Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just signed up and looking for work  (Read 3493 times)

RichardMcShane3

Just signed up and looking for work
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »

I just signed up to move up to the Free State hopefully within the year.  Looking at the Dover area for work.  I'm a mechanical engineer and my fiance is getting her phd in Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics.  We live in New Jersey now and are running for delegates for Ron Paul!  She defends this summer so we'll be looking to move as soon as possible.  Pretty exiting.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Just signed up and looking for work
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »

Welcome!

The local facebook group for the Seacoast region is https://www.facebook.com/groups/127711843973459/ which will let you connect with movers around that area.

In terms of jobs the technology sector is concentrated around the south of the state but there looks to be 58 mechanical engineer jobs available around Dover right now http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=mechanical+engineer&l=Dover%2C+NH (compared to 429 around the Nashua area). Biotech there is a smattering around NH but is mostly in northern mass running down to Cambridge, if she doesnt want to drive every day there is AmTrak service from Exeter down to Boston.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:10:10 am »

You might also consider the Exeter area.  It's not too far from the ocean, and it offers lots of commuting options.  From north shore Mass to Manchester, from Portsmouth to Kittery, it offers lots of options.

Downtown Exeter is also beautiful.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

I just signed up to move up to the Free State hopefully within the year.  Looking at the Dover area for work.  I'm a mechanical engineer and my fiance is getting her phd in Molecular Biology and Molecular Genetics.  We live in New Jersey now and are running for delegates for Ron Paul!  She defends this summer so we'll be looking to move as soon as possible.  Pretty exiting.

Salem, and the towns around it, are probably your wife's best commuting option to Cambridge, MA. There is a massive bio tech cluster there. I commute down myself. My employer lets me do it off peak hours. So, it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour.  I've tried commuting from the Sea Coast and Nashua. I found commuting from the Salem area to be the best option.

Plaistow is a very nice area that's not part of the Salem area. It's across the border in Haverhill and Lawerance, MA are MBTA commuter rail stations. If your wife takes a research position with one of the big pharma companies in Cambridge/Boston and her employer won't let her keep a flexible schedule, the commuter rail may be the best way for her to get to work.

For me, the commuter rail would take about 1:30 minutes of travel each way and would cost more than gas and what I pay for parking.  So, I drive. But, had the MBTA been better designed (with express trains, less stations, or a connector line between North and South Station), I'd much rather take it.

You can look at the MBTA routes on their web site:  http://mbta.com/ 

The site has a trip planner and an interactive Google Map overlay of the rail lines on this page:  http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

There are also some private bus lines that drop people at the MBTA subway stations:    http://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/rideshare/transit.htm

I didn't find those services to be fiscally appealing.  But, one of the people I work with takes Concord Coach Lines or Boston Express Bus (I don't recall which) down from Derry, NH everyday.

Finally, there's the DownEaster Amtrak train service that serves the Sea Coast. I never road it. But, I constantly hear about it being in danger of being canceled due to Amtrak running such a large deficit each year.

I'd strongly encourage you to make the move to NH.  I think you're really going to like living up here. I personally do. I've turned down many offers to move and work elsewhere. Boston is really the place to work if you're in biotech. I lived in Boston for a few years before I moved to NH. The two places are a night and day difference.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

Salem to Boston is, I believe 40 minutes with no traffic, but it can go over an hour during a typical commute.  Seabrook to Boston always seems to be about 45-55 minutes no matter what time of day I go.  On the coast, we rarely hit traffic, at least, until you get near Boston itself.

I know a couple of people who've moved from the Nashua area to the Seabrook area just to avoid that traffic.  In the evening, though, you definitely save 5-10 minutes from Salem.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up