Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to move soon - what is the cost of living there?  (Read 4088 times)

american

Looking to move soon - what is the cost of living there?
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:26:04 pm »

Hello,

I am thinking of getting out of the Air Force at my 8 year mark and moving to New Hampshire to take part in the FSP. Aside from finding a job, my main concern is the cost of living. I have a lot of family from NH and they all tell me that I don't want to go there because of the cost of living being so high. Can you guys fill me in? Is NH ridiculous pants on head expensive?

Perhaps this isn't the right forum to ask this question, but:

I am absolutely horrified at the thought of getting out of the Air Force. This is all I know. I've never worked in the competitive work force that's out there. I almost feel guilty, like I am collecting a welfare check, because once your in (assuming you're not a dirt bag) you get your pay on the 1st and 15th and as long as you do as your told you'll always be taken care of. I have great benefits for my family and myself. I am afraid of not being able to get a job that comes close to this and I have a family to look out for. I'm a staff sergeant, I have an associates degree in Aerospace Maintenance Technology and an Instructor of Technology and Military Science associates degree. I'm starting to work on a BA in Technical Management.

Does anyone know of a good source or contact for job hunting in NH?

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Looking to move soon - what is the cost of living there?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »

high cost of living?  Compared to where exactly?  New England in general does have a high cost of living with most states falling in the top ten.  NH is lower than average for New England though, but not as low as Maine from what I've seen.  I've lived in both states.

There is a Jobs section on this form you may want to look at.  I'm not sure what your degree qualifies you for.  I know the defense contractor BAE has stuff in Nashua.  Pratt and Whitney has a location just over the border in North Berwick Maine that's an easy commute.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

american

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »

Many of them are in Delaware now. I talked to a relative yesterday (living in NH) and told them about my potential plans; they made it sounds like NH was just ridiculous when it comes to property taxes. ???

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:48:14 am »

Delware has a pretty high cost of living.  Not sure where it falls, but I know the neighboring state of Maryland has one of the highest.

As for taxes, NH has one of the lowest overall tax burdens in the nation.  it has fewer taxes than other states (No sales tax, no income tax).  A result of that is they have to get the money from somewhere else.  So the property taxes are higher on average.  How ever it does vary from town to town.  Some towns have taxes around $9 per thousand others have it around $25 per thousand.  Overall though people in NH pay less in taxes then most since the state is milking them less in other areas.  From what I've seen in my house hunting experience is that house prices around here are lower than neighboring states, a result of that is you don't end up paying as much in property taxes than you think you would if you bought the same house in another near by state.  I don't know how that compare to further away states like Delaware though since I was only looking at house prices in New England.

NH does have some negative points, all states do,  overall NH is very good and is getting better thanks to the free state movement.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:00:49 am »

IMO, the cost of living is likely more expensive in DE than in NH. The only way I could see DE being less expensive is if you don't work (so you don't have to pay income taxes) and live in a poor section of a dangerous city (so you don't have to pay rent.) There are certain towns in NH that are expensive. As long as you don't live in places like Hanover, Portsmouth, Durham and Dover in NH, your cost of living will not be high.

I used to live in 1 of the largest cities in the South and it cost more to live (somewhat safely) in that city then it does to live (somewhat safely) in NH. Food prices are about the same. Gas prices are about the same. Auto insurance is lower in NH. The 1 noticeable increase in cost of living is health insurance is more expensive in New England than most of the US. Also, college costs more in New England than most of the US. Other than those 2 expensive, NH is likely less expensive than pretty much every major city in the US.

PS, I spent 8 years in the military myself :)

No personal income tax, no sales tax, no liquor taxes, no personal property tax... If you have a small business in NH, you are likely paying no corporate income taxes on it.

NH is the least expensive state to own an automobile. Plus, it is the most liveable state, the safest state, the smartest state, near the best educated state and so on.

In Keene, a 4 bedroom goes from between $900 to $1400 per month, from what I've seen recently. Both of the 4 bedrooms I've seen for $1400 in Keene could be used as 5 bedrooms, if you want to using the dining room that way. I've seen 3 bedrooms in Manchester for b/t $1000 and $1200.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:20:57 am by LoveAndPeace »

time4liberty

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:15:24 am »

Hello,

I am thinking of getting out of the Air Force at my 8 year mark and moving to New Hampshire to take part in the FSP.

Welcome! :)

Aside from finding a job, my main concern is the cost of living. I have a lot of family from NH and they all tell me that I don't want to go there because of the cost of living being so high. Can you guys fill me in? Is NH ridiculous pants on head expensive?

From my perspective, it's very, very cheap -- but then the last two places I lived before NH were LA and Chicago, so I guess I can't really compare.

Gas is 3.70 a gallon now. You can get a nice two bedroom apartment for about 800-900 a month. Most people who've moved from other places say Market Basket is quite a lot cheaper (that's one of the major supermarket chains around here).

There's no income or sales tax, which is great (that's a 20% raise from CA, right there).

Perhaps this isn't the right forum to ask this question, but:

I am absolutely horrified at the thought of getting out of the Air Force. This is all I know. I've never worked in the competitive work force that's out there. I almost feel guilty, like I am collecting a welfare check, because once your in (assuming you're not a dirt bag) you get your pay on the 1st and 15th and as long as you do as your told you'll always be taken care of. I have great benefits for my family and myself. I am afraid of not being able to get a job that comes close to this and I have a family to look out for. I'm a staff sergeant, I have an associates degree in Aerospace Maintenance Technology and an Instructor of Technology and Military Science associates degree. I'm starting to work on a BA in Technical Management.

Does anyone know of a good source or contact for job hunting in NH?

I highly recommend indeed.com -- when I was looking for a job last summer, it was a terrific find. It includes all listings from other job websites, like monster, dice, etc - so you don't have to look all over creation.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:17:47 am by time4liberty »

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:03 am »

You don't necessarily need to get out of the Air Force, Hanscom AFB is only 25 miles south of Nashua (very easily commutable). Is it possible for you to get reassigned to a job a Hanscom? There is also the Pease Air National Guard base in Portsmouth, NH. So, maybe you could sign up for the guard and get based there? That would let you keep some military income and benefits.

You could also talk with Jim Forsythe: http://jimforsythe.com He attended some of the Manchester, NH free stater meet ups and is an AF vet. He's very friendly and a nice guy.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

Aside from finding a job, my main concern is the cost of living. I have a lot of family from NH and they all tell me that I don't want to go there because of the cost of living being so high. Can you guys fill me in? Is NH ridiculous pants on head expensive?

NH is above the national average as is the rest of New England but its certainly manageable and wages tend to reflect the increase in cost of living. http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html will let you compare, it will only let you compare Manchester which is relatively expensive (for everything other then Rent) so keep in mind there are many towns where you can reduce this further. From DE it looks to be 10% higher.

The military is the one part of the federal government that doesn't pay better then private industry so expect a pay bump, depending on what you do this could be significant. Given what your associates degree is I am presuming you are in some kind of maintenance job? If you wanted to stay in the same field then there are a metric shit tonne of defense contractors about, BAE in particular have a huge presence in NH.

A sideways movement would be towards the PM side and you would have your choice of fields from IT, Healthcare (both great for NH) etc. For IT the median salary for entry level PM is highest in the south (Nashua area) and stands at $78,131 rising to $106,215 after 15 years. Unless you are contracting  you will struggle to find somewhere which doesn't offer benefits. You could also combine your skills and you PM for one of the defense contractors, you could end up with a much larger starting salary.

american

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:12:51 am »

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by PM?

My career field is Tactical Aircraft Maintenance, specifically F22 Raptors.

You guys are making this sound too good, my family is begging me to stay in saying THERE'S NO JOBS DON'T GET OUT! !  Meanwhile my wife is dying to see new Hampshire.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:04 am »

If you click on the person's name... it will take you to a different screen.
At the bottom you can send them a Personal Message. They will reply through your PM box.

Hopefully I explained that right.

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 06:26:54 pm »

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by PM?

My career field is Tactical Aircraft Maintenance, specifically F22 Raptors.

You guys are making this sound too good, my family is begging me to stay in saying THERE'S NO JOBS DON'T GET OUT! !  Meanwhile my wife is dying to see new Hampshire.

The nearest fighter units are in VT (F-16s) and MA (F-15s). CT flys A-10s. The NH Air National Guard operates KC-135s. There is a fair amount of both general and corporate aviation, commercial maintenance, and historic aircraft in NH, as well as parts suppliers and a decent college A&P program in Nashua. There are a lot of defense contractors in the area, making electronics, optics, guns, and all sorts of other interesting stuff.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:50 am »

If you want to stay in the field of aircraft maintenance, but could move to different types of planes, you could look at working for a commercial passenger or freight airline (these might involve a lot of travel, as they would tend to be national in their scope) or try to get on at a small non-passenger airport. There are quite a few of these, the one near me, Rochester's Skyhaven Airport is one such. Or you might even look at a flight school, see if any flying instructors need maintenance workers.

I'm not sure what greap meant by PM either, but it wasn't about how to do something on the forum.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

hello_good_sir

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »

Jobs are hard to find right now.  If you don't mind being in the Airforce I would stick it out another 12 years and retire.  Then you could actually retire, instead of like starting a second career like most do.  You could find somewhere super cheap where your retirement check would be enough to pay the mortgage and grocery bill.  Yeah you'd be pretty much a moocher your whole life but from a personal perspective it makes sense.  If you get out and can't find a job the stress could destroy your marriage and then you lose your kids and half of your paycheck.  We're going through a time of turmoil.  Just make sure that you instill a love of liberty into your kids.  It would be easier in NH but if your life falls apart then it will be impossible.

Ever since I first heard about the FSP (which was like a decade ago?) I've wanted to participate.  I still haven't managed to get to NH.  However there is a good chance that I'll get there someday.  Once you're there then your children are likely to stay.  I'm thinking about the FSP in terms of generations rather than years.  Some people are more capable and better at taking risks.  Those are the success stories that you hear about.  I am sure that there are a few failures too (people who couldn't make it in NH), but no one hears about them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up