Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana Laws  (Read 12768 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Marijuana Laws
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:19:16 pm »

Really?  Matt Simon is still the executive director of NH Common Sense/NH Compassion?  Who knew.

No, according to their website, Kirk McNeil is.

He's a cool guy.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

madeinmotown

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:42 pm »

Really?  Matt Simon is still the executive director of NH Common Sense/NH Compassion?  Who knew.

No, according to their website, Kirk McNeil is.

He's a cool guy.

You don't say?

freedomroad

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:39 pm »

But wait. There is something else that has been happening in N.H. Just this year the state approved a law that strengthens the rights of juries to judge the facts of the case and the application of the law in relation to the facts in controversy. The law, 146, will take effect next year. If the government as a whole drags its feet on drug reform, publicity from a jury acquitting a defendent facing a marijuana charge might just well be the encouragement that they need.

HB146 passed the House last year.  The Senate amended it and passed it this year.  Since it was amended, it has to go back to the House and pass again before it can head to the governor. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=91&sy=2012&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2012&txtbillnumber=hb146&q=1

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:59:13 pm by LoveAndPeace »

freedomroad

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »

On Wednesday, the NH House will vote on a watered down, partial decriminalization bill, HB1526.

It slightly lowers the penalty for less than 1/2 an ounce of marijuana. It is similar to but more conservative than a law that passed in Maine in 1976.  I am pretty sure marijuana use is higher in NH than Maine so perhaps it will lead to reduced marijuana usage in NH.

The bill, as amended: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/amendments/2012-0593H.html
State Rep. lookup: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/housemembers.html

TJames

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »

On Wednesday, the NH House will vote on a watered down, partial decriminalization bill, HB1526.

It slightly lowers the penalty for less than 1/2 an ounce of marijuana. It is similar to but more conservative than a law that passed in Maine in 1976.  I am pretty sure marijuana use is higher in NH than Maine so perhaps it will lead to reduced marijuana usage in NH.

The bill, as amended: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/amendments/2012-0593H.html
State Rep. lookup: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/housemembers.html

Why do you think use is higher in NH is that because ME is demographically older. MJ brings more money here than any other crop and this is a farming state. Both Republican Houses voted to legalize it last year but the Federal government stopped that before it could get to the governor, I think.

rank420

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 01:54:21 pm »

This is an important issue for me.

As a California MMJ patient and caregiver moving out of the free-est GROWING state makes me a bit nervous.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:37 pm »

Sadly we didn't make the veto-proof majority today, so the bill did not pass :'(

TJames

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 06:15:16 am »

How do the Nov 6 potentials stand on this issue?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

Hard to say. Filing for office just barely closed. And I don't think any debates or questionaires have been sent/returned.

TJames

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »

Town nullification? It is allowed in Maine but Maine is less centralized. Maybe we should start with issues they don't care about and move up to cannabis.

freedomroad

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 07:34:46 pm »

How do the Nov 6 potentials stand on this issue?

Rumors are the Libertarian is in favor of medical marijuana, both likely Democrats candidates are in favor and Kevin Smith, an unlikely Republican candidate is against medical marijuana.  I haven't heard anything on where the likely Republican candidate stands on the issue.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:13:04 pm by LoveAndPeace »

time4liberty

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »

Town nullification? It is allowed in Maine but Maine is less centralized. Maybe we should start with issues they don't care about and move up to cannabis.

No way - we're already winning this issue. Polls show the vast majority of NH residents support medical cannabis, as do near supermajorities in both houses. It's just the anachronistic governor, who still wants to throw sick people in jail ... and he'll be gone next term.

freedomroad

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

There is a lot of good news in New Hampshire on the medical marijuana issue.

There were 24 NH state senator in the 2011-2012 session in NH.  Of the 24 senators, 16 or 2/3s of them voted for medical marijuana including 11 of the 19 Republicans and 5 of the 5 Democrats.  Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, they all didn't vote for medical marijuana at the same time.
Bradley, Jeb    Republican       03    Yea
Bragdon, Peter    Republican       11    Yea
D'Allesandro, Lou    Democrat       20    Yea
De Blois, Tom    Republican       18    Yea
Forsythe, James    Republican       04    Yea
Gallus, John    Republican       01    Yea
Groen, Fenton    Republican       06    Yea
Houde, Matthew    Democrat       05    Yea
Kelly, Molly    Democrat       10    Yea
Lambert, Gary    Republican       13    Yea
Larsen, Sylvia    Democrat       15    Yea
Luther, Jim    Republican       12    Yea
Merrill, Amanda    Democrat       21    Yea
Sanborn, Andy    Republican       07    Yea
Stiles, Nancy    Republican       24    Yea
White, Raymond    Republican       09    Yea

More good news, Groen, Fenton (r) switched sides. While he originally was opposed to medical marijuana, logic convinced him to support it. More bad news, D'Allesandro, Lou (d) and Larsen, Sylvia (d) switched sides because (the rumor is that) they didn't want to embarrass Governor John Lynch (d) by overriding his veto.

There is a good chance that Reagan, John (r) will replace Barnes, Jr., John (r) as Barnes is retiring and wants Reagan to replace him.  Reagan supports medical marijuana.  Several Republicans in swing districts are retiring.  More than likely, in the majority of those districts, a senator supporting medical marijuana will be elected.  D'Allesandro, Lou (d) flip flops on the issue but he faces a Republican opponent who is in favor of medical marijuana.

My guess is the NH Senate will be more in favor of medical marijuana next session and of the 4 top gubernatorial candidates, 2, if not 3, support medical marijuana.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:05:47 pm by LoveAndPeace »

TJames

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:48 pm »

I was just thinking that town nullification might be good anyway. Maybe not on this issue, but there are some things where Maine is actually more libertarian. Are we winning with wiretapping?

Is it an advantage to us that the state is highly centralized? Yes, as long as we are in power. Then we can impose freedom onto Portsmouth.

freedomroad

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »

I was just thinking that town nullification might be good anyway. Maybe not on this issue, but there are some things where Maine is actually more libertarian. Are we winning with wiretapping?

Town nullification isn't enforceable in NH.  Maine isn't worse than NH on every single issue.  I agree :) 

Wiretapping?  NH doesn't have unreasonably excessive wiretapping laws, as far as laws go.  The police and prosecutors used to pretend they didn't know how to read in NH or something.  However, after the Glik case, the NH AG told the police in NH that they may be held personally liable if they falsely arrest someone for wiretapping.  No cop has falsely arrest anyone for wiretapping in NH since the NH AG told the police that info.  It may happen and we are paying attention to the issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up