Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: personal hydropower?  (Read 2898 times)

TJames

personal hydropower?
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:43 pm »

I hope this is the right forum.

What would I be up against if I were to build my own personal hydropower system in New Hampshire?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: personal hydropower?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:04:03 am »

Substantial technical challenges, if you had a property with a good-running stream and a major drop on it.

State and Federal regulations if you were talking about building a dam.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

rank420

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:26 am »

What's funny is I just found this exact thing you are wanting.

We think alike it seems, I see a real good friend in my future.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/backpack-hydroelectric-plant/

This inventor has a ton of cool "ocean power" generation ideas as well on his main site.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:47:45 pm »

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/backpack-hydroelectric-plant/

The article states that it requires a stream four feet deep, moving at 7.5fps.  That's not something you're likely to have on your property.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

TJames

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:18:21 pm »

That is something I'd be looking for. If I could I'd collect land.

TJames

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 03:42:44 pm »

Also...

I have been wondering if it is doable to get power from the magnetic field, or any magnetic field. I don't think it would power the house but it might help. Any thoughts?

It looks like southern New Hampshire has a bit of geothermal activity. Is it practical to tap it?

A network of solar, wind, and maybe hydro and some blades on a woodstove should do it, but I wonder if I could tap into something more consistent.

rank420

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:27 pm »

trial, error and testing.

all you need is land and neighbors who stay out of your business.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 05:28:34 pm »

I have been wondering if it is doable to get power from the magnetic field, or any magnetic field. I don't think it would power the house but it might help. Any thoughts?

You need a moving magnetic field to induce a current in a wire.  The earth's magnetic field is akin to a magnet sitting next to a wire - nothing happens.  You need to move either the magnet or the wire, so the field cuts through the wire in order to generate power.  You can't generate meaningful power even if you start waving a wire around outside, because the flux density of the earth's field is minuscule.  It's enough to make a tiny, balanced compass needle move, but the magnets in a generator are many, many thousands of times stronger.

It looks like southern New Hampshire has a bit of geothermal activity. Is it practical to tap it?

Not without drilling a very deep well.

A network of solar, wind, and maybe hydro and some blades on a woodstove should do it, but I wonder if I could tap into something more consistent.

Wood is more practical.  Wood-fired generators are not inexpensive, but they are not ridiculous, either.  And wood is so common that it literally grows on trees :D - so the cost per kWh is pretty darn small.

TJames

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »

"You need a moving magnetic field to induce a current in a wire.  The earth's magnetic field is akin to a magnet sitting next to a wire - nothing happens.  You need to move either the magnet or the wire, so the field cuts through the wire in order to generate power.  You can't generate meaningful power even if you start waving a wire around outside, because the flux density of the earth's field is minuscule.  It's enough to make a tiny, balanced compass needle move, but the magnets in a generator are many, many thousands of times stronger."

I'd eventually like to experiment with Telluric generators, but I should read up on them to make sure that isn't a dead end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up