Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of Real Estate & Housing  (Read 2560 times)

gharper

• I'm a llama!
Cost of Real Estate & Housing
« on: July 16, 2003, 09:26:10 pm »

As a newby to this forum, please excuse me if this has been previously addressed & and direct me to the appropriate discussion line.

Since becoming aware of the FSP over a year ago, New Hampshire was my choice of state. Having just re-read the first New Hampshire Report, I now have serious doubts about this decision revolving mostly around the affordability of real estate and housing. It seems New Hampshire may have rather severe land use restrictions which drives up these costs to a point that it may pose a hardship to many during the relocation stage.

Amy Day, in her report, states that towns have zoning restrictions specifying minimum 1 acre home sites, with acreage priced in the $75K - $100K range for 1 acre. On top of this there is a 10% state developement tax and possibly a town impact fee. With costs like this, I would guess that low end housing would be in the $150K range, or higher.

Also she reports that because of the severe restrictions, there is a shortage of multi-unit housing, with 2 bedroom apartment units going for about $900 a month.

My experience with the LP, dating back to 1980, leads me to the belief that outlays of this magnitude would be prohibitive for many libertarians and if these figures are close to accurate, could well cause the project to fail. This needs to be discussed and considered before the vote.

I have switched my preference to Alaska but at this time have read nothing on housing costs. Could someone provide this data?

Blain

• FSP Participant
  • Liberty or Death!
    • Infowars
Re:Cost of Real Estate & Housing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 09:52:45 pm »

what are you talking about?  I live in MA and remember reading in the want ads about a month or so ago about 70 acres for sale in NH for like 100k.  Forget what is was exactly, but was around there somewhere.  
The following flash movie sums up values.
http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

"A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made an

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 09:58:40 pm »

With costs like this, I would guess that low end housing would be in the $150K range, or higher.
I'm sure it mostly depends on where in NH you want to settle. But yes, the price of average housing in NH seems to be high. Still, as that was my initial objection as well, I found more than enough houses that fit my wishes for a decent price. My initial objection has largely faded, though the high property tax still worries me (but Governor Benson may be able to cut the property tax in half).
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 10:05:29 pm »

what are you talking about?  I live in MA and remember reading in the want ads about a month or so ago about 70 acres for sale in NH for like 100k.  Forget what is was exactly, but was around there somewhere.  

A couple of the people who came to Escape to NH mentioned finding land for sale as low as $300 per acre (maybe it was $500??). Housing is affordable in NH - according to Census data , the value of owner occupied housing units in NH is $133,300 as compared to a national average of $119,600. Somewhat higher, but offset by a strong economy and job outlook. The median home value in Alaska, by the way is $144,200.

In any case, gharper, if you haven't already read it, I would encourage you to read 101 Reasons to Vote for NH (linked in my sig file) to get a broader view of the economic outlook in NH.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 11:51:49 pm »

Hi GHarper,

We've had several threads on NH real estate.  The majority of NH's population lives south of Concord, and land gets cheaper and more available as you go further north.  Once you pass the White Mountains, it gets damn affordable.

Here's the most relevant thread, with land and homes from Coos and Grafton Counties.  Hope you find this helpful.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=2242&start=0
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Pages: [1]   Go Up