Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Important Ballot Initiative in Salem, NH (this March)  (Read 4154 times)

anon37268573

• First1000
Very Important Ballot Initiative in Salem, NH (this March)
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

Next month Salem, NH voters will decide if the town should become an SB2 town.  Towns that are not SB2 towns hold a second deliberative session on items that were voted on in the general election. Town residents that show up to the second deliberative session (town meeting) are allowed to override the majority poll votes. Typically, what happens is that a bunch a union thugs show up at the town meetings (school teachers, fire fighters, town employees, and police officers) and vote themselves lucrative pay raises, benefit increases, and contracts, that voters declined to provide in the general election.

Last election cycle, several million dollars in voter defeated initiatives were reactivated and approved by the thugs at the town meeting overturning the will of the people.  These "voter overrides" dramatically increased property taxes for residents of the town during the worst recession since the Great Depression.

If you live in Salem, NH *please please pretty please* get out and vote to make Salem, NH an SB2 town and end the second deliberative session.  Let the majority vote at the polls stand.  Every vote counts! The second deliberative session will not be able to override the SB2 town charter change.

Also, please do not vote for Elizabeth Roth or Susan Covey for selectman.

Here is a news article with some additional information:

http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x638260805/Salem-voters-mum-on-SB-2-proposal

And polling places and times:

http://www.eagletribune.com/townmeeting/x831626407/N-H-polling-times-places
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:03:30 pm by anon37268573 »

edmnd

Re: Very Important Ballot Initiative in Salem, NH (this March)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »

Whatever happened to this? Did it pass?

Also curious, wouldn't this mean that you could rally free staters, libertarians, conservatives to the meetings to over-ride the unions and perhaps cut the spending and direct it into more useful avenues rather than arbitrary pay raises and increases in taxes? Or is it too risky?

Or am I just missing something important?
"The silver trump of freedom had roused my soul to eternal wakefulness. Freedom now appeared, to disappear no more forever. It was heard in every sound, and seen in every thing. It was ever present to torment me with a sense of my wretched condition. I saw nothing without seeing it, I heard nothing without hearing it, and felt nothing without feeling it. It looked from every star, it smiled in every colm, breathed in every wind, and moved in every storm." - The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

Whatever happened to this? Did it pass?

Also curious, wouldn't this mean that you could rally free staters, libertarians, conservatives to the meetings to over-ride the unions and perhaps cut the spending and direct it into more useful avenues rather than arbitrary pay raises and increases in taxes? Or is it too risky?

Or am I just missing something important?

It passed. Salem, NH is now an SB2 town. So, overriding the ballot at the town meeting is no longer possible. IIRC, there is only one non-SB2 town left in NH.

The problem with just getting a bunch of free staters etc to show up is that people have jobs, families, and other priorities. Plus, free staters are very spread out. You can see that from the forum posts where when ever some one says they're moving people encourage them to go to Keene, Seabrook, Grafton, Portsmouth, Manchester, or tons of other different places.  There's only three or four free staters living in Salem that I know of.  Probably 100+ town employees, paving contractors, contractor employees, etc, all with their families showed up at the meetings. 100+:3... not very hopeful. And, no one wants to stand up in front of a cop that they drive by doing traffic enforcement every day and vote to cut his benefits. It's really important to have secret ballots.

We all need to focus more on getting movers and on getting people to run for office and party positions (both Democrat and Republican) after they arrive.  A lot of votes (be they Board of Selectmen or general election) in New Hampshire are decided by a very tiny margin.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10:09 pm »

And, no one wants to stand up in front of a cop that they drive by doing traffic enforcement every day and vote to cut his benefits. It's really important to have secret ballots.

You can demand a secret ballot at a town meeting.  You need a petition requesting a secret ballot for a given question but, if I recall correctly, you only need two signatures on that petition.

With SB2, there's still the deliberative session, prior to the election, where the budget may be amended line by line.  When the police budget came up, here in Grafton, we did a secret ballot vote on the amendment to reduce it.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:17 pm »

IIRC, there is only one non-SB2 town left in NH.

There are dozens on non SB2 towns left in NH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up