Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection."  (Read 10731 times)

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 08:29:22 am by Sebastian »
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

Mickey

• Libertarian, Objectivist, head-banger

Good advice. Is that a quote? Who from?
Ubi libertas ibi patria
Where there is Liberty, there is my homeland.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker

"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearth-stone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature. "  --Abraham Lincoln (First Inaugural Address on March 4, 1861 )

I enjoy just about any antebellum quote from old Abe.  With the Civil War, I think he started to disregard all of his idealism and it went downhill from there, and so did the Republican Party.

--good advice for us, Sebastian!
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

Mickey

• Libertarian, Objectivist, head-banger

"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection."

I guess when bonds of affection break, any old bonds will do as replacement...
Ubi libertas ibi patria
Where there is Liberty, there is my homeland.

jenlee

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom Lover

I agree Sebastian

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection."
Choices. One, plenty of room to expand. Two, freeze em and stack em like cords of wood, thaw em out to vote and then refreeze em. Choices.

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian

This will not likely come as a surprise to anyone here, but forum thread creation has increased exponentially in the last couple of months.

How about a cease-fire?

There's more than enough material here already for everyone to make up their mind on their state rankings.  Unless one of the candidate states passes or repeals a major freedom-affecting statute between now and September 8th, adding more material just makes it harder to sort through what already exists, without adding a lot of value.

Why doesn't everyone step back and just read what's already here for a while?

Yes, I realize I'm dreaming, and the debate will rage right up to the last day of the vote.  Hopefully everyone will be civil again once the state is decided, and will bring the same passion to the  "FSP Political Strategy" board then.

Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA

This will not likely come as a surprise to anyone here, but forum thread creation has increased exponentially in the last couple of months.

How about a cease-fire?

There's more than enough material here already for everyone to make up their mind on their state rankings.  Unless one of the candidate states passes or repeals a major freedom-affecting statute between now and September 8th, adding more material just makes it harder to sort through what already exists, without adding a lot of value.

Why doesn't everyone step back and just read what's already here for a while?

Yes, I realize I'm dreaming, and the debate will rage right up to the last day of the vote.  Hopefully everyone will be civil again once the state is decided, and will bring the same passion to the  "FSP Political Strategy" board then.

I can agree with this.  Recently, it seems that things have degenerated into a rather bitter and irksome tennis match between opposing factions, as opposed to a beneficial dialogue on the "which state?" question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything