Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a Town from Dover to Keene  (Read 6317 times)

DRFlox26

Choosing a Town from Dover to Keene
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »

I plan to visit southern New Hampshire towns from Dover to Keene for 3 or 4 days to orient myself to residential options before I attend PorcFest 2012 in June. Depending on the weather I plan to visit either the week of April 27-May 3 if the weather is good; otherwise to visit May 7 - May 13. The towns I am considering are from east to west: Dover, Durham, Derry, Nashua, Peterborough and Keene. If time allows, I may also visit Manchester and Concord. I am committed to moving to some state on the East Coast sometime by 2014. I would appreciate any comments or links regarding choice of town in NH, also apartments if known. I will rent for at least a year, perhaps buying a home later.

I am 62, male, about to become single this summer for the first time in 30 years, and retired on a moderate budget. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and educated in NJ and PA. I've lived 30 years in Denver where I am now, preceded by 7 years in Houston. I was thrilled to see in the AAA NH guidebook that nearly every town had something really sweet to visit from petting farms to art or history museums. My goal in retirement is to enjoy solitude at times and the company of others at times. I have volunteer organization experience, but now I am tired so I plan to start slow.  My health requries daily exercise. I have a cat. I'm a committed Ron Paul supporter, leaning libertarian but sort of a JFK 1960's liberal and a 21st century fiscal conservative. Thank you in advance for your recommendations. Live Long and Happy! :)

time4liberty

Re: Choosing a Town from Dover to Keene
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »

I plan to visit southern New Hampshire towns from Dover to Keene for 3 or 4 days to orient myself to residential options before I attend PorcFest 2012 in June. Depending on the weather I plan to visit either the week of April 27-May 3 if the weather is good; otherwise to visit May 7 - May 13. The towns I am considering are from east to west: Dover, Durham, Derry, Nashua, Peterborough and Keene. If time allows, I may also visit Manchester and Concord. I am committed to moving to some state on the East Coast sometime by 2014. I would appreciate any comments or links regarding choice of town in NH, also apartments if known. I will rent for at least a year, perhaps buying a home later.

Welcome! :)

Might I ask how you selected these towns? I say this not because they're not nice, but I'm just curious, and I might be able to help. Personally, if I didn't have to work, I'd probably live somewhere in the lakes region. The NH seacoast might be my second choice. The lakes region is gorgeous, and has much lower property values. Portsmouth/seacoast is beautiful also, and has more activity (restaurants/breweries, etc), and is closer to Boston (wouldn't be something I'd look for, but some would value this).

I'd certainly take a drive down (or up) highway 1A, along the seacoast. If you want to see the lakes region, a cruise on the mount washington (the boat, not the mountain) is a good way to go. If you're in portsmouth, check out the riverhouse for the best seafood chowder anywhere, in my opinion.

Really, there are beautiful places to live anywhere in NH.

Again, if you don't have to worry about work, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck in the country, rather than right in a major city/town -- many more rural towns have lots of local agriculture, great views, and plots with lots of land available. You won't see much of the beauty of NH driving along the freeways and highways -- it's the back country roads and small villages that are where it's at.

I am 62, male, about to become single this summer for the first time in 30 years, and retired on a moderate budget. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and educated in NJ and PA. I've lived 30 years in Denver where I am now, preceded by 7 years in Houston. I was thrilled to see in the AAA NH guidebook that nearly every town had something really sweet to visit from petting farms to art or history museums. My goal in retirement is to enjoy solitude at times and the company of others at times. I have volunteer organization experience, but now I am tired so I plan to start slow.  My health requries daily exercise. I have a cat. I'm a committed Ron Paul supporter, leaning libertarian but sort of a JFK 1960's liberal and a 21st century fiscal conservative. Thank you in advance for your recommendations. Live Long and Happy! :)

=)

Yeah, there's lots to do here. I hope you enjoy the visit, and let me know if you have any questions.

time4liberty

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

Three reasons you should move here:

Yes, I am a shameless marketer =)

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:14:25 pm »

Welcome! If you plan on visiting Manchester at all, let me know closer to your actual trip, and I can spread the word that you're visiting.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »

Welcome.  Be sure to visit the over 150 reasons to move to Keene at http://move.freekeene.com and drop by the Shire Society forum which has job and housing info for both Keene and Manch:  http://forum.shiresociety.com
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

Pretty much anything alone 101 is going to be ideal.  Route 101 is a beautiful commute with virtually no traffic congestion ever.  You have Hampton Beach on one end and Manchester on the other.  I couldn't even begin to tell you where to start, but everything east of 95 benefits from the ocean effect, if you're a warm weather wimp, eh.

I live in Seabrook, which offers the mildest climate in New Hampshire.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:49:47 pm »

On your way in between you should check out Parker's Maple Barn on Brookline Road in Mason.  It's in between Nashua and Keene.  It's hard to get more NH than Parker's, or more back woodsy than Mason.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:06:51 pm »

One thing that kind of surprised me about New Hampshire is the lack of apartments almost everywhere but the largest cities. Because of the limited supply, the rent is very high. Condominiums are much more common because people don't tend to move around much.

People tend to rent out homes and condos for rent at pretty reasonable rates. You can search the towns you're interested in on this site:  http://nneren.com/

Craig's List and local news paper classifieds are also commonly used to advertise rentals frequently in New Hampshire. But, be careful of scams such as people renting a place they don't actually own. Or, people renting a home that is either in or about to go into foreclosure.

Derry is probably my favorite, non rural, town in New Hampshire.  Most towns in New Hampshire have a town forest with walking trails that are a great place to exercise.  I'd also strongly suggest you make the trip up to the White Mountains when you visit.  They're an amazing place to go hiking. While many of the trails are challenging many are not.  You should having no problem getting guidance from a park service office on a beautiful one that matches your fitness and health levels. I think the most common traditional gym (weight machines, etc) in New Hampshire is called Planet Fitness. They're roughly equivalent to a Balley's or Gold's.

PraeterIdiot

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:13 pm »

sounds like you'll enjoy seeing Keene right before Porcfest.  If you're into splitting your time in solitude and in the company of others....but also in solitude, and newly single, the Keene freestater crowd may be a bit rambunctious for your tastes.  Being as you don't like the city, perhaps Peterborough would suit?  Barely a clue about how many other people are there, maybe the eastern or northern regions entirely.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:03 pm »

Don't forget to check out Portsmouth and Hampton.  Portsmouth is a beautiful town, especially by the waterfront.  Almost everything near the Seacoast is beautiful.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

DRFlox26

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:21 am »

Thank you to those who have provided me with replies full of good ideas for me to explore. I'll be visiting NH from Denver twice this summer, once to attend the week of PorcFest 2012 and once before that to check out southern NH towns and residential options. Thank you also FSP for providing this truly wonderful online forum. I'll keep checking here for any new suggestion postings. Live Long and Happy!  :)

DRFlox26

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 01:30:39 pm »

Thank you Free Staters for your warm welcome to New Hampshire during my recent 3 week visit to NH including the KAC and Porcfest 2012. I plan to move to the Peterborough area from Denver this Fall. I just signed to become a Participant by agreeing to the Statement of Intent and committing to move to New Hampshire. 

Live Long and Happy  ;)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:45 pm »

Don't forget to check out Portsmouth and Hampton.  Portsmouth is a beautiful town, especially by the waterfront.  Almost everything near the Seacoast is beautiful.

Maxx, we know your preferences.  And by your own admission, to quote your words upthread, you're a "warm weather wimp".

It's hard to find a place in New Hampshire that isn't beautiful.  I know a few, mostly in Merrimack County.  There was one in Laconia forty years ago when I was a High school police cadet, but they finally redid that old mill and moved in most of the Belknap County offices.

The most beautiful places are unfit to live in, of course.  I scattered Lisa's ashes from just below the summit of Mount Washington, but I wouldn't want to live there.  I'm a warm weather wimp too.  Can't stand it when the temperature gets much more than twenty below or the wind gets much above fifty.  At such times I tend to stay indoors, reading while the chili simmers.

When I move up next spring, I'll probably base myself in Laconia where I know there's a house I can rent (my grandfather built most of it after he bought it during WWI, turned a bungalow-with basement into a house to raise four kids who hated to share bedrooms).  But once I have my truck I'll be selling chili all over the state from the mountains to the seacoast to the flatlands in the southwest and everywhere in between.  Laconia is a good base for me (aside from it being my home town once I got Los Angeles scraped off of my shoes); a ten mile trip to reach I-93 (either direction) in the morning provides time to smoke a couple of cigarettes, suck down some coffee,  and map out the rest of the day.  Or I might head elsewhere along 11, 3, 106, wherever.  Depends on the time of year where the stuff might sell best.  But I promise I'll always be at Porcfest.  This year I was too bummed to cook chili like I always did before.  (I'm told bereavement causes crap like that).  But determination has returned.  Lisa was in favor of the restaurant idea, that comes later after the truck is successful enough to build capital.\

Congratulations, DRFlox26 for joining our merry little band.  Age is no handicap.  At 75 my grandmother sat in on (and raised her hand) every Laconia council meeting unless she was working (an RN for over fifty years).  Often she was, at one of the local "old folks homes".  She used to bitch about some of the "old farts" she had to take care of, some of whom were a couple decades younger than she was [I heard more than I wanted to about body hair growth on middle aged men, something that I haven't had yet at 57].  I didn't attend the council meetings with her, I just made sure that it was safe (snow shoveled and path sanded) to walk down to where the cab (as I recall, there were two in town then, there was only one just a few years back, but there's a bus along the main drag a quarter mile away, a long walk for an old lady) waited such evenings.  Hey, I hadn't discovered politics yet though I'd read Rand and Heinlein.  Had (late bloomer) barely discovered girls.  Hormones were frothing, give me a break.

I'm rambling.  I shouldn't post when I'm drinking.  But while I was sober it was a year and a half of writer's block.  I expect to have a fresh article in this week's Libertarian Enterprise (some may remember that little eZine, it's where Jason's article that founded the FSP was first published, Neil is still producing it) and the FSP is my theme.  (Plus I'd rather have something in there that isn't a rant about current events along the southern border, pissed off as I am about an undeclared war by Washington City against a supposed ally country).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:24 am »

Quote from: maxxoccupancy
Pretty much anything alone 101 is going to be ideal.  Route 101 is a beautiful commute with virtually no traffic congestion ever.  You have Hampton Beach on one end and Manchester on the other.

The 101 goes from Hampton Beach to Keene. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up