create a route which does not pass through it.

FormulaXFD

I usually get off I-90 around Amsterdam, head north on 87 then east on 22 to get in to VT as soon as possible.  But I'm headed for Grafton, which part of NH are you aimed at?

Chester, NH

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000

I usually get off I-90 around Amsterdam, head north on 87 then east on 22 to get in to VT as soon as possible.  But I'm headed for Grafton, which part of NH are you aimed at?

Chester, NH

So your map has you entering VT at Bennington and I aim for Rutland.
I find the southern route more challenging in bad weather because of the steep hills.
The northern route seems flatter.
When I checked Google Maps I was surprised that the travel time only varied by 5 minutes.

Will you be getting here before the snow?
Watch out for those 35MPH signs where you'd least expect them.  VT local cops use radar speed traps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:16:03 pm by Jerry »

FormulaXFD

So it looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/8gkvtcy

I don't know about the snow, I'm probably going to eat it hard in moving Mid November.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:33:57 pm by FormulaXFD »

Winston Smith

Don't risk your freedom on this, but I believe the commerce clause prohibits states from restricting/regulating the transportation of firearms THROUGH their state, although if you make any kind of stop within the state in question the entire story changes.  So long as the guns and ammo are locked up seperately and out of reach of occupants, I think you should be okay.  A few other suggestions that may be helpful:

Call the NRA rep for the state in question

Do an FFL transfer of your firearms(Shouldn't be necessary, but guaranteed to keep you legal)

If you are taking multiple vehicles, remove the bolts and bring them in another car, or ship them.(this is similar to AR15's where only the lower receiver is considered a firearm)

Have UPS/FEDEX ship them(UPS Stores will only ship muzzleloaders or guns made before 1898, but if you call they can direct you to a hub capable of shipping firearms)

Whatever you do, make sure you cross the T's, dot the I's, and stay out of the Communist Republic of Massachusetts as much as possible.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

Auspicious Aspect

So it looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/8gkvtcy

I don't know about the snow, I'm probably going to eat it hard in moving Mid November.

As an extreme example of how bad that road can get, it once took me 7 hours to drive from Albany to Keene, going across Vermont in a snowstorm.

Auspicious Aspect

I'm basically assuming that MA is a war-zone, so I'm trying to create a route which does not pass through it.

Nah, the Mass Turnpike (I-90) is fine. The state troopers there are only concerned with speeding, and they are even loose about that West of I-84. If you go 80/81/84/90/495/93 you will avoid the denser area around Boston and it will bring you right into Manchester.

FormulaXFD

Do an FFL transfer of your firearms(Shouldn't be necessary, but guaranteed to keep you legal)

If I did an FFL transfer, I would probably just fly over (still figuring out how to deal with my cat).

I'm not particularly interested in re-running through a NICS check on all my toys though.

As an extreme example of how bad that road can get, it once took me 7 hours to drive from Albany to Keene, going across Vermont in a snowstorm.

Uhg. How much better (if at all) would be via Rutland?

Nah, the Mass Turnpike (I-90) is fine. The state troopers there are only concerned with speeding, and they are even loose about that West of I-84. If you go 80/81/84/90/495/93 you will avoid the denser area around Boston and it will bring you right into Manchester.

It's Mass. Not going to touch it.

Edit: ... given that I'm now at the stage where I'm trying to buy a house and work on moving... do I still count as a prospective mover? XD
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:26:49 am by FormulaXFD »

BDJ

But you really don't want to try taking guns into Canada.

That is correct. In Canada they don't even issue permits to off duty officers and you have virtually no right to protection. Only criminals have them in Canada.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage

Mid-November shouldn't be bad for snow. It would have to be a truly freak event to get anything more than a couple of inches, which you wouldn't even notice on the road. January and February are the times of the year you have to watch out for.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Auspicious Aspect

It's Mass. Not going to touch it.

Obviously, you have to be comfortable with your route, and I hope that you arrive safely, whatever roads you use.

But if you are under the impression that gun owners transiting NY are in less danger from the state than those transiting MA, you have been grossly misinformed. NY is one of the few places that does not always honor FOPA, where MA generally does.

FormulaXFD

It's more the "bringing a firearm into the state is an automatic felony" in MA that is the paranoia. NY might be equivalently bad as MA, but the codified law really offsets the value :\

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

It's more the "bringing a firearm into the state is an automatic felony" in MA that is the paranoia. NY might be equivalently bad as MA, but the codified law really offsets the value :\

I'm pretty sure that's the case in NY, as well, isn't it?
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up