Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why so many moving out of New Hampshire  (Read 3342 times)

Blue72

Why so many moving out of New Hampshire
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:10 am »

Read an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday and it talks about states that have gained and lost its population in recent time.

I was no way surprised of the mass exodus out of my state(New York) many of fellow Long Islanders have moved to Florida or the Carolina's. But I was surprised people are leaving New Hampshire as well.

Who are these people who are leaving New Hampshire? Why? And what state do the gravitate towards?

I would assume with so many benefits that New Hampshire would be gaining and not losing residents

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
Re: Why so many moving out of New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:26:09 am »

Whatever the reason, unless it's a huge deal-breaker it should be good news for us. Out with the old, in with the new.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

People move in and out of states. It is usually family, job, school or retirement related. In New England, it is more likely to be retirement related than in most states. I think the stats are available online. If you look, some of the young people leave NH when they graduate high school and college. Some middle aged people tend to move to NH because it is the best state to raise a family. Some of the old people tend to leave NH for the South because they want to live in a warmer area.

If statists want to leave NH, I will not stop them. They have a right to move away.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:45:28 pm »

I don't think that's true. Between Jan 1, 2000 and Jan 1, 2011, NH experienced net in-migration from other states (more people moved in than moved out). To the tune of 2.4% of NH's Jan 1, 2000 population. If a small number of people moved out in the last year, that's probably just a statistical blip.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:36:02 pm »

How many were Boomers just entering retirement with their vacation home in NH becoming their retirement home, and their first home elsewhere selling for big bucks during the housing bubble?
Pages: [1]   Go Up