Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul LePage  (Read 14507 times)

TJames

Re: Paul LePage
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

I was about to correct Bob but than I scrolled to your reply. The reason I posted was to back your reply. Everyone knows that the Puritans considered Christmas pagan holiday.

The US seems to have more of a Baptist background.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »

Everyone? I didn't know that, neither did Bob. Hmm. Not everyone, apparently.

However, I do know of other Christian churches that don't celebrate Christmas. Jehovah's Witnesses, for one. Apparently, Travis, your church as well. My church, the LDS (Mormon) Church, celebrates it as a chance to remember Jesus' birth, though we don't believe he was born on Dec 25, but we emphasize that it's not about the commercialization or Santa Claus. It's a season to spend more time remembering the Savior's life and the church focuses on that. To us, it's how we use and celebrate the day that matters, not who came up with that date or the popular symbols associated with it that matters. To me, a holiday having a pagan origin is as irrelevant to my decision to celebrate it, as whether a book I choose to read has an author whose political views I disagree with.

I had read that about the Puritans trying communal land ownership for several years when they first arrived - that's the real reason they were starving at the famous first harvest dinner with the Native Americans (i.e. "Indians"), not because they couldn't figure out how to cultivate local crops. And, also contrary to popular legend, that dinner their second year, didn't lead to sudden change of fortunes with having enough food - that happened when they privatized land about 4 years after arriving. I learned this from a book about US history, can't remember which one was the author now, but it was either written by Thomas Woods, Thomas diLorenzo, or Robert Murphy, all connected to the Mises Institute.

About Paul LePage, I like his spunk and honesty but that doesn't mean I would vote for him if I were in Maine - for that I have to agree with most of a candidates political platform as well.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Bob D.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:01:53 am »

I was considering the celebration of Christ as well, rather then the commercial holiday. I can imagine the puritans thinking Xmas would be about shopping and gifts? But since some of you know this history better then me, were they totally against celebrating the birth of Christ?

Any ways, I pointed out LePages good points, I am not sure of his bad points if any one would like to elaborate, maybe some one in Maine?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:16 am »

Any ways, I pointed out LePages good points, I am not sure of his bad points if any one would like to elaborate, maybe some one in Maine?

As far as liberty is concerned, LePage is all over the map. For example, he is supporting the proposed "internet sales tax" http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/06/politics/nh-battles-internet-sales-tax-supported-by-lepage/
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

TJames

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:08 pm »

Jesus was 33 1/2 when he died. When dose that put his birthday? In the United States Christian observance of Christmas was uncommon until recently. Many understood it to be the continuation of an ancient pagan holiday Dies Natalis Solis Invicti. On the same note, even most of the same churches that don't keep Christmas still keep Sunday as Constantine decreed on March 7, 321AD. The Roman instrument of torture, the cross that is often placed on churches, is a sun symbol. Evergreen trees are used as phallic sun symbols of immortality. Before the priesthood moved into the church the used to sacrifice their testicles, and now we have Christmas ornaments!

It has nothing to do with a Puritan avoidance to Holiday I guess. JWs are against birthdays. I don't like birthdays but that is a personal issue. I think the Puritans had many of the same issues I listed. SDAs like myself tend not to observe any of the "Christian" holidays. We are not anti-holiday like some churches, we just consider them to be pagan. I even know a few who keep the OT feast days, and it makes sense to me because the Jewish days are more Christian than any of the "Christian" days. Also the only Christian holiday in my opinion is Thanksgiving.

Bob D.

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:34 pm »

As far as liberty is concerned, LePage is all over the map. For example, he is supporting the proposed "internet sales tax" http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/06/politics/nh-battles-internet-sales-tax-supported-by-lepage/

Oh well, some good, some bad, just another Neo Con.  ::)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:22:29 pm »

I was about to correct Bob but than I scrolled to your reply. The reason I posted was to back your reply. Everyone knows that the Puritans considered Christmas pagan holiday.

The US seems to have more of a Baptist background.
Episcopal.

And by the way, observance of Christmas time within the Colonies goes back to before the signing of the Declaration of Independence... the Christmas Wreath is an American creation. And Thanksgiving isn't a Christian holy day... its also an American creation. The Puritans would have been aghast to see another holy day without a foundation in scripture.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:42:48 pm by John Edward Mercier »

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:14 am »

Credit where credit is due: LePage is standing up to the GOP and threatening to boycott the convention unless Maine's Ron Paul delegates are seated

http://thetippingpoint.bangordailynews.com/2012/08/10/state-politics/lepage-rnc-conflict/
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Bob D.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 06:02:50 am »

Credit where credit is due: LePage is standing up to the GOP and threatening to boycott the convention unless Maine's Ron Paul delegates are seated

http://thetippingpoint.bangordailynews.com/2012/08/10/state-politics/lepage-rnc-conflict/

At least he has some independence from his party.

plasma1010

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:50 am »

My favorite comment was when he said public "All our state politicians are corrupt". I liked him then. He doesn't get as much media attention because it's Maine.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up