Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are some ways to earn funds to move?  (Read 4452 times)

Aahz

• Anarchist Dad
    • PorcCalendar
Re: What are some ways to earn funds to move?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

Is there benefit to finding temporary housing if you live close enough(~7 h) to visit a couple times?

Only you can really answer this question.  While I see the wisdom of looking around first and/or getting temp housing to explore from as a base, we did neither.  We used to live in California.  Funding a trip to visit would have meant delaying the actual move.  We weren't interested in that.

I also work from home, and my daughter (16) is just starting out with work, so specific jobs weren't an issue for either of us.  Coming from a metropolitan area, we knew we wanted as much city as possible.  So, we found an apartment online from a reliable landlord and signed the lease before even leaving Cali.

It's worked out great for us, but your mileage may vary.

-Aahz
PorcCalendar  - All of New Hampshire's Liberty Events in ONE Place!

FrugalFannie

Re: What are some ways to earn funds to move?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »

Is there benefit to finding temporary housing if you live close enough(~7 h) to visit a couple times? Luckily I have a job where I work from home and will not have any issues moving to NH, and my wife is in a field that seems to be equally available in most areas. There are some other considerations as to where we decide to move, but I think I would prefer to visit the area a couple times and get a feel for it rather than waste money renting a place for months. I also plan on purchasing a foreclosed property so that may dictate the area as well.

I live about 10 miles south of NH and once we sell our house we will be renting for at least a year before we decide where to live on a more permanent basis. When we bought our home we were moving from the next town over but still had no real idea of what the town itself was like. For us, we do not feel comfortable buying in a town until we have rented there if possible given our last experience. BTW, we have lived in our house for 12 years now but the things we dislike about our town we learned in the first year of living here and would have been better off if we had rented first and realized this was not the town for us.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up