Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transgender people in NH  (Read 2760 times)

puruslux

Transgender people in NH
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:12:39 am »

I was wondering what the general atmosphere towards LGBT people, transgender people in particular, was in New Hampshire. As a trans woman, well, this would be an important factor in deciding whether or not the fine state of New Hampshire is a good choice for me.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Transgender people in NH
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:19 pm »

Welcome!  :)

In general, I'd say NH is more gay friendly than many places. As an anecdote, during the whole Chick-fil-A thing, the New Hampshire franchisee "went rogue" and sponsored the NH Gay Pride Festival. I am not as familiar with transgender issues but recently here in NH there was what some consider to be a victory for transgender tolerance.

I hope that helps and would encourage you to come visit and meet people! PorcFest is a great time to visit, and there is even a Big Gay Dance Party event that is becoming a tradition at Porcfest.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »

I encourage you to check out this NH-based TG group. They would have the best first-hand experiences to discuss. Also check out Flaming Freedom including our Facebook page. We frequently discuss TG issues on the show.

We have the same issues to work on as anywhere but I think we're doing pretty well, all things considered. FWIW, we seem to have more trans folk visiting Porcfest each year and I've talked to many of them personally. Those I spoke with all had generally positive things to say about the experience.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:01:54 pm by dalebert »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »

NH is also the gayest state, so there's a good bit of tolerance.

There are always intolerant jerks, but NH is known for tolerance.  "Live and let live" is the unofficial motto, right after "life free or die." [full quote, from which the motto is extracted: "life free or die; death is not the worst of all evils" - John Stark]

The NH Constitution actually starts with the State's Bill of Rights, and you can probably see that they are more-strongly worded in favor of individual rights than in most other states.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

puruslux

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:06:20 am »

Wow, this is all very good to hear! Thank you very much for replying. Now all I need to do is find an informed consent clinic and I'd totally move out there. D: I'm presently 23 years old and such.

BDJ

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:41 am »

There are people everywhere that are intolerant but libertarians, at least this one, just don't care as long as you're not forcing your way of life on anyone else or asking them to subsidize it. The very idea of being left alone is the reason I am lookin into NH. In my case, it isn't about wanting to be free to actually do anything but just to get away from all the folks that know how to live other peoples lives and be around people who respect and treat each other like adults even if they don't agree.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:29 am »

I was gonna say "You really should ignore everybody in this thread except Dalebert, because he's gay and a prominent member of the FSP community."

And then I realized that you asked about transgender acceptance, which doesn't mean you consider yourself gay.

And then I thought it was awesome that I needed to point it out.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:23 am »

Serious anecdote.

Two weekends ago, a good friend of mine (Free Stater, Manchester, happens to be gay) were driving in rural Vermont with a rather large drag queen. It was late and we were hungry, so between jokes about banjo music playing and cell coverage outages, we found a place to go for dinner.

They were closed, so we went next door.

The three of us get out of the car, order food, use the bathroom and wait for our sandwiches to be ready.

The cashier says "Oh, that's so pretty, who did that?" to the drag queen.

The only person, in two New England states and hundreds of miles of driving, who mentioned the fact that there was a drag queen in our party did so by complimenting a makeup job. :)

I love living here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up