Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: want to move  (Read 4745 times)

shooter77

want to move
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

Ok so I asked a couple of questions a while back my wife has been talking about moving to NH.  I've wanted to for about a year now.  I just want to make some contacts and look at jobs and whatnot.  We are going to discuss the possibility and weigh the pros and cons (there aren't many cons for me) and hopefully get underway on our planning.  I work in IT and she does office management stuff.  I'm libertarian and she doesn't really classify herself.  Id be nice to make friends in NH.  we lived in CO for a yr and a half and it was hard w/o close friends.  We are in NY now so close enough to visit one weekend. I'm into martial arts, working out and music (melodic/gothic/symphonic/opera metal)
wanna hear a joke?  Global Warming.  LOL!

FrugalFannie

Re: want to move
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »

Come to Porcfest

shooter77

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:10 pm »

I'm going to try to do that this year.  It's in June right?  what does an average tech support job pay there?  I see that the rent is higher.  just wondered if the pay makes up for it.  I guess that's my only real challenge a job and a place, and I don't know how insurance is about covering pku protein drink.  It should cover it fine.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »

Ok so I asked a couple of questions a while back my wife has been talking about moving to NH.  I've wanted to for about a year now.  I just want to make some contacts and look at jobs and whatnot.  We are going to discuss the possibility and weigh the pros and cons (there aren't many cons for me) and hopefully get underway on our planning.  I work in IT and she does office management stuff.  I'm libertarian and she doesn't really classify herself.  Id be nice to make friends in NH.  we lived in CO for a yr and a half and it was hard w/o close friends.  We are in NY now so close enough to visit one weekend. I'm into martial arts, working out and music (melodic/gothic/symphonic/opera metal)

The best area of the state for IT is in the south around the Nashua area, you can find commute times as well as a general idea of whats about http://www.freenashua.org/about/jobs

If you come up for a weekend drop us a note at http://www.facebook.com/groups/NashuaLibertySocial/ we usually meet on Sunday's but i'm sure a few would be happy to come out and meet you for drinks/dinner so you can get a feel for the local group.

FrugalFannie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »

I'm going to try to do that this year.  It's in June right?  what does an average tech support job pay there?  I see that the rent is higher.  just wondered if the pay makes up for it.  I guess that's my only real challenge a job and a place, and I don't know how insurance is about covering pku protein drink.  It should cover it fine.

I dont know about IT but my husband is an engineer. I would say starting out engineers would probably be in the 60's, experienced in the 80's and senior level in the $100,000+. I am extrapolating from my husbands salary.

time4liberty

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:07 pm »

762 technical support related jobs in NH:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=technical+support&l=NH

=)

time4liberty

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »

A more restricted, perhaps more relevant list:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=%22technical+support%22&l=NH

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »

IT people usually don't have problems finding jobs here, particularly anywhere in the souther part of the state. Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth would all be good...possibly Concord??? Also, I'm confused that rent is higher in NH than in NY??? Unless you live in like upstate, maybe?? I know someone in NYC whose rent was set to increase by almost as much as I pay in a month! Anyway, also don't forget that the lack of sales and income tax will give you an automatic raise.

If you're on facebook, don't forget to join the FSP Job Alert group. There's definitely IT/tech postings there. I don't think your wife should have too tough of a time either, although she might take a little longer than you.

Look forward to hopefully seeing you at Porcfest or for a regular visit!

shooter77

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:04:13 am »

upstate NY and it's not alot cheaper maybe 2 or 3 hundred/mon less here. more so if you out in the country here.  lol! Thanks for the info guys.  I did some looking and there appears to be enough to choose from.  as long as I can make near what I make now I'll be good.  Now is about 17.50/hr bear in mind I only keep about 70% of it (effin ny taxes...) hell maybe less than that I'm not the best mathematician.

shooter77

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:24 am »

IT people usually don't have problems finding jobs here, particularly anywhere in the souther part of the state. Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth would all be good...possibly Concord??? Also, I'm confused that rent is higher in NH than in NY??? Unless you live in like upstate, maybe?? I know someone in NYC whose rent was set to increase by almost as much as I pay in a month! Anyway, also don't forget that the lack of sales and income tax will give you an automatic raise.

If you're on facebook, don't forget to join the FSP Job Alert group. There's definitely IT/tech postings there. I don't think your wife should have too tough of a time either, although she might take a little longer than you.

Oh my wife is the job getting queen she'll have one within 2 wks guaranteed lol!!  She has like some magick powers or something.  It's amazing

time4liberty

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:12:40 am »

upstate NY and it's not alot cheaper maybe 2 or 3 hundred/mon less here. more so if you out in the country here.  lol! Thanks for the info guys.  I did some looking and there appears to be enough to choose from.  as long as I can make near what I make now I'll be good.  Now is about 17.50/hr bear in mind I only keep about 70% of it (effin ny taxes...) hell maybe less than that I'm not the best mathematician.

Yeah, when we moved from CA we got an instant 20% raise -- CA has 10% income tax and 10% sales tax (plus, expenses are far lower here).

shooter77

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:56 am »

Yeah, when we moved from CA we got an instant 20% raise -- CA has 10% income tax and 10% sales tax (plus, expenses are far lower here).

You know what's weird is that the cost of living index is high in NH, but they don't don't take into account that you pay less taxes when making those stats.  Houses aren't worth crap in NY so that's really the only factor that'd make NH cost of living high.  I'm sure gas is cheaper there than here.  I pay .20 more for non ethanol here.  It's rare!

shooter77

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:04 am »

I couldn't find the job alert group..  found fsp page though

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:06 am »

Hmmm, it is listed exactly as "FSP Job Alert" and is not a private group. If you pm me your FB name I can add you to the group though. Also, please feel welcome to post your resume, skills and experience, what you're looking for once you're added. The guy who runs the group, Kirk Inmotion, actually works at a hiring agency and is happy to give advice on your resume and other tips for your job search.

shooter77

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »

I think I'm gonna look close to the coast.  lookin at all those beach pics got me wanting to take up surfing..  LOL!! and I haven't seen girls in bikinis in a loooong time.  lol! >:D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up