Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going on a fact finding trip sat 6/18 for eventual move to NH. ;)  (Read 4316 times)

Xalky

My name is Marcel, and i'm planning a trip for me and my wife this weekend. We will be coming back Monday night.
A little about me and then my objectives for this trip.

I currently have a commercial and residential remodeling business in CT. I'm 47 yrs old.  I lived in CT most of my life I also lived in Quebec, Canada  for a 3 yr stint as a kid..   I just can't stand the liberal BS that's going on over here in CT. It's time for me to move to a place where " live and let live" is the mantra, of course, I've always loved "live free or die".  I've been self employed most of my life, so I'm not keen on taking orders, especially from the gov't. My 3 children are all grown, the youngest is 18, they live here in CT with there mother from a previous marriage. My current wife, and the love of my life, also has 2 children, again the youngest just turned 18. I'm a friendly guy, I love people, I'm an entrepreneur, I like country living but don't like to be too far away from civilization, mostly for the convenience of obtaining goods and services, and business opportunities.

So here are my objectives for the trip.
1)I'm not sure which area I should visit, so I need help with that. If there are areas that are very busy in the residential construction or revitalization I would like to see these places first. This is absolutely first and foremost.
2)I would like some land, at least 3 acres, 20 would be better. So I'd like to look in places in the outskirts of said busy construction areas for a nice rural place to live. No developments please.
3)a place where property taxes are inexpensive and with relaxed zoning laws. A big part of this move rely s on my ability to build or buy a place that can have a business building in the back. Much like a barn on a farm but for construction equipment and activities.
4) I want to be in a place where the neighbors are friendly, the business is good, and people don't look down thier nose at me when I'm working in my garage at midnight.

All the above is a tall order in CT. I've been told that it's all possible in NH.

Thanks for the help
Marcel LeMay

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Going on a fact finding trip sat 6/18 for eventual move to NH. ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

Hi Marcel - Welcome to the forum! All you ask for is certainly possible in NH, but you might have to plan carefully to find it all within a short distance.

NH is the most regulated state in the country when it comes to zoning and building codes. Some towns even have hard limits on the number of building permits issued per year. Even California can't hold a candle to NH on this issue. On the economic-regulation side, it may be the one thing NH needs to work on most.

However, the good news is that it's almost all done at the town level, and you can find plenty of towns that are only about average in terms of regulatory strictness and some that even lack zoning altogether. The Wharton survey of residential land-use restrictions has some good data on which towns in NH have the toughest building restrictions. You can download their data here (in Stata format only, unfortunately): http://real.wharton.upenn.edu/~gyourko/LandUseSurvey.htm . Note that this survey only covers towns in metropolitan statistical areas or urbanized clusters, so it misses the really rural towns (like Grafton) that lack zoning altogether. If you find that you're unable to read the data, here's a quick summary: cities like Manchester, Rochester, and Nashua are actually less regulated than the 'burbs, but Candia, Haverhill, and Milton also come out as somewhat less regulated. Again, to find truly wide-open rules, you'd need to get out of the Boston-Manchester MSA.

As far as home prices and property taxes go, you can't beat the Census data. I'm looking forward to the release of the 2010 Census data, which will cover every single town in NH. But until then, you can make do with American Community Survey: http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml . The Lake Country - especially the "boros" (Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Moultonborough) and Ossipee - has the best combination of low property taxes and cheap houses for the money, I've found.

My impression is that the Boston suburbs (Hills. & Rock. counties) continue to be the fastest-growing part of NH, although also the most regulated. The Upper Valley (Grafton Co.) also seems to have been growing, the last time I spent a significant amount of time there (2008). The North Country (Coos Co.) is actually contracting.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Xalky

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:30:59 am »

Thanks Jason. I did some poking around online. This isn't gonna be as easy as I first thought. It seems that to be where the money is, you're gonna pay dearly for real estate. The bargains seem to be in strafford county, which is a good hours drive from where the money is. They're practically giving homes away in coos county but it seems that work is scarce in that area. So I think I'll plan on taking a ride up to the Manchester area or somewhere in Strafford county. Any suggestions for a hotel or a town to stay in in strafford county?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »

Thanks Jason. I did some poking around online. This isn't gonna be as easy as I first thought. It seems that to be where the money is, you're gonna pay dearly for real estate. The bargains seem to be in strafford county, which is a good hours drive from where the money is. They're practically giving homes away in coos county but it seems that work is scarce in that area. So I think I'll plan on taking a ride up to the Manchester area or somewhere in Strafford county. Any suggestions for a hotel or a town to stay in in strafford county?

Dover's nice; I've stayed at a hotel there (downtown), and it was fine. I've also been to Somersworth, which is a very blue-collar town. Might be cheap places to stay there, but probably not a place to look for property. Both Dover and Somersworth are also left-leaning politically. You might want to look at Barrington; some FSP'ers who are friends of mine live there.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Xalky

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »

Yes, Barrington seems to be in my price range. Close enough to civilization and far enough to be rural. I will poke around the real estate sites to get some more ideas. There was a great place in barrington with 11 acres but it looks like its under contract now. The house needed a little work but the lot was exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep looking

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:38:29 pm »

You're coming up the weekend before porcfest and not sticking around?!  :o Best of luck, hope next year you can make it!

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

If you want access to NH and northern Mass check out Hillsborough County to the NW of Milford.

http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=R&type=268%2C6843%3B5%2C60%3B6%2C813%3B92%2C479&sort=PR_A