Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana Laws  (Read 12780 times)

rank420

Re: Marijuana Laws
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:11 pm »

Are each tax % voted on for each specific item? Or is it based on its "Evilness  >:D " like sin taxes?

Just wondering how the percentages were figured and why they differed item to item.

Budders

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 11:34:51 am »

what county in NH would be the most likely to vote not guilty on a cultivation charge of like 40 plants simply because the government doesnt have a right to interfere in marijuana laws?

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:23 am »

what county in NH would be the most likely to vote not guilty on a cultivation charge of like 40 plants simply because the government doesnt have a right to interfere in marijuana laws?

WeedaClaus lives in Grafton and managed to convince a jury to reduce his "manufacturing" charges to simple possession using a jury nullification defense.   NH has recently passed a law preventing judges from prohibiting a jury nullification argument in court.

http://fr33agents.com/bob-weeda-claus-constantine-in-nh-magazine/

Budders

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 01:42:40 pm »

right, when i saw that law pass is when i decided to join FSP.  i realized if you can argue that, then it sure is free.  how could they jail someone for growing weed in the LIVE FREE OR DIE state?  if they believe that then by their own slogan, they should die.  it should be easiest to convince a NH jury then any state.  the mmj laws nh was lookng at passing kind of weak though but its a step in the right direction.  when is the next governor election?   

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »

The State government actually does.
As for which county... hard to say... as the jury pool could vary.

And the judges only prevented the jury nullification argument in court, because the NH Constitution made the suspension of laws a legislative authority... not a judicial one. Once the Legislature was willing to advocate its authority to juries... the court will just stand aside.

The next governor will be elected this fall. But the 'Live Free or Die' slogan is not a jurist matter, its a suggestion from the past that you should be willing to forgo your life before your freedom. Its more like the question: Are you willing to give up your life to do this?

Budders

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »

yea NH is one of the strictest states in the nation if you cant convince a jury to nullify.  really sucks but that is the only thing that would hold me back, and im not sure im still considering thats why im not there yet. i stay in CA where you can grow whatever you need.  i really want to head back east though and NH is one of my favorite states and i see almost eye to eye on all their other laws especially like the lack of oppressive gun legislation and lack of sales and income tax.  i would want to help change the legislation there but it is so oppressive. i figured being able to argue for nullification on those insane laws would not the most difficult task for a well seasoned lawyer,  i would assume your chances would be good.  also i would assume that nh would respect property rights more than other states nearby to the point where you would not really be raided without a warrant and the sheriff would need a good reason to get one?

also, IMO Cannabis use and growing is extremely spiritual and the first amendment is clear  freedom of religion and its expression, which the kangaroo court ruled they could do away with if the government has a vested interest, which stopping people from using a harmless plant does not qualify IMO.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:08:17 pm by Budders »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »

NH has income and sales taxes...
Other States tend to use a broad-based sales or income tax with exemptions.
While NH uses a narrowly defined system, that they can slowly widen over time.

A well-seasoned lawyer, or any lawyer for that matter, is really at the mercy of the jury pool. Get a jury pool that is sympathetic to your position, and even without a lawyer, the odds in your favor go up.

But it is much easier to convince a majority of twelve neighbors living in your county than it is to convince a majority of two-hundred thousand neighbors living in your State.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up