Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Towns Resemble Keene  (Read 3497 times)

gleongelpi

What Towns Resemble Keene
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

I've been coming here for a while to read. In the process, I have discovered that Keene seems to be to my liking: a small place with a neat downtown area and a community of people that would appear to be to my liking. Via the internet, I've seen other place that appeal to me, but they all seem to be rather small. Are there other towns similar to Keene that I may also explore.

I am 64 years old and live just outside Blowing Rock, NC, which is, in a way, like Keene. I do not have much money and I am a bookkeeper, working contractually. I like being out in the country, but also like a small town atmosphere where there will be a number of nice but inexpensive restaurants, and other places where people of like mind can get together to talk. I also have this idea of wanting to start an online publication for profit, and to that end having some locals who can write would be useful.

It seems to me that I would be please with the setting at Keene, but I do not want to cut myself short by not exploring other possibilities. Any suggestions about other towns. No big cities. I do not have to be driving to take care of my regular needs.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: What Towns Resemble Keene
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:06:19 pm »

It seems to me that I would be please with the setting at Keene, but I do not want to cut myself short by not exploring other possibilities. Any suggestions about other towns. No big cities. I do not have to be driving to take care of my regular needs.

None of the "cities" in NH are particularly large, Manchester is less then 110k people and can driven through fairly quickly.

My advice would be to explore along 101 between Keene & Nashua, 3A between Nashua & Manchester and 101 between Manchester & Hampton. All have nice little hamlets which might suit your needs and all are within easy reach of various local groups.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:01:35 pm by greap »

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:46:58 am »

for cute little towns ...... everywhere in NH
for very similar to keene
Lebanon, Plymouth and I assume Durham

but why not keene if you like it?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:42:55 am »

Hanover's similarish - also a college town. I like Portsmouth a lot, though it's maybe not quite as similar.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

Keene is lovely.  Here are over 150 reasons to move: http://move.freekeene.com
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Sandrock

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

When you say that you don't have to be driving to take care of your needs, do you mean someone does it for you?  If you don't have a car, these 'cute little towns' can be a drag to navigate to-and-from if you're dependent on a bus.  In my area, (Plymouth), there's a senior bus that's $3.00 to ride.  They'll come to your house, drive you to the store(s), and drop you back off later. 

Plymouth is a fairly diverse town.  A classic 'Main St., America' setting with a good-sized college to match.  I find the age diversity here is broad for the year-round locals, and then the college students offset the balance when they're around.  All-in-all, being right smack in the center of the state has it's advantages, also.  Gas here today was I believe $3.61, and the Hanaford's and other stores are fairly reasonable.  Right down the road south of us is Tilton, which has all the outlet stores and gives you access to the Lakes Region pretty quickly. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area. 

PraeterIdiot

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

Keene is great to walk around in and is lovely, but it does have city traffic congestion--not as horrendous as other places, of course, but people still drive like they got ass-hats stapled to their head.  If you don't have much money, shopping for groceries and household supplies downtown will dry you out quickly. 

If anything, spot for a visit to Keene and since you already sound interested in there, use the bulk of your visit to explore other towns.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:38:58 pm »

If you're trying to do it without a car, little towns may really not suit you. I find that larger cities are actually more walker-friendly and bus-friendly than little towns which can be quite spread out and not necessarily have a lot of amenities. I think Portsmouth might be good to check out, it's supposed to be one of the most walkable cities in the state. And FYI, I live in downtown Manch without a car. :)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:35:27 am »

Keene won walkable.org's most walkable place in NH.  Portsmouth was a runner-up.   8)
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

rank420

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »

Alot of great suggestions.

I am looking inbetween keene and manch myself.

TJames

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

Alot of great suggestions.

I am looking inbetween keene and manch myself.

Oh like me. :)

rank420

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »

exactly

we will be building earthships and vertical wind turbines  >:D

Pages: [1]   Go Up