Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Woman Fired For Refusing To Take Welfare Card For Cigaretts  (Read 3349 times)

anon37268573

• First1000

Woman fired for refusing to accept EBT card for cigarettes; NH says welfare abuse tough to stop

PETERBOROUGH - Jackie Whiton's stand against what she sees as a misuse of state assistance has become a national story.

“I've had so much support it's been overwhelming,” she said in her Antrim home Wednesday night as she prepared to go on FOX news this morning.

A former employee of the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough, Whiton was fired after she refused to accept Electronic Benefit Transfer cards as payment for cigarettes. She is now collecting signatures for a petition protesting how the state aid program is run, and plans to lobby the governor.

“Somebody told me to call Welfare Fraud and I said absolutely not. This is not fraud. They allow this to happen,” she said of the state.

[...]

I believe she's going to be on FoxNews and some of the other national news channel shows tomorrow.  The is great press for the FSP, almost an ad, because it shows how differently people think here. This woman gave up her job in this horrible economy rather than let someone use the modern equivalent of Food Stamps for a recreational cancer causing tobacco product.

rank420

Re: NH Woman Fired For Refusing To Take Welfare Card For Cigaretts
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:39:10 am »

I still don't get how anyone can honestly debate why accepting welfare is a good thing AND support liberty.

I have seen many and maybe I will get heat for it here as well, anyways I have heard many saying that IF you need it then take it. Or that you paid into it so why no use it. When or how can welfare ever be right or libertarian at all to accept?

I have heard the reason some say they have them is to help collapse the system but how could that be anything more than just another excuse to get free stuff from others?

How can anyone who is fighting for liberty and to live free accept them?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:06 am »

"Why should the government take our money, then make us jump through so many bureaucratic hoops to try to get some of their own money back?" That question won us many local elections in Washington, and was a key driver for the LP during the 90's.

It's a question that hits home: Why am I sitting in a welfare office instead of a bank?  This is my own tax money.  Why do I have to show up hat in hand with a sob story about how "the system" has left me destitute when "the system" should have just left me alone, and I'd be fine.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:46:53 am »

Actually, try saying THAT next time you're applying for benefits, and see what they say.  I declare that to be a valid form of activism.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:55 am »

Should be interesting as the whole story comes out by both sides.

Obviously, she was obeying federal regulations that do not allow EBTs to be used for tobacco purchases.

Obviously, the store owner must have realized that had she been fired for refusing to violate those regulations and she became a 'whistleblower' that the store owner would be subject to questioning and maybe prosecution.

So the store owner is really, really, stupid not to simply drop it... or the whole story hasn't yet surfaced.

ny2nh

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »

There are no restrictions on the cash portion of EBT cards - only on the SNAP (food stamps) benefits. EBT holders can withdraw cash benefits via ATM as well.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »

Didn't know that. I guess we broadened agricultural subsidies without me even recognizing the fact.

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:17 pm »

She is scheduled to speak at the

Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers 14th annual Taxpayer Reunion Picnic and Straw Poll
Saturday July 7, 2012 from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM
Hillsborough American Legion #59
Speakers, candidates, tables and more
http://www.cnht.org/picnic2012.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up