Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone participating in the Applseseed Project Shoot?  (Read 7688 times)

Blurib

Is anyone participating in the Applseseed Project Shoot?
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »

This is my first porcfest and my first Appleseed. I look forward to all the aspects of porcfest and the free state project in general! Any tips for a new participant?
A patriot to some, a traitor to others. Please judge and let your judgement be known, so that i may act appropriately.

*Link Removed*

NH2012

Re: Is anyone participating in the Applseseed Project Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:02:13 am »

I was trying to locate the event you were talking about. Is it a Porcfest event or an Appleseed event that is scheduled at the same time?

I've attended the first day of Appleseed a while back. Most people shot with .22s on the first day since the ammo is cheap and the target it close.
The first thing I would do would be to zero your rifle for 25meters to practice. Then I  would practice the shooting positions, target and magazine changes as well as natural point of aim.  Here's a link to the first target you'll shoot on the first day that you can use to practice.
http://rwva.info/rwva%20pages/Promo%20Red%20Coats.pdf
If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Blurib

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:51 am »

I was trying to locate the event you were talking about. Is it a Porcfest event or an Appleseed event that is scheduled at the same time?

I've attended the first day of Appleseed a while back. Most people shot with .22s on the first day since the ammo is cheap and the target it close.
The first thing I would do would be to zero your rifle for 25meters to practice. Then I  would practice the shooting positions, target and magazine changes as well as natural point of aim.  Here's a link to the first target you'll shoot on the first day that you can use to practice.
http://rwva.info/rwva%20pages/Promo%20Red%20Coats.pdf
If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah it is supposed to be right down the road Here is a http://happyporcupine.info/appleseed-shoot-2012/appleseed-color-flier_porcfest_june-21-22_2012_01/ Flyer. I have never done one before but i qualed expert 4 times in the navy. I was a master at arms, so we got a lot of range time. Anyway, should be a learning experience nonetheless. I plan to bring my rimfire only, i do not wish to drop the coin on the 7.62 but it will be in the car, and i hear they sell ammo there.  Thursday and Friday i guess.  So stoked for porcfest and the appleseed shoot!
A patriot to some, a traitor to others. Please judge and let your judgement be known, so that i may act appropriately.

*Link Removed*

NH2012

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:52 am »

Thanks for the link. I was an AT in the Navy. Maybe we can share some sea stories at Porcfest hehe.

I guess I should have started by asking how much of a shooting background you had.

I guess in your situation it would mostly be form or if nothing else timed practice.

I'd like to go again but I think I would miss too much of the other stuff so I'm kinda on the fence but if you wanted to get together and go shooting sometime I"m moving there (somewhere) first week of June.

Blurib

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:30:44 am »

Thanks for the link. I was an AT in the Navy. Maybe we can share some sea stories at Porcfest hehe.

I guess I should have started by asking how much of a shooting background you had.

I guess in your situation it would mostly be form or if nothing else timed practice.

I'd like to go again but I think I would miss too much of the other stuff so I'm kinda on the fence but if you wanted to get together and go shooting sometime I"m moving there (somewhere) first week of June.
I live in Faschichussetts at the moment, but a fairly decent part. I will be at rogers late on the 19th. But i am at Site #83. Please feel free to stop by.
No, i am rusty, i shoot for fun, alot, but if i make rifleman i would be surprised.
Very cool to meet you, my name is Matt.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:52:52 am by Blurib »

*Link Removed*

BikerBill

• Adventures in the Free State
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

If you'd like to get an idea of how an Appleseed weekend progresses, my club in Weare hosted our first Appleseed shoot last year, and I documented it with video and links here.

We're hosting our 2nd annual Appleseed in about 10 days, June 2-3, if ya want a tune-up before Porcfest...  ;)

Blurib

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:23 am »

If you'd like to get an idea of how an Appleseed weekend progresses, my club in Weare hosted our first Appleseed shoot last year, and I documented it with video and links here.

We're hosting our 2nd annual Appleseed in about 10 days, June 2-3, if ya want a tune-up before Porcfest...  ;)
So cool, i will watch them both now. This is mainly what i am interested in, the historical and future implication of 1775 and how it, served us before and, might serve us in the future as well... I remember my oath anyway, i bet NH2012 does too. Thanks!

*Link Removed*

Blurib

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:08 am »

What a great shot at the end. Really really entertaining. Thanks for that.

*Link Removed*

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »

Do you want tips on Appleseed, Porcfest, or both haha? I've been to both separately. I think the notes and precautions they mention on the Appleseed website are pretty sufficient. The one thing I would emphasize is making sure your elbows will be comfortable. I did Appleseed in Nov, so had on a few layers and a heavy winter coat, but still managed to get sore elbows though not blistered. Maybe the only other thing is to be as comfortable with your gun beforehand as possible. I borrowed a ruger 10/22 that didn't have the automatic bolt release, and it wrecked my thumbs pressing that teeny little lever the right way. Had to switch guns with my bf the next day due to blisters. Other than that stuff, just have some suncreen, bug spray and water and you should be set! The history lessons were pretty entertaining, it all depends on who is doing the talking.

Blurib

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

Do you want tips on Appleseed, Porcfest, or both haha? I've been to both separately. I think the notes and precautions they mention on the Appleseed website are pretty sufficient. The one thing I would emphasize is making sure your elbows will be comfortable. I did Appleseed in Nov, so had on a few layers and a heavy winter coat, but still managed to get sore elbows though not blistered. Maybe the only other thing is to be as comfortable with your gun beforehand as possible. I borrowed a ruger 10/22 that didn't have the automatic bolt release, and it wrecked my thumbs pressing that teeny little lever the right way. Had to switch guns with my bf the next day due to blisters. Other than that stuff, just have some suncreen, bug spray and water and you should be set! The history lessons were pretty entertaining, it all depends on who is doing the talking.

Thanks for the response, well my main concern is porcfest. I will be there and there is an appleseed shoot scheduled, so i thought i could roll them both into one! Maybe meet a few people who would want to go to the range down the road from rogers and brush up.
I am especially looking forward to hearing from everyone i watch on the internet all year...In person.
appleseed-color-flier_porcfest_june-21-22_2012_01

*Link Removed*

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »

Tips for Porcfest...boy have I learned the hard way about camping! Not sure how much camping experience you've had but I think I've made every mistake in the book. Lancaster, NH is pretty far north and up in mountain country, and even in late June it can still be a bit chilly sometimes. Things cool down at night significantly. Make sure you have warm socks, boots and sweaters to change into. Also, rain gear is absolutely crucial. Your tent should have seam sealer applied, and a coat of waterproof spray particularly if it's not a new tent. Have extra tarp and rope so you can do your cooking under cover (unless you only plan to use a campfire for cooking.) Have some practice setting your tent up so you're not fumbling, and a tent with a little screened in porch area or overhang is ideal so you're not dripping into your sleeping area and tracking in dirt. A basic rain suit can be had for $20 or so, I made sure to invest in that this year because last Porcfest it rained for most of the week and it sucks walking around getting soaked in a crappy poncho/carrying an umbrella all the time. On the other hand, there's heat considerations, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, water, and bug spray because who knows what the weather will actually do. I also recommend having an air mattress at the least, if not a cot, unless you've already slept on the ground for extended periods and been fine with it. Last year I had bruises all over my body because I didn't think about sleeping on hard ground for a week in advance.  Basically, it's all about the gear. If you're car-camping, pack as much as you reasonably and comfortably can.
Aside from basic weather considerations, definitely plan on buying at least a few meals from vendors, trust me you will want to. You can get a pretty good variety of stuff and the vendors are great! Plus, I bet you will not feel like making breakfast hungover for yourself every morning. However, you should still plan your meals in advance and have a satisfying menu to shop for when you get there. Bring some source of other entertainment like a frisbee, cards, swimsuit, or music instrument that allows you to interact with other people when maybe the events aren't interesting to you. The more preparation and forethought you put into it, the less you will get distracted by the conditions or have to spend on chores, when you should be focusing on meeting people and having fun! Let me know if you have any other questions or I missed something. I'm happy to give advice so other people don't make my mistakes.   

Blurib

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »

Tips for Porcfest...boy have I learned the hard way about camping! Not sure how much camping experience you've had but I think I've made every mistake in the book. Lancaster, NH is pretty far north and up in mountain country, and even in late June it can still be a bit chilly sometimes. Things cool down at night significantly. Make sure you have warm socks, boots and sweaters to change into. Also, rain gear is absolutely crucial. Your tent should have seam sealer applied, and a coat of waterproof spray particularly if it's not a new tent. Have extra tarp and rope so you can do your cooking under cover (unless you only plan to use a campfire for cooking.) Have some practice setting your tent up so you're not fumbling, and a tent with a little screened in porch area or overhang is ideal so you're not dripping into your sleeping area and tracking in dirt. A basic rain suit can be had for $20 or so, I made sure to invest in that this year because last Porcfest it rained for most of the week and it sucks walking around getting soaked in a crappy poncho/carrying an umbrella all the time. On the other hand, there's heat considerations, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, water, and bug spray because who knows what the weather will actually do. I also recommend having an air mattress at the least, if not a cot, unless you've already slept on the ground for extended periods and been fine with it. Last year I had bruises all over my body because I didn't think about sleeping on hard ground for a week in advance.  Basically, it's all about the gear. If you're car-camping, pack as much as you reasonably and comfortably can.
Aside from basic weather considerations, definitely plan on buying at least a few meals from vendors, trust me you will want to. You can get a pretty good variety of stuff and the vendors are great! Plus, I bet you will not feel like making breakfast hungover for yourself every morning. However, you should still plan your meals in advance and have a satisfying menu to shop for when you get there. Bring some source of other entertainment like a frisbee, cards, swimsuit, or music instrument that allows you to interact with other people when maybe the events aren't interesting to you. The more preparation and forethought you put into it, the less you will get distracted by the conditions or have to spend on chores, when you should be focusing on meeting people and having fun! Let me know if you have any other questions or I missed something. I'm happy to give advice so other people don't make my mistakes.   
That was great, thank you! I need to get a new air mattress, not to be taken lightly. I was wondering about the average weather. Good to know, my optimum operating range is chilly weather anyway. Looking forward to trading some real money for stuff. I have been into silver for awhile. Does anyone know if Gary Johnson is likely to show up? Being an election year i could see it not happening.  My buddy and i make and sell Paracord resistlets so we will kind of have a storefront for hours undecided. Probably just a few hours a day. But they are nice, we should have a bunch ready, and we will make one specific to you for a fee, ala minute..
Thanks again for the kind response.

*Link Removed*

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »

Supposedly he showed up last year briefly, but yeah I doubt that would happen again. You will probably see some other liberty superstars walking around though so keep your eyes peeled!

Blurib

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:08 am »

Supposedly he showed up last year briefly, but yeah I doubt that would happen again. You will probably see some other liberty superstars walking around though so keep your eyes peeled!
I will. Getting close now! :D

*Link Removed*
Pages: [1]   Go Up