Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What are some ways to earn funds to move?  (Read 4451 times)

mdistefano82

What are some ways to earn funds to move?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:04 am »

So after my talk with my friend and his wife, we are beginning the process of doing all our homework on moving to New Hampshire. Getting jobs there sounds like it will be realistic. My wife is a nurse and I am a GI Tech. My buddy Justin is an HVAC supervisor. However, I know moving is expensive and there is a lot that goes into it. Living in California makes it hard for those like us, who are considered upper middle class here (even though we are fiscally conservative and STILL can't save enough money). Our goal is to buy land and share in the experience of being self sufficient (garden, livestock, etc etc). What are some ways to raise money? Does anyone in the FSP have any experiences similar? I'm not looking for a handout.

Thanks.

Matt

time4liberty

Re: What are some ways to earn funds to move?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:31:21 am »

So after my talk with my friend and his wife, we are beginning the process of doing all our homework on moving to New Hampshire. Getting jobs there sounds like it will be realistic. My wife is a nurse and I am a GI Tech. My buddy Justin is an HVAC supervisor. However, I know moving is expensive and there is a lot that goes into it. Living in California makes it hard for those like us, who are considered upper middle class here (even though we are fiscally conservative and STILL can't save enough money). Our goal is to buy land and share in the experience of being self sufficient (garden, livestock, etc etc). What are some ways to raise money? Does anyone in the FSP have any experiences similar? I'm not looking for a handout.

Thanks.

Matt

If it were me, I'd move first, and live in an apartment until I'd scoped out the surrounding areas enough to know where I'd want to live, saved the money to buy the land, and found the right property.

It's easier to find jobs when you're here, but that's only feasible if you have enough living expenses saved to cover, say, 6 months or so.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:38:03 am by time4liberty »

mdistefano82

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18:02 am »

i think I would have to contact some local hospitals and see what their process is for people moving in from out of the area. I would be incredibly nervous not having atleast one of us having income. my friend does have an income from an investment that is producing 4K per month so thatwill help

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »

Shouldn't be too hard. Only so many hospitals in the State and you'll want to be close to where you envision your homestead to be the most efficient.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »

i think I would have to contact some local hospitals and see what their process is for people moving in from out of the area. I would be incredibly nervous not having atleast one of us having income.

Definitely.  But move first into something temporary, rather than buying a place.  You may find that, after actually getting here, you prefer a different area.  Altogether too many folks have moved here, then regretted their choice of location.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

doobie

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »

A job, a loan, or become the government and steal it!

mdistefano82

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »

I'll just steal it then. Plenty of suckers here in California  ;). I think we'll find temporary housing for sure

m

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

My wife is a nurse. Nurses don't get hired unless they are fully licensed. And you can't get a license until you have residency in New Hampshire. So, we moved to Manchester first. She got a job selling shoes in Macy's. Immediately upon arrival she applied for her license. Then she got her license. Then she applied for jobs. We moved to Grafton County six months after we arrived in Manchester. That's how long the process took. However, she only had a year's experience in a private practice in California so that reduced her opportunities as most places required minimum 3 yrs experience.

Long story short, your wife won't have a job waiting for her in New Hampshire. You'll have to get here first. Also, where she gets hired will likely determine where you live, not the other way around.

mdistefano82

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »

that kind of sucks. She has been a critical nurse in california for 4 years and now is a GI nurse. She has been a nurse overall for 8 years. I guess we'll have to just apply for license when we get there if that is the case. I'm sure we'll be talking to the board of nursing beforehand.

thx

m

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »

Actually, this would seem applicable, since it lists both CA and NH as member states: Nurse Licensure Compact
(found linked on the NH Board of Nursing site, so I'd presume that means it's accurate, or they wouldn't link to it)

According to the information on the site, a nurse in any member state can practice in any other member state, and has 30 days after a formal change of residence to practice in the new state.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:24:50 pm »

Actually, this would seem applicable, since it lists both CA and NH as member states: Nurse Licensure Compact
(found linked on the NH Board of Nursing site, so I'd presume that means it's accurate, or they wouldn't link to it)

According to the information on the site, a nurse in any member state can practice in any other member state, and has 30 days after a formal change of residence to practice in the new state.

Your link shows NH in blue, but not CA.

mdistefano82

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42:42 am »

when we moved out of california, we didn't have a problem. most states recognize california and allow them to just get a license transfer to that state. I'll contact the board of nursing

thanks.

matt

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 10:55:20 am »

Here is something highly relevant: http://thenewporcupine.com/ New mover who documented her entire moving experience of moving from CA to NH.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

What MaineShark said (although the NLC only applies to RN's and practical nurses, not NP's), PLUS... If you are a nurse practitioner, NH is one of the few states in the country with what's called a nursing consultation exception, with no limitations. That means that if you are licensed as a NP anywhere in the country, you are allowed to practice in NH - but you need to get your NH license once you become resident in NH:
http://www.ctel.org/research/50%20State%20Surey%20and%20Analysis%20on%20Licensure%20Laws%20for%20Nurse%20Practitioners.pdf
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Krythis

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 06:45:25 am »

Is there benefit to finding temporary housing if you live close enough(~7 h) to visit a couple times? Luckily I have a job where I work from home and will not have any issues moving to NH, and my wife is in a field that seems to be equally available in most areas. There are some other considerations as to where we decide to move, but I think I would prefer to visit the area a couple times and get a feel for it rather than waste money renting a place for months. I also plan on purchasing a foreclosed property so that may dictate the area as well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up