Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is best place in NH to move to?  (Read 9309 times)

ccarterc1984

What is best place in NH to move to?
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »

I am a single 27 year old liberty loving maverick.  I really want to move to NH.  The obstacles so far are lining up a job, housing, and deciding which area to move to. 

My work experience is in tech (networks, programming, etc.) and banking (commercial mortgage) industries.  Hopefully I can stay out of banking...

Can anyone give me some ideas about potential cities to check out and possibly some companies to investigate?

Is there any local strangeness or caveats I should be aware of?

time4liberty

Re: What is best place in NH to move to?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:33:04 pm »

I am a single 27 year old liberty loving maverick.  I really want to move to NH.  The obstacles so far are lining up a job, housing, and deciding which area to move to.  

My work experience is in tech (networks, programming, etc.) and banking (commercial mortgage) industries.  Hopefully I can stay out of banking...

Can anyone give me some ideas about potential cities to check out and possibly some companies to investigate?

Is there any local strangeness or caveats I should be aware of?

If I were to recommend a region, I'd recommend the Nashua area. I prefer space, so if you're like me, you'll want to live in one of the beautiful surrounding rural areas and towns. There are tons of tech jobs in Nashua -- probably more than any other area in the state. The seacoast is great too.

Really, though, there are great places to live all over the state. Probably, if I were you, I'd just look for a job anywhere in NH, and find a place you like nearby.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:35:49 pm by time4liberty »

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:07:02 pm »

It tech is your specialty I recommend anywhere.  There are tech jobs in Hanover, Claremont, Keene, Portsmouth and so on.  Most of the NH tech jobs are likely within 45 minutes of Nashua, though.

I recommend checking out the FSP moving guide.  It has tons of great info, especially on jobs.  http://freestateproject.org/moving_guide

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »

For job searches, I recommend indeed: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=&l=nh

Benjamen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:57:03 am »

What is the best area for banking?  I have a background in loss modeling, risk analysis, and FED stress testing.  However, I would prefer to not have to commute into Boston.

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:35 pm »

My guess would be somewhere within 90 minutes of Boston in southeastern NH. That means Dover, Portsmouth, Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Salem and any of the towns near those places. Most of the people that live in NH and work in MA don't actually work in Boston, though the commute isn't bad for some. There are reasonably priced ways to commute without driving while enjoying wifi.

Benjamen

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 12:26:24 pm »

My guess would be somewhere within 90 minutes of Boston in southeastern NH. That means Dover, Portsmouth, Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Salem and any of the towns near those places. Most of the people that live in NH and work in MA don't actually work in Boston, though the commute isn't bad for some. There are reasonably priced ways to commute without driving while enjoying wifi.

I guess I mean, where could I work within the state of New Hampshire?

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »

My guess would be somewhere within 90 minutes of Boston in southeastern NH. That means Dover, Portsmouth, Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Salem and any of the towns near those places.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=financial+IT&l=NH

As already noted Nashua area is your best bet, there are a bunch of tech employers in the city as well as along 3 running up to Manchester. There are some more in the Dover/Portsmouth region too.

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »

As already noted Nashua area is your best bet, there are a bunch of tech employers in the city as well as along 3 running up to Manchester. There are some more in the Dover/Portsmouth region too.

I like indeed but the moving guide I posted has a link to the great jobs section http://freestateproject.org/moving_guide . The jobs section of the moving guide includes a ton of job related stuff http://freestateproject.org/jobs .

In order to encourage you to promote the FSP Jobs page, I listed Indeed as the 1st listing under Job Search Sites. I also described it as Wicked awesome job search engine! If that doesn't work, let me know what I can do to help encourage you to promote http://freestateproject.org/jobs to people looking for jobs in NH :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:19:21 pm by LoveAndPeace »

time4liberty

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:47:20 pm »

I like indeed but the moving guide I posted has a link to the great jobs section http://freestateproject.org/moving_guide . The jobs section of the moving guide includes a ton of job related stuff http://freestateproject.org/jobs .

In order to encourage you to promote the FSP Jobs page, I listed Indeed as the 1st listing under Job Search Sites. I also described it as Wicked awesome job search engine! If that doesn't work, let me know what I can do to help encourage you to promote http://freestateproject.org/jobs to people looking for jobs in NH :)

freestateproject.org/jobs is great ... it just kind of has a nice zing to it to inform potential movers that there are exactly a bazillion and one currently available job openings in their exact field in NH.

I'll try to be sure to mention the fsp/jobs site from now on, and then inform people about the many available jobs and post the indeed link also.

plasma1010

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:24 pm »

What do you guys think is the nicest town in the White Mountains ? I'm a deep mountain / forest kind of guy.

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »

What do you guys think is the nicest town in the White Mountains ? I'm a deep mountain / forest kind of guy.

NH is the most tree covered state in the US. I'm pretty sure most of Maine is also forested. There are mountains in many parts of NH so you don't need to limit yourself to the White Mountains. There are mountains all over Cheshire County, Coos County, Carroll County, Sullivan County and Grafton County. There are even mountains in Hillsborough County and Merrimack County.

As for nice towns in Coos County, I like Lancaster. It is where Porcfest happens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:36:32 pm by LoveAndPeace »

plasma1010

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

NH is the most tree covered state in the US. I'm pretty sure most of Maine is also forested. There are mountains in many parts of NH so you don't need to limit yourself to the White Mountains. There are mountains all over the Cheshire County, Coos County, Carroll County, Sullivan County and Grafton County.

As for nice towns in Coos County, I like Lancaster. It is where Porcfest happens.

Didn't know that, I knew Maine was like 90% forest, didn't know NH was also. I really hated what VT did with it's state after living there. Rather unsustainable land management in my opinion. Will keep those counties in mind, specially Grafton appealed to me much.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 06:54:04 pm »

Personally, I was only there for a weekend, but I liked Conway/N Conway a lot. Moat Mountain is a pretty decent brewery and they make some tasty food too :) It's a little on the touristy side but at least there's new blood pumping through there year round for all different kind of outdoor activities.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up