Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?  (Read 27357 times)

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 01:05:13 am »

No reason ya can't make your own badge. Oh wait this guy don' t like badges!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

FrugalFannie

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:34 am »

Thanks, all.  I'll do my best to be there Thursday evening at 8.  Sounds like fun. 

An organizer I'm not, Dreepa, but I can be a mean follower for the right organizing mind full of good ideas.

Being shy (yes I am until I know you) and not knowing people is one of the reasons I volunteered to help last year. It forced me to meet people.

Rich T.

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free in NH!
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »

I'd like to go to my first LF, I really would, but I'm very hesitant because of the experiences I had at PF.  To be fair, I did not camp at PF and only went over for a few day trips, but I'd be doing the same thing at LF. 
I've heard all the "meet people on the boards first" and "just go up and introduce yourself" stuff.  That doesn't really work. 

I don't know if the organizers have set up a "new buddy" system, but I can relate to your experience at PorcFest and I've been to all of them.

At Liberty Forum, the best time to meet new people and have a conversation to discover shared interest is at lunch. Sit with people you don't know and ask "so, where are you from?" or "what brought you to liberty?" or even "what was your favorite session so far?" People will start chatting. Most of the time you'll be at a mixed table of locals and visitors, so there's enough variety to keep the conversation going.

Dinner tends to be a bit more cliquish but maybe not so much this year with the VIP seating. Similar idea though. And if you bought a VIP ticket, then you will likely be sitting with people who have something in common with you via the speaker.

Other tips:
  • If someone asked a really good question or brought up a good point during a Q&A session, seek them out and ask for more info. Libertarians generally like to let everyone know how brilliant their ideas are.
  • The exhibitors want to talk to you, so go ask questions. Most will be locals and can recommend local resources or even people to talk to about a particular topic.
  • If you play a hand-held instrument, bring it. People will hang with musicians, or other musicians will ask you to join a session.
  • Come to the welcome reception on Thursday night. It's relaxed, you can probably talk to some of the speakers and organizers. There's a bar.
  • If you want attention, wear a really funny or provocative (but not tasteless) shirt or hat.
  • If you have something worthwhile to say to the world, see if you can get on FTL or Flaming Freedom or the other radio shows broadcasting from the event.
  • The Alt Expo has a hospitality suite most nights. Generally a wide variety of conversation and perspective there.

FrugalFannie

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:23 am »

I just saw this from last year's LF. The way I got to know people at my first LF (2012) was I volunteered my time. I had things I volunteered to do every day. This meant I had to get to know at least the person in charge of the volunteers! But I volunteered to do the bag stuffing so I met a whole bunch of LF regulars and organizers. Then I met a couple of great ladies as we heckled the 'comedian' on 'opening night.' LOL

I actually ran into someone I went to college with! And I made a connection with someone I had 'met' through another forum. And I met a lot of people over meals and drinks. I actually met one guy who I thought was a jerk and he's now one of my favorites! LOL I don't know if I ever told him that!

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:24 am »

It’s not as easy to be shy or an introvert in the FSP as some may have you believe. I’ve been to Porcfest 4 times, and I hardly know anyone in the movement haha. If I walk up to random people and introduce myself, I usually get a friendly hello and maybe a comment or question before the person suddenly has to leave. Understandable, people have their friends they want to hang with. Maybe I smell ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

anything