Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from CO! I just signed up for my daughter and I. Questions!  (Read 3049 times)

aynthena

My name is Ashley. I am 25 and currently live in Colorado Springs, CO. I have a 3 year old little girl. She is the reason I actually started caring about politics and what is going on. I am very excited about this project. I really have no idea where to even start looking at jobs, as I am more concerned with having a good community for my daughter than what job I have.

I was home-schooled from kindergarten through high school, and plan on doing the same for my daughter. Are there any communities that have a strong home-scool base and co-ops? As far as job markets.... I am in IT and Design. I run my own web and graphic design business from home currently and would ideally like to continue to do that. Do any of you have information, or can direct me towards resources, regarding small business licenses?

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Hello from CO! I just signed up for my daughter and I. Questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:38 am »

Do any of you have information, or can direct me towards resources, regarding small business licenses?

Nope. Because there are none. :)

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:02:25 am »

Hi Ashley,

You sound like you might enjoy the Seacoast. There is a local homeschool network and this is a haven of boutique service firms.

Are you planning to come visit anytime soon?

Best,
Mike

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:06 am »

My name is Ashley. I am 25 and currently live in Colorado Springs, CO. I have a 3 year old little girl. She is the reason I actually started caring about politics and what is going on. I am very excited about this project. I really have no idea where to even start looking at jobs, as I am more concerned with having a good community for my daughter than what job I have.

I was home-schooled from kindergarten through high school, and plan on doing the same for my daughter. Are there any communities that have a strong home-scool base and co-ops? As far as job markets.... I am in IT and Design. I run my own web and graphic design business from home currently and would ideally like to continue to do that. Do any of you have information, or can direct me towards resources, regarding small business licenses?

Welcome! :)

I was home-schooled in NH. There are great, active homeschool groups most places.

To start with, check out:

http://nhhomeschooling.org/
http://chenh.org/

But, many of the local groups aren't listed there ...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:32:06 am by time4liberty »

mollie5

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Hi Ashley,

I don't have much advice to offer but we're in the same boat. My husband and I are visual artists and are planning to move to NH from NYC. We're also very interested in homeschooling and finding a community that's good for our baby (4 month old). When are you planning on moving? I've been told that there are abundant job opps in IT. Parts of NH are also within commuting distance to Boston, MA- there may be more IT/Design jobs there. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for and if you need any advice later- or another mom to bounce ideas off of, hit me up.
-Mollie

aynthena

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:28 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone! That's awesome that there isn't business licensing. Here in CO, web design services are one of the few industries that do not require licensing, which I am very grateful for after watching others deal with it for their businesses.

Thanks for the links, @time4liberty, I will definitely check those out.

@Mollie5 I actually read through the thread you started before posting this one! It had a lot of great information.

I am pretty torn, just from spending 5 hours on the internet. I really like what I have read and seen regarding Portsmouth. I think I probably "walked" through half the town via google maps last night, and it was beautiful and really reminded me of the Ballard area of Seattle, which I loved. But, looking at job listings, there definitely seems to be more available for my line(s) of work in Nashua/Manchester areas. I would love to continue my business out there, and am planning to try to move towards a more internet based clientele. Currently, at least half my business is local business in the Denver/Colorado Springs area, and I just can't afford to lose that business. The cost of living seems like a pretty lateral move.

I am planning, ideally, to move out early next year at the latest. If I happen to have the means this summer, then I will go out sooner, but otherwise I'll wait for next Spring. Moving from Colorado to New Hampshire in the dead of winter just doesn't seem very fun, haha.

Thanks again, everyone =)

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »

PM me when you visit the Seacoast!

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:48:28 am »

I would suggest visiting in the later portion of June, say between the 18th and the 24th at the Porcupine Freedom Festival.  www.porcfest.com for more info.  If you plan on spending a bit of time here after PorcFest you can visit some of the areas you are interested in.

time4liberty

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:56 am »

Hi Ashley,

I don't have much advice to offer but we're in the same boat. My husband and I are visual artists and are planning to move to NH from NYC. We're also very interested in homeschooling and finding a community that's good for our baby (4 month old). When are you planning on moving? I've been told that there are abundant job opps in IT. Parts of NH are also within commuting distance to Boston, MA- there may be more IT/Design jobs there. Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for and if you need any advice later- or another mom to bounce ideas off of, hit me up.
-Mollie

Welcome! :)

Check this out (2700 NH IT jobs):

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=%22IT%22&l=NH

I really would only resort to MA after exhausting all other options -- you'd have to commute, live near the border where property prices are higher, and have to pay income tax. The job market in NH, especially in technical fields, is very good. I don't expect you'll have trouble, if you have decent experience and interview well.

A friend of mine, who's a graphic designer, had two different job offers within two weeks after moving.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:31:39 am by time4liberty »

time4liberty

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:02 am »

But, looking at job listings, there definitely seems to be more available for my line(s) of work in Nashua/Manchester areas.

I do recommend looking at all listings for NH, and then checking out where those locations are. I say this because most of the jobs in the Portsmouth area are not in "Portsmouth" proper. They're in towns around, like Exeter, Hampton, Durham, Seabrook, etc.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Hi and welcome!

If you're looking to switch to mostly Internet-based clientele, it really doesn't matter where in NH you set up shop as I'm sure you realize. But if you want to do your business as a supplement to a job just to have some security, then definitely stick with Southern NH. I live in Manchester and there is just a lot of tech stuff. Autodesk, Texas Instruments, Dyn DNS, Segway inventor Dean Kamen has a thinktank, and some more fairly major names I forget all have offices in downtown Manchester. I have no idea about homeschooling though.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:49 pm »

The southern seacoast is great for commuting to Mass--or even just finding temp work during the busy April-October season.  Some of us have even talked about setting up a low cost private school on the southern seacoast, and there seems to be quite a bit of interest here.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up