Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi my name is Travis.  (Read 3534 times)

TJames

Hi my name is Travis.
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »

I'm a classical liberal with a hint of volunteerism on given days, from the mid-coast of Maine. I want to move by July 2013. I heard about the FSP from the Ridley Report on youtube.

I started taking some libertarian positions in my late teens but I didn't know anyone else thought like me on these positions. For example, on marriage I concluded that government shouldn't even license it but simply treat a married man and woman who live together exactly the same as they would treat an old woman and her 22 year old grand daughter. Gay marriage would only be a church issue that way. Three years latter I was shocked to hear Ron Paul say the same thing. Shortly before I heard about Ron Paul in Aug 08 I knew by name I was libertarian leaning but it wasn't until I started studying Ron Paul and other libertarian view points that I saw libertarianism as workable. I have been following the Ridley Report on youtube for years and from there I went to other libertarian media sources (not a lot in the FSP though) and they have influenced me strongly as a libertarian.

I don't personally have any friends in the FSP and I'd like to get more FSP media. I want to network with farmers and gardeners, bulk buying clubs, tax resisters, science enthusiast, anyone with ideas about how we could privatize welfare, pro gun communities, charities, homeschoolers but I don't have any kids yet, the Republican Liberty Caucus, Seventh-day Adventist and other Christians, classical liberals, Austrian and Chicago economic school students and enthusiast, Ron Paul supporting and other libertarian TEA parties, and commodity currency users. Maybe single women too but I'm not there in life yet. I'm thinking I'd like to move to a very rural area in a warm planting zone, so I'd be in the south maybe NE of Keene or between Manchester Laconia and Rochester. I also see a lot of you saying Goffstown is good (it is a little close to a city and has a large population though) I'd prefer a town with less than 5,000.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Hi my name is Travis.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »

Welcome.

If you are free this weekend you should come join us at http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum in Nashua, Joel Salatin is speaking which might be of interest to you.

TJames

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

Welcome.

If you are free this weekend you should come join us at http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum in Nashua, Joel Salatin is speaking which might be of interest to you.

Peter Schiff will be there? Awesome! I think I have prior commitments but I don't remember what. I can definitely travel as far west as Freeport ME if anyone wants to give me a ride and take me in for the week. And I'd need a ride back to Freeport or my home in Pittston on Sunday or Monday.

If anyone is willing to accommodate me then send me a private message so we can exchange contact info.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »

Welcome.  Here are 130+ reasons to consider a move to the Keene area.  http://move.freekeene.com
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:59 pm »

Welcome! I hope you can arrange a ride to LF, it will be my first time going there as well. I moved from Utah to NH in Sept.

I like many of the issues you bring up, and it does seem like we liberty folk could be more organized on some of these single-issue topics, for instance private welfare. I have joined meetup groups for specific social hangouts, for instance a boardgame meetup group. It seems like specific issues could also have regular events (even if it was just every 3 months or so, or 2x a year with a gathering at LF and PF). Of course, the discussions can also easily be done online like in this forum, but events would be nice too.

I don't know that I would want to be part of something that was just discussing the same points about the benefits of privatization over and over again, but if we had a plan and a program we were accomplishing, and the issue was important to me, I think it could be very cool to do. I was thinking a private welfare group could not only discuss how to accomplish this, but compile some stats that would be useful in persuading the many utilitarians in society to vote for privatization. For example, visit some private charities and government agencies that give help to the poor, and record what you see and how much infrastructure they use to help people, how many people are involved, with or without compensation, how much money do they have, and how much of that is from private donations, what checks are there to keep out leaches who are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves and just want "free" money, how many obstacles are there for someone who really needs help to get it and how long does it take, how much does the organization's procedures motivate and help the person to change their life so they don't need help any more (not much with the government agencies), how much time do the poor get with the caring people of the organization for each of these, how caring are the people (hard to quantify but a short description would reveal a lot), etc. The hardest part would be getting permission to see the operations of the government agencies, but we could always interview people who are on government welfare. I don't know if I'd want to do all those visits, but I could do some of that, and I might help set up something for recording the info. I just thought of this while writing this reply, is anyone else interested in this?

Anyway, hope to see you around, and good luck making the move next year!
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

TJames

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »

Hi Ian, Hi 10states. No one has offered me a ride yet. I guess I'll need to continue to looking forward to meeting free staters. :'(

I don't know much about welfare but a few weeks ago a semi privatized system cooked in my mind over the course of a morning. I shared it with a libertarian friend a little bit older than me and he thought it sounded good. I don't think it would be fully libertarian but it would be how to get there from here. I will outline it for you guys and I hope you can modify it or propose alternate ideas and clear up any misconceptions I might have, but it's 11:45pm and I may want to do that on a different thread anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up