Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi my name is Drew  (Read 6012 times)

Drew4NoState

Hi my name is Drew
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:14 am »

and am looking to relocate to New Hampshire soon. I am wanting to get in contact with someone in the area to visit, to meet some people, and to look for housing and employment. If anyone can help me out with any of these things then I will be most grateful.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Re: Hi my name is Drew
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:54 pm »

Welcome!

There are a lot of people in NH who would be glad to help you, depending on what part of the state you intend to visit / consider moving to. How soon would you be able to visit? A little more information such as type of job looking for, please. We have several realtors in the FSP, as well, they would want to know if you're looking to rent or buy, what your desired price range and size of place to look at, etc.

I moved to the Seacoast last year but can probably help best with some links, such as this one, where you can look up places to live: www.nneren.org.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:32 pm »

Welcome Drew!  Freestaters host meet-and-greets on a regular basis.  If you let us know when you will visit, we can more easily put together a welcoming party.

If you get a chance to come to Porcfest, do so.  It is an excellent chance to get answers to your questios from the hundreds of early movers and prospective participants that visit each year.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

Drew4NoState

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:09 am »

I'm thinking the best possible visit would be Porcfest, and the best possible time of relocation would be after the summer months, since I live in a resort town and will have the higher income savings then. I have experience working in restaurants as a busboy, foodrunner, expeditor, and barback, and have worked as an ocean lifeguard for three years as well. Since I do not forsee a very prominent income in the near future, I would be prospecting rental units from 300$ to 500$ a month, but would gladly paid less if someone can accommodate me as such. I'm a hard worker so I don't see a problem with any employment once I get the concept. I would love to become an active Porcupine near large conglomerates of FSP people, but would settle to drive to them. I'm excited to accomplish the move since it would be the largest decision I've made in my life.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:54 am »

You could get a studio apartment in Nashua or Manchester in the price range.  Those two areas probably also have the highest concentrations of movers.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Drew4NoState

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »

Yeah, that could work!

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:52:53 pm »

NH (and Nashua) rents are fairly high (to offset the high property taxes) but IMHO are more than offset by the lower prices and lack of taxes compared to surrounding states. If you want to keep a very low price check out Roommates.com and Craigslist. If you want your own unit the lowest priced apartments in a complex start at $625 (but you might be able to find better on Craigslist) try http://campbellapts.com/woodlands_info.html and http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000066178.php and http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000060066.php

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

Hey Drew, if you're interested in Manch I can give advice. If you're on FB, there is a West side manch housing group and Mark Warden (the official porc realtor), there's the FSP Job Alert (and if you're not using indeed.com, start looking there too! That's how I found my job here), and there's a bunch of different social groups too if you're interested. Porcfest would be a FANTASTIC idea for you to network and visit different areas. Also to get crazy! If there's anything Manch knows how to do it's party.
As far as rent goes, definitely check out craigslist for cheaper options. Another thing that gets overlooked is the value of actually scouting in person. In my experience that's been the best way to get an actually decent apartment with landlords that aren't just shadowy asshole companies. The range I've seen in Manch is usually 600-900 for 1 or 2 bedroom, rooms for rent are usually more like 400-500/month, or 150ish per week. I didn't have a hard time finding rooms for rent when I was first landing here late last summer, I doubt you would either. And from time to time porcs will rent out rooms to people around here, although frankly I have no idea what's available now. Hope that was helpful!

Drew4NoState

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »

Thanks guys all this is much appreciated. should I contact renters soon, or see what is available at the end of the summer? I'm guessing prices will go down by then?

Drew4NoState

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »

I can definitely see myself in Manchester.
Pages: [1]   Go Up