Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First post from a new member.  (Read 3387 times)

punk80

First post from a new member.
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:19 pm »

Hello,

I am a very new member to the Free State Project. My wife and I are seriously considering moving to New Hampshire. We currently live in North Carolina. However, the current draconian miasma that passes for this states government have compelled us to leave by necessity. We feel like aliens among the majority of people here. It's time to look elsewhere.

We are planning to drive up some time this fall for a visit/vacation. We know no one in New Hampshire. I have emailed several chambers of commerce in the coastal areas. Portsmouth and Hampton specifically. Any info. from forum members would be greatly appreciated. We have not set solid dates yet, but we will soon as our plan develops. We do have a dog. Hopefully we can find lodging for her as well. I know many hotels are pet friendly.

My wife and I are both college educated. I am a military veteran and a  former security contractor. I am currently employed in a supposedly "top tier" security industry. I say this because I was inquiring as to the employment prospects in New Hampshire. I am looking for a statewide overview. I realize that the topic of a job is most likely the most important consideration in this process. I am in the process of starting my own enterprise in the near future. My wife is also looking to create her own income. But a job will be necessary for awhile.

We are all about self sustainability and economic self sufficiency. I have read that New Hampshire is the place to be for a small entrepreneur.

We are indeed looking forward to meeting new people. Any info or tips would help and any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

G.D. and D.B.

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
Re: First post from a new member.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:44:23 pm »

Welcome!

We do have several former Carolinians up here.

NH is a great place to start a business. Getting an LLC is as easy as mailing in a single form with a $100 check. What type of business are you looking to start?

Best,
Mike

Maq

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

Welcome to the forum. My wife and my situation is eerily similar to yours. We live in NC and are planning our escape to NH with plans to start our business.  If you are anywhere near Raleigh, feel free to drop us a line.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

Hello

Welcome!

We know no one in New Hampshire. I have emailed several chambers of commerce in the coastal areas. Portsmouth and Hampton specifically. Any info. from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

There is free state presence all the way up the coast. For seacoast there is a social group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/127711843973459/ which would be a great way to network with some folks up that way.

My wife and I are both college educated. I am a military veteran and a  former security contractor. I am currently employed in a supposedly "top tier" security industry. I say this because I was inquiring as to the employment prospects in New Hampshire. I am looking for a statewide overview.

Overall unemployment here is extremely low, we are tied with Vermont for 4th with 5.1%, and this has been stable for some time. I can't really comment on the security side but as NH has relatively high per-capita income, has several pockets of extreme wealth and is commutable to Boston I wouldn't imagine you would have much trouble with work.

We are all about self sustainability and economic self sufficiency. I have read that New Hampshire is the place to be for a small entrepreneur.

The NH business climate is not as bad as many states but I wouldn't call it particularly good either. In terms of licensing there is a list available here detailing what the state regulates. Tax wise there is a state corporation tax (11th highest in the country) at 8.5% and there is also a 5% dividend/interest income tax.

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

<-- repping the 910 in Manchester NH

;D
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:52 pm »

Hey and welcome! You might want to consider posting this in the prospective participants or general discussion areas, where it would get more attention. This part is really more for people's moves that are coming up soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up