Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home School / Alternative education questons  (Read 8166 times)

maddog1927

Home School / Alternative education questons
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:24:56 pm »

My wife is interested in home school, private school, and / or other forms of alternative education.

I am looking for recommendations on related podcasts, forums, blogs, and any other type of information and support.

We are in Mesa, AZ. 

our children are 12, 9, 6, and 3.

The 9 year old has dyslexia, and is our top priority.  He is currently in a private school, but we need to do something different that will help more with his dyslexia.

They 12 year old is doing ok in government school, except she is not as resistant to mind control as I was.

The 6 year old is excelling educationally, but I am worried of his great sense of humor, creativity, and general excitement being crushed.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: Home School / Alternative education questons
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:00:43 pm »

* For any kids in school, it's increasingly important to get waivers to avoid vaccinations, since they're increasingly dangerous. See here and click on your state: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx
* This site says what the law is for home schooling in each state: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp - It says AZ only requires parental notification.
* Here are home school groups in each state or country: http://www.home-school.com/groups/
http://www.home-school.com/
http://www.home-school.com/mall/
* Here's info on dyslexia: http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=dyslexia

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

We have homeschooled our kids through 8th grade and you can meet them at the Liberty Forum. Starting next year, all three will be at different private high schools in or near New Hampshire.

We have an eclectic approach, because we don't like formal curricula yet favor more structure than unschooling. Our biggest influences are John Taylor Gatto, Dr. Art Robinson (of the Robinson Curriculum), Charlotte Mason and Gary North. Googling any of these will get you websites, forums, and blogs. We haven't found a homeschool-specific podcast that we always listen to, but there are hundreds of good podcasts to use for learning - History (The History of Rome, Byzantine Empire, Great Moments), Science (Scientific American has 6(?) podcasts, Nature, Nova, Science Friday), Language (several good Mandarin Chinese podcasts), etc.

Our daughter is dyslexic, so I really would like you and your wife to talk with my wife and me at the LF. Homeschooling has given my daughter lots of tools. This past fall, she had an intensive week using the Davis Method. Here is a good book with a different focus: http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Dyslexia-Complete-Science-Based-Problems/dp/0679781595

If you stay in Mesa, I would suggest looking at the Basis schools. They are charters in Arizona that win tons of awards.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

maddog1927

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:00 am »

Thanks for the great info.  A lot has been happening of late.  We are well on the way to getting my son into a private school in Scottsdale that works specifically with dyslexia.  Arizona has a state income tax credit, not deduction, credit, for school donations, there are some hoops to jump through, but others have been able to fund private schools by getting donations from friends, family and co workers. 

My 12 yr old daughter started home school yesterday.  She had gone to a really good charter type school (Franklin) for elementary school, but when she changed schools to Jr. High (7th grade here) things did not go so well. 

My wife is not coming to LF with me.  Although a fan of liberty she is not quite a passionate about it as I.  My daughter is coming with me though, which may mean that I spend more time vacationing that at LF, but her need for daddy daughter time trumps the LF ;).

Hope to see you there, look for Clint from AZ, possibly with a 12 yr old red head in tow.

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »

I was homeschooled all my life in a very nontraditional environment, and I turned out okay (I hope). I probably have ADD (who knows, I was never diagnosed), and the homeschooling environment really helped. I also live in the greater Phoenix metro area. If you want to meet and talk about it then send me a PM.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

pecanart

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:38:20 am »

Had a girl that said she doesnt like Ron Paul because he wants more home schooling and said she doesnt get paid enough as it is. Any thoughts on that? I gae her a pretty good answer but she still did not comprehend it.

TJames

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:58 am »

Had a girl that said she doesnt like Ron Paul because he wants more home schooling and said she doesnt get paid enough as it is. Any thoughts on that? I gae her a pretty good answer but she still did not comprehend it.

On Reason TV I saw some guys in CA who said they are single issue voters, voting to fully legalize marijuana. But that is because they operate a dispensary and the federal government is treating them like criminals. I don't know how I put it to her but I think she is being narrow and selfish. She is acting like MIC and so called capitalist who are actually corporatist. Maybe you could ask her in a polite way how she thinks an amoral corporatist will vote and if it is just.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:05 am »

Alternative Education: History
* A woman who was taking a history class recently asked this question, and I gave the reply below, after getting help from internet searches.
Who was better prepared for the Civil War, the North or the South?
* I had heard, mainly from the LaRouche organization, that the South was much better prepared for war than was the North. But I decided now to see what other folks may say on the internet. I found agreement with me, but no disagreement. I also found some other interesting claims. I'll share below.
Lincoln Blamed Papacy
* Several websites say Lincoln privately blamed the papacy and the Jesuits for fomenting the Civil War, i.e. by preaching secessionist and or racist views to southerners, I think.
Mary blamed House
http://www.camelotforum.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=31&id=48010&Itemid=164
An often unreported fact is that the British banks constantly harangued Lincoln to finance the Civil War through them at 35% interest. He refused but their agent in DC was Edward House. When Lincoln was shot Mary Lincoln blamed House. House's son Edward Mandel House went on to become Woodrow Wilson's adviser urging his acceptance of the Federal Reserve Act; Mandel House also went on to form the Council On Foreign Relations. The British influence in America is continuing and ongoing through these orgs.
[Remember, I said I'm probably related to Wilson? He expressed regret before he died for signing the Federal Reserve Act, I believe, saying he feared it would ruin the country.]
Russia Thwarted Britain
* This is part of a comment on an article at this website: http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=24678.
- In December, 1861, a large British, French and Spanish expeditionary force was landed at Vera Cruz in defiance of the Monroe Doctrine. This together with direct British aid to the Confederacy, and the fact that the Confederate army was far better trained and armed than the Federal forces at the outset of the war, brought the fortunes of the North to a very low ebb; and every indication at this stage was that Britain was preparing to enter the war.
- In this extremity, President Lincoln appealed to Britain’s perennial enemy Russia for aid. When the document with this urgent appeal was given to Alexander II, he weighted it unopened in his hand and stated: “Before we open this paper or know its contents, we grant any request it may contain. On the day on which your President was inaugurated, we, Alexander II of Russia, signed the protocol which liberated twenty-three million serfs. Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, has freed four million slaves. Therefore, whatever he asks of Russia, Russia will grant, for Alexander II will not be a factor in the enslavement of any man.” Unannounced, a Russian fleet under Admiral Lisiviski steamed into New York harbour on September 24, 1863, and anchored there; while the Russian Pacific fleet under Admiral Popov arrived at San Francisco on Oct. 12th. Of this Russian action, Gideon Wells said: “They arrived at the high tide of the Confederacy and the low tied of the North, causing England and France to hesitate long enough to turn the tide for the North.”
KGC Civil War Conspiracy
* This is why the South was better prepared. KGC armed and trained southerners.
http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com/
- The Knights of the Golden Circle or K.G.C. had its beginnings in the formation of Southern Rights Clubs in various southern cities in the mid-1830s. These clubs were inspired by the philosophies of John C. Calhoun (1782–1850). Calhoun had an illustrious political career serving as a congressman from his home state of South Carolina, a state legislator, vice president under the administrations of both John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson, and a U. S. senator. (The county I'm from was named after Calhoun.) In addition to the Southern Rights Clubs, which advocated the re-establishment of the African slave-trade, some of the inspiration for the Knights may have come from a little-known secret organization called the Order of the Lone Star, founded in 1834, which helped orchestrate the successful Texas Revolution resulting in Texas independence from Mexico in 1836.
- Strong evidence suggests that Albert Pike (1809–1891) was the genius behind the influence and power of the Masonic-influenced K.G.C., while Bickley was the organization's leading promoter and chief organizer for the K.G.C. lodges, what they called “Castles,” in several states. During his lifetime, Boston-born Pike was an author, [mis-]educator, lawyer, Confederate brigadier general, newspaper editor, poet, and a Thirty-third Degree Mason [and the head of the Masons]. From its earliest roots in the Southern Rights Clubs in 1835, the Knights of the Golden Circle was to become the most powerful secret and subversive organization in the history of the United States with members in every state and territory before the end of the Civil War. The primary economic and political goal of this organization was to create a prosperous, slave-holding Southern Empire extending in the shape of a circle from their proposed capital at Havana, Cuba, through the southern states of the United States, Mexico, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America. The plan also called for the acquisition of Mexico which was then to be divided into fifteen new slave-holding states which would shift the balance of power in Congress in favor of slavery.
* That article is worth reading. But another thing that it failed to mention is that the KGC became the KKK after the Civil War. Ku Klux means Kuklos, which means Circle in Greek. So Pike and his co-leader Mason in Italy initiated the KKK in the U.S. and the Mafia in Italy.

Would Slavery Have Ended Anyway?
* The history student also suggested that, had there been no Civil War, slavery would have ended anyway, but I think otherwise. Here's why. Suppose you owned self-replicating robots that could do any work humans could do at very little cost and you could also sell them for big money. Who would give that up, if they thought the robots weren't human and didn't have any human rights? Most people thought of slaves in a similar way. They were valuable to owners, but not considered human by most.
- I don't condone all the killing that occurred in the Civil War, but it's hard to place blame for it. The secessionists seemed too impatient with the Union. I think the Unionists were largely on the defensive and were mainly concerned that Britain and France would be able to overpower our divided nation and re-establish tyranny, that had been overthrown by the American Revolution. Had there been no Civil War, and the South had seceded, I'm afraid slavery would still exist and human rights would have very little meaning to anyone today.
- Ron Paul is thought by many to be a racist, because he is misinterpreted. Thankfully, today most libertarians seem to be humanitarians who support human rights for all. There is still racism today, but I believe it's much less serious than it used to be. The ruling class is probably the most racist, and is trying to use the media to foment racism against Arabs and Muslims.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:23:36 am by Luck »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »

Nope. Catholics mostly fought on the side of the North. And many use a comment from Wilson published in his book to point to his unhappiness with the Federal Reserve Act, but the book was published prior to his signing of the Federal Reserve Act.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:01:02 pm »

And many use a comment from Wilson published in his book to point to his unhappiness with the Federal Reserve Act, but the book was published prior to his signing of the Federal Reserve Act.
* That's strange. I take it the quote is misapplied. Right? He must have been referring to some other of his actions that he deplored. Was it his showing the KKK movie, Birth of a Nation in the White House?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:27 am »

No the quote was specific to bankers being in control... I doubt he believed that bankers were all KKK members.
Pages: [1]   Go Up