Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Articles of Confederation]  (Read 40083 times)

Luck

• FSP Participant
Campaigning Strategy [Update: Articles of Confederation]
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:35 am »

* I'm helping someone campaign for NH state rep and yesterday I looked up strategies on the web and came up with the following. Sources are at the end under Refs.

Campaign Plan

1.B2. Update campaign plans weekly and keep the campaign team informed about the ongoing plans
- 06/06/2012 Begin Campaign
- 06/15/2012 Candidacy Filing Deadline
- 09/11/2012 STATE PRIMARY ELECTION
- 11/06/2012 STATE GENERAL ELECTION
-
-
2.B4+A8. Create a realistic campaign budget + check on the web for costs for similar campaigns
-
-
3.B1+B3. Determine candidate's and voters' issues -- Create a distinct identity
-
-
4.A3. Assemble Campaign staff in 3 groups:
4.1. (O) Office & Media group: people who know how to write or speak to the media
4.2. (F) Finance group: people who raise and spend money for the campaign
4.3. (T) Town Field group: people who take the campaign message to the public to contribute to, vote for, or participate in the campaign
A4. Volunteers: Make the campaign fun for Volunteers.
-
-
5.A1. (F) Printing: Get nice business cards, bumper stickers, posters, signs
-
-
6.A5. (O) Advisery Committee: people who support your campaign, but don't have time to help; put them on your letterhead etc.
-
-
7.A6. (O) Legal Adviser: get someone on retainer who you can call in case a problem comes up. Get legal advice on campaign financing law and on financing before it happens.
-
-
8.A9. (F) Financial Reporting: make sure all financial reporting documents are sent in on time.
-
-
9.A2+A12. (O) Contact local orgs and ask their schedules + Make Appearances: speak at fairs, festivals, street fairs, public debates, get on local political orgs' calendars
-
-
10.A7. (O) Fund-raising: Use house parties to raise money. Have a video of the candidate. Invite friends over to someone's home and play it. Have refreshments and while people are discussing issues ask them to write checks. Give out bumper stickers, buttons etc.
-
-
11.A13. (F) Get a cheap office for a few months where the public can ask questions etc.
-
-
12.B6. (T) Do canvassing
-
-
13.C4. (O) Hold Telephone Town Hall
http://www.killercampaigning.com/what-is-a-telephone-town-hall/
A telephone town hall is a great way to showcase a candidate’s charisma and personality in a setting that’s comfortable and informative for the listening audience.
If a candidate sounds confident, has clear answers and appears authentic, there’s more to be gained with a telephone town hall than just voters [See Refs for details]
-
-
14.C5. (O) Do Phone Banking - Use New Political Campaign Technology:
http://www.killercampaigning.com/tag/political-campaign-phones/
SMS/Text Phone Bank Calling uses SMS/text messaging to make it easy for volunteers to do phone banking from their own homes.
D1. ADD SMS/ TEXT MARKETING TO YOUR CAMPAIGN ADVERTISING.
D2. COMPLEMENT YOUR SMS/TEXT MARKETING WITH QR CODES.
D3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PREMIUM MOBILE FRIENDLY WEBSITE.
[See Refs for details for each.]
-
-
15.B5. (O) Use available tools: marketing material, publicity/the media, campaign software to remain organized and create a database, a website, blogs, e-mail and other sites that will add exposure and interaction with the constituents.
A11. Use Free Media
C1. Use Google Alerts
C2. Use Social Media
-
-
16.B7. (O) Contact media: ask to prep for interviews; avoid pitfalls
-
-
17.E1. Ideas: (from Sun Tzu) Meet the opposition in a common way; defeat the opposition with an uncommon move – Like Win-Win (under F5)
[This is for non-profits and the like more than political campaigns.]
F1. Reach beyond the usual people that you normally attract.
In marketing use color, images, fun ideas. E.g. Dave had a City Idol project, a documentary film of speeches on how to make city hall better, like American Idol, but having competing ideas instead of competing entertainment. They put as much thought into branding and marketing as into the event itself. Also, e.g., they did a campaign for voting reform that they called RABIT, i.e. Ranked Ballot Initiative of Toronto, and made posters and little buttons with a cute bunny head and big ears that was attractive enough that people wore them. Also, e.g., he organized Wind Fest, a kite festival, to introduce outsiders to wind energy via kite fun, with booths for wind energy there etc.
F2. Don't use jargon, or insider language, with outsiders.
F3. Empower your membership, by sharing publicity with them, as on photos, instead of posing alone. Give them the tools they need to advocate, like having enough information for arguments, who to contact and when and how. Get them to advocate in their individual local areas, rather than altogether.
Don't ask members to do vague tasks, but to make specific contacts with specific info. This is micro-mobilizing using ward-specific messages.
Phoning people is more persuasive than signs.
F4. Media interviews are good for reaching new people, but the best ones are unfriendly media, because friendly media will only reach those who already agree with you.
Media need you as much as you need them. Friendly journalists want you so they have something to write about.
Make your group seem bigger than it is, by having a website and a nice business card.
Be courageous.
Organize volunteers through Facebook and announce the volunteer effort to the media.
Make your events newsworthy, i.e. creative, visual, symbolic.
F5. Use win-win to get all sides to understand each other's concerns. Incorporate opponents' concerns into your proposals in order to get everyone on board.

Refs.
A. Running for Office & Political Campaign Tips -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omsiCfdJYBQ&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP797A617A5DC14F6A
B: How to Run an Effective Political Campaign – a Synopsis for the Aspiring Candidate
http://jdrazure.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/how-to-run-an-effective-political-campaign-a-synopsis-for-the-aspiring-candidate/
C. Political Campaign Strategies: How To Run for Office & Win Elections
http://www.killercampaigning.com/
D. Three Mobile Marketing Strategies for an Effective Political Campaign
http://mobileleadmagnets.com/blog/three-mobile-marketing-strategies-for-an-effective-political-campaign/
E. How Sun Tzu's Art of War Improves a Political Campaign Strategy - Matt Curtis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_54Re5H5nQ
F. Five Good Ideas: Campaigning for Social Change with Dave Meslin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E1VJTFmF4Y
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:48:11 pm by Luck »

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Filing Deadline 6/15/12]
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:24:49 pm »

Another link that verifies Luck's post and provides more details on what you need to do if you run:  

http://www.uselections.com/nh/nh.htm

My experience was that it was easy to run and worthwhile.  I ran for state rep.  Cost 2 bucks in 2008.  It helps to have other nearby members of your party who can jump in and take action if you get any bureaucratic roadblocks, but those are not necessarily going to happen.

It ultimately resulted in me getting voting rights within the Manch GOP and then voting two liberty activists onto the Manchester Republican Committee (I was tie breaker).  I also got to witness a great passive aggressive eruption by Steve Vallaincourt (sp?) before it was cool.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:27:00 pm by RidleyReport »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo for Hillsborough County Sheriff]
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »

* This is the latest from Frank.

Dear Friends:
I am very excited about the level of support I am seeing; especially after last week.  The FaceBook page jumped from a reach of 1,500 per week to 23,000.  That was just as of 8/23.  For better or worse, I am reaching people with the message of the true nature and authority of the County Sheriff.  Donation activity has also increased.
Fred and Gus have become my right (and right) hand.  Fred is handling the southeast and Gus has been covering Manchester and the rest of the county.  There are campaign supply depots spread throughout Hillsborough.  We are gearing up.
I am asking for supporters to become activists.  We are planning sign waves, Town Hall meetings, voter outreach efforts and phone banking.  If you have a skill you can share, we'll find a way for you to contribute.

Please let me know ASAP if you would be available for a sign wave in Manchester this Thursday from 4-6 PM.

There is one thing that I would ask of everyone active on-line.  There are still those who believe last week was a stunt, don't accept the honesty of my apology and retraction or are upset about my actual position on abortion.  There is now an on-line petition asking me to drop out.  Of course, I can't post the truth there.  Please keep an eye out for negative posts and activity.  Politely defend me against the misconceptions and outright lies.  I never return the vitriol, but respond with civility and truth.  I ask people to read for themselves what I've written rather than what others say that I wrote.  Direct them to the (upgrades) website.  Some of you are doing this already.  Thank you!

If you aren't doing this yet, please actively distribute my on-line campaign links (website and fb page) and business cards.  Tell friends and family what is at stake and how I can help, once in office.  Ask others to join in the effort.  Even if they live outside Hillsborough County, there are many ways to assist.  What happens here can spread.  Freedom is infectious.

Taking from my Nashua "speech":

"Our Grand Experiment in freedom and liberty is dying. If it is lost in this country, it may not be seen again for another 5,000 years.

I’m asking for you to stand with me. Stand up for what you believe in. Stand up for your principles and never back down. Stop drinking fluoride and show that you have a backbone! Demonstrate what it means to be an American. Stand with me and we WILL take back our Republic!"

In Liberty,

Frank
Frank W. Szabo

http://SzaboForSheriff.com     Member, Oathkeepers

SZABO BREAKS WITH NH GOP LEADERS
August 27, 2012

Media Contact:
Frank Szabo, candidate for Hillsborough County Sheriff

Hillsborough County Sheriff Candidate Continues Campaign to Protect Citizens

GOFFSTOWN, N.H. – Despite calls for Szabo to step down by a few leaders in the New Hampshire Republican Party, he is forging ahead, stronger than ever. “I did not start this campaign for political gain or to join the status quo. I am running for Sheriff because there is a desperate need. With the escalation of the erosion of our rights, Citizens need a public official, with authority, who can stand up for them and protect their rights – from any unlawful action,” Szabo said.

“I heard that some GOP leaders were calling for me to drop out. Only one had the courtesy to contact me directly,” Szabo said. “This is not about party allegiance. This is about basic American principles.”

“When your child can not sell lemonade in front of your house without a license, or you need a permit to exercise your right to free speech, or a mortgage company is trying to foreclose on your house without clear title, the County Sheriff has the authority to intervene,” Szabo said. The documentation and court cases which Szabo references in his presentations clearly show that the County Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county and is duty-bound and fully authorized to ensure that all governmental actions in the county are lawful and Constitutional.

Neither of Szabo’s opponents subscribe to this vital aspect of the Office of County Sheriff.

The events of last week have only re-energized and increased his support base. “When I’m wrong, I admit it. I took full responsibility for how I was portrayed,” Szabo said. Szabo considers himself to be a Statesman rather than a politician. That forthright character has attracted people hungry for a man of action willing to put himself on the line for others.

###

About Frank Szabo
Frank Szabo, who lives in Goffstown with his wife Madeline and family, is running for Hillsborough County Sheriff to protect citizens’ rights and property as a constitutional peace officer within the county. The longtime businessman has owned and operated a successful limousine service and obtained a high-level of expertise in financial management and health care administration. Besides his practical life experiences and real-world common sense, Frank will bring to the sheriff ’s office his knowledge of court room legal proceedings, how to read and interpret laws, and his well-earned executive-level skills, including analysis and problem solving, financial management and business administration, personnel recruitment and training, and public speaking. Paid for by Citizens With Szabo. Frank Szabo, Fiscal Agent.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »

Here's the latest
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:46 AM
Things are really heating up!!  This time, it's all good.
Last night, I did a live radio interview for NH Family radio and then taped "Speak Up!" with Rep. Kevin Avard of Nashua.  I had taped a three minute PSA with Manchester TV which is running now; http://manchestertv.org/.  My segment starts at 43:32.  This should also be running soon in Nashua.

If you live outside of Manchester or Nashua, you can request that my PSA run on your public access station.  I can't do it myself.  Contact me directly to find out more.

Flyers designed for the Hillsborough County Fair are being printed.  The fair is in New Boston from Friday, September 7th through Sunday, the 9th.  Please let me know if/when you would be available to help distribute them.  Also, and concurrently, we will be using the flyers at local town farmer's markets.  That's another area where we need help.

We've contacted almost every gun club in Hillsborough [County?].  Our next focus is farmers; especially organic farms and CSAs.  If you have any contacts/friends in either, reach out to them on behalf of the campaign.  I can come out to speak at their next meeting.

By next Thursday we should have 2'x4' signs.  We could use teams of people to go out and erect them.

I haven't had anyone get back to me about joining us for a Manchester sign wave tomorrow (Thursday) evening rush hour.  Let me know ASAP if you're available.

Please help spread the word and ask that they actively support the campaign.  Like the campaign FaceBook page.  With such a short time before the Primary, it's just a matter of informing enough people.

In Liberty,

Frank
Frank W. Szabo

SzaboForSheriff.com     Member, Oathkeepers

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

Why would these groups care? County Sheriffs don't have legislative or judicial empowerment.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo4Sheriff - Primary on Tue.]
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:32:12 am »

This Tuesday Is The Primary!
There’s just a few days left until The Primary!

I’m asking for your help on Election Day. Having supporters at the polls can make all the difference. If you have even an hour to spare, please let me know ASAP. All you need do is stand near the entrance to the poll and wave a yard sign as people go by. Maybe you could simply post a yard sign or two at your local poll on the way to work.

Thank you for your consideration and support!

In Liberty,

Frank W. Szabo

http://SzaboForSheriff.com     Member, Oathkeepers

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo Greatly Lost the Primary for Sheriff]
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:10:46 pm »

* According to the Concord Monitor at http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/354299/incumbent-sheriff-wins-in-primary?SESS3afe62dc339cc6f68f7768a1ab5a96e7=google Frank Szabo lost the primary on Tuesday by a large margin.

Eric Freerock

• Moving Summer 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »

Large margin?  He got totally whipped.  I think they call it a landslide.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 07:16:33 am »

Proof that NH voters actually pay attention on occasion.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Luck

• FSP Participant

* Looks like Frank did much better than the newspaper claimed. See Primary results at bottom. The following message is from Frank to his supporters.

Dear Fellow Patriots:

While Madeline and I are on vacation, this is the first chance I’ve had to review the results of The Primary. First of all, I want to thank everyone who supported me in any way. Some volunteered significantly. Some used social media. Some defended me publicly. I appreciate everything that was done on my behalf.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet of the vote totals by town. The yellow highlighted totals were from towns where some activity of some kind occurred during the campaign. The green highlighted towns indicate people stationed there during The Primary. Keep in mind that the campaign was a “one man show” until Labor Day. Even then, there was one full-time volunteer and one part-time. I was completely unknown with zero name recognition. Nonetheless, 26% voted for me. In Milford, where I worked the poll and had a large banner taped to my van in an unavoidable location, I received 35% of the vote. There were even ten Democrats who wrote me in. These results were not about me. They come from the power of the message.

For future reference, activists might be interested in how we were able to keep the 2x4 campaign signs on overpasses without them being taken down by the DOT. Attached is the label we applied to the back of each sign. For the most part, it was a sufficient deterrent to illegal removal. The signs were also zip-tied securely in about 20 spots around each sign.
Notice
This sign is posted here in strict compliance with
NH RSA 236:73 and RSA 664:17.
This sign is securely attached and poses no threat of blowing off and/or becoming a traffic hazard.
Any person (RSA 21:9 & 1 USC § 1) removing this sign prior to scheduled elections shall be subject to federal (18 USC § 241) and state (RSA 664:17) statutes, which may include fines and imprisonment up to but not exceeding 10 years.  
State employees, acting outside of the authority of their bonded positions, are not immune or exempt, and may be charged in both their official and personal capacity (18 USC 1346).
Warning: Possible Violation of Federal Law
18 USC § 241 - CONSPIRACY AGAINST RIGHTS
18 USC § 1346 - DEFINITION OF “SCHEME OR ARTIFICE TO DEFRAUD
RSA 236:73 (section V): http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xx/236/236-73.htm
RSA 664:17: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxiii/664/664-17.htm
18 USC § 241 - CONSPIRACY AGAINST RIGHTS
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241
18 USC § 1346 - DEFINITION OF “SCHEME OR ARTIFICE TO DEFRAUD
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1346
Something I had never publicly presented during the campaign are my thoughts regarding our state of affairs and the urgency of having a Constitutional Sheriff. I imagine that it would not shock anyone receiving this that our Republic is in grave and even mortal danger. I firmly believe that Obama will be re-elected and that our Republic (such as it is) will not survive. A Constitutional Sheriff might have been the only thing to protect the Citizens of Hillsborough County (and New Hampshire).

I have had a number of people urge me to plan for another run in 2014, or to run for a different office. In my opinion, 2014 will be too late and another office would not have the authority to stop what’s coming.

The only option, open to those who understand what I’ve briefly touched on, is a 100% grassroots write-in campaign for November. I do not present this frivolously. It would have to be a massive undertaking with a minimum of 100-150 full time volunteers. It would also have to be done without my active participation, as I have lost an election and cannot now run a second one for the same general election cycle.

The only reason I mention this is posts such as these two:
“Frank, I used to think you were a nut because the media portrayed you as a tyrannical sociopath.
That was wrong; you were the opposite. For protecting people from the banks stealing homes; I respect you and wish you would continue educating the electorate on that point.”
“Everyone was falsely given an image of a completely different candidate on a different platform than Szaba actually was running on. I thought it was a bit crazy as well; until I actually heard the actual full elaboration in a 45 minute interview. We were portrayed with this crazy man that was going to "hunt abortion doctors"; and some reports even said he would imprison and or kill any women who had an abortion! Further, he was portrayed as claiming he was supreme and powerful over all powers and basically would be a tyrannical nut.
It couldn't have been more wrong. His "power" was not "power over us"; he was specifically explaining that the county serves warrants for foreclosures to citizens from the banks. His so called supreme power was what he would NOT enforce against citizens. The power to NOT enforce unlawful foreclosures and kicking people out of their homes without proof of clear title being demonstrated. That's what was demonized out of context; and it's a damn shame something as benevolent as protecting US from corporate bank fraud was portrayed by the media as a murdering psychopath. Disgusting and a damn tragedy.”

Some people did look past media hype. However, it was too late for The Primary. If anyone is interested in investigating such a campaign, let me know and I will help people connect.

I can not express how humbling an experience the past few months have been. I did all that I could and, at a minimum, thousands of people have been made aware of an obscure authority to protect them.

Thank you again for your support. Never – ever – let anyone tell you that you can’t make a difference. One person CAN change the world!

In Liberty,

Frank
Frank W. Szabo

Primary Results
Hardy   Szabo   Vote Total   % of Votes   
711   323   1034   31.24%   Amherst
143   30   173   17.34%   Antrim
1703   601   2304   26.09%   Bedford
83   29   112   25.89%   Bennington
248   122   370   32.97%   Brookline
133   40   173   23.12%   Deering
128   37   165   22.42%   Francestown
1183   404   1587   25.46%   Goffstown
115   24   139   17.27%   Greenfield
67   22   89   24.72%   Greenville
149   36   185   19.46%   Hancock
297   65   362   17.96%   Hillsborough
516   163   679   24.01%   Hollis
939   369   1308   28.21%   Hudson
446   179   625   28.64%   Litchfield
103   49   152   32.24%   Lyndeborough
711   196   907   21.61%   Manchester Ward 1
495   141   636   22.17%   Manchester Ward 2
222   74   296   25.00%   Manchester Ward 3
337   120   457   26.26%   Manchester Ward 4
200   61   261   23.37%   Manchester Ward 5
518   174   692   25.14%   Manchester Ward 6
384   92   476   19.33%   Manchester Ward 7
570   167   737   22.66%   Manchester Ward 8
348   137   485   28.25%   Manchester Ward 9
409   144   553   26.04%   Manchester Ward 10
271   131   402   32.59%   Manchester Ward 11
360   149   509   29.27%   Manchester Ward 12
87   36   123   29.27%   Mason
1397   541   1938   27.92%   Merrimack
656   353   1009   34.99%   Milford
232   70   302   23.18%   Mont Vernon
484   169   653   25.88%   Nashua Ward 1
339   130   469   27.72%   Nashua Ward 2
279   107   386   27.72%   Nashua Ward 3
147   51   198   25.76%   Nashua Ward 4
412   164   576   28.47%   Nashua Ward 5
242   76   318   23.90%   Nashua Ward 6
265   93   358   25.98%   Nashua Ward 7
311   98   409   23.96%   Nashua Ward 8
311   120   431   27.84%   Nashua Ward 9
403   159   562   28.29%   New Boston
255   62   317   19.56%   New Ipswich
519   105   624   16.83%   Pelham
301   94   395   23.80%   Peterborough
24   10   34   29.41%   Sharon
91   21   112   18.75%   Temple
450   158   608   25.99%   Weare
221   84   305   27.54%   Wilton
20   8   28   28.57%   Windsor
19235   6788   26023   26.08%   TOTALS
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:22:20 pm by Luck »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo Did Better Than Reported; Could Write-In]
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

What did the newspaper report the results as? And which paper?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo Did Better Than Reported; Could Write-I]
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:47 am »

“Frank, I used to think you were a nut because the media portrayed you as a tyrannical sociopath.
That was wrong; you were the opposite. For protecting people from the banks stealing homes; I respect you and wish you would continue educating the electorate on that point.”

If that's the goal, running for Registrar of Deeds is a far better option.  Kelley Monahan, Grafton County's Registrar, has been fighting back on such things.

Sheriffs, on the other hand, have no ability to stop fraudulent foreclosures.

Szabo ran for sheriff because he wanted to push his anti-liberty agenda.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

highline

Sheriffs, on the other hand, have no ability to stop fraudulent foreclosures.

My plan (had I been elected) was to return to the issuing judge any fraudulent foreclosure order, with a written explanation.
"Judge Katherine B. Forrest should go down in history as having pulled this Republic away from the abyss of Hell."    ~ Naomi Wolf

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Campaigning Strategy [Update: Szabo Did Better Than Reported; Could Write-In]
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »

How would you know which ones?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

My plan (had I been elected) was to return to the issuing judge any fraudulent foreclosure order, with a written explanation.

Most foreclosures in NH are non-judicial.

In any case, that still would not prevent them from foreclosing.  If the Registrar will record it, then the deed transfers, regardless of what the Sheriff wants to do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

anything