Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?  (Read 27576 times)

Larry Sagittarius

Re: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »

I just thought of an idea.

We know what a speed-dating is like.
You have men and women pair up and sit at a table together.
They talk for 5 to 10 minutes and then when a bell rings the men get up and go to the next table to talk to a new women.
They talk about jobs or such.
Each person has a number and to create an anomious(sp) ID.
You give the number to a moderator and if a pair each has a number to other then the mod gives phone numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_dating

Maybe there could be some similar thing here.
Instead of men or women you have new and previous visiters of PF.
A ID and phone number isn't needed but it is similar.
I think this is a really great idea.  It would take participation of some of the people who already 'know everyone', but it would be cool.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »

I just thought of an idea.

We know what a speed-dating is like.
You have men and women pair up and sit at a table together.
They talk for 5 to 10 minutes and then when a bell rings the men get up and go to the next table to talk to a new women.
They talk about jobs or such.
Each person has a number and to create an anomious(sp) ID.
You give the number to a moderator and if a pair each has a number to other then the mod gives phone numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_dating

Maybe there could be some similar thing here.
Instead of men or women you have new and previous visiters of PF.
A ID and phone number isn't needed but it is similar.
I think this is a really great idea.  It would take participation of some of the people who already 'know everyone', but it would be cool.

done... I am going to make some sort of this thing happen....

That means people need to show up on Time on Thursday night.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:39:04 am »

OH they will be on "time"

PKT=Pat K time

DDT=Dale Drama time

SGLGHT=Sandy Got Lost Getting here time.

RPFGT=Ron Paul Freaking Giant time.

ETC, ETC,.....

Should correspond to a 30 min time zone thing.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

jrandall

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:57 am »

I'm an FSPer from 2007 and I can really identify with Larry's original post, had kind of the same experience.  I went to LF in 2008 and enjoyed it quite a bit.  The speakers were very interesting and I felt like I was among kindered spirits.  But, being a very quiet and introverted type person, I didn't really meet or have much personal/ social interaction with anyone I encountered.  Everyone seemed plenty friendly and approachable enough, but I'm just not the kind of person who's going to walk up to a stranger and introduce myself.  My personality type is 90% of the cause for that, but it is what it is, and I'd guess those traits aren't too uncommon.  So, like Larry, I also think some sort of ice breaking activity could be very helpful.  I'm going to give the LF another shot this year, and this time around I'm going to try to be more gregarious and outgoing, and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.  :)

jrandall

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

For what it's worth...  I was planning to arrive Friday morning.  From my point of view a Thursday night event is kind of cost prohibitive because it would require another vacation day from work and an extra night at the hotel.  So personally I'm not sure I'd be willing/ able to take advantage of that opportunity if it was offered.  I certainly don't expect anyone to jump through flaming hoops in order to compensate for my particular personality.  Just trying to provide some useful feedback, whatever that's worth.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:28:47 pm »

Wife and I are recent mover locals (but staying in the hotel as neither of us have any intention of being sober enough to drive home on Friday/Saturday) and will be going out for all the meals and anyone who would like to come out with us is more than welcome, there are some really nice places to eat downtown (such as this, this and this and some awesome breakfast food at Jackie's Diner on Main St.).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:05:39 pm by greap »

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »

I'm the type who's not afraid to just walk up to a total stranger and introduce myself and try to make them feel welcome. I just need an excuse so it doesn't seem too weird. It can feel unclear whether it's welcome. Like, I used to be the membership director of Log Cabin Republicans and it was essentially my job to chat up any new people at a meeting and introduce myself as such. Say, "I'm the membership director and here's what we're all about... blah blah blah."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »

For what it's worth...  I was planning to arrive Friday morning.  From my point of view a Thursday night event is kind of cost prohibitive because it would require another vacation day from work and an extra night at the hotel.  So personally I'm not sure I'd be willing/ able to take advantage of that opportunity if it was offered.  I certainly don't expect anyone to jump through flaming hoops in order to compensate for my particular personality.  Just trying to provide some useful feedback, whatever that's worth.
thanks for the input.

I will make sure that we do something on Friday as well...

and remember.. please introduce yourself to at least me.... (and Dale from his post)
I am not shy at all.. I can/will introduce you to everyone there or at least the ones you want to meet.... (even if I don't know them I will introduce myself first)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »

I'm the type who's not afraid to just walk up to a total stranger and introduce myself and try to make them feel welcome. I just need an excuse so it doesn't seem too weird. It can feel unclear whether it's welcome. Like, I used to be the membership director of Log Cabin Republicans and it was essentially my job to chat up any new people at a meeting and introduce myself as such. Say, "I'm the membership director and here's what we're all about... blah blah blah."

Dale was a Republican?
Somehow that strikes me as really funny.

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »

I don't know if this will help, but you could always try talking to the vendors that will be there. Quite often you can get a decent conversation going that will draw in nearby people, making the introduction process a bit easier.

BTW, I'll be spending a lot of time at the DelValley Silver booth.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »

We are having a Nashua Liberty Social on the Saturday (25th) in downtown Nashua starting at 4:30. Everyone is welcome so if you would like to meet some locals in a less formal setting feel free to come along.

Event details available on FB - http://www.facebook.com/events/381994185149751/

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »

Wife and I are recent mover locals (but staying in the hotel as neither of us have any intention of being sober enough to drive home on Friday/Saturday) and will be going out for all the meals and anyone who would like to come out with us is more than welcome, there are some really nice places to eat downtown (such as this, this and this and some awesome breakfast food at Jackie's Diner on Main St.).

Liam, maybe you should identify a meeting place (the lobby round bench), a time and have a sign saying "Dinner Excursion to Downtown", for example, so anyone wanting to join you could meet up, carpool, or follow you to that evening's dinner spot.

gleongelpi

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:06 am »

Suggestion: At any festival, someone set-up a spot, with a sign that reads: "Newcomers without local contacts welcomed here." Place about ten chairs in a circle, with some small tables in between, and invite all to join in a "get to know each other".

snave

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 08:20:44 pm »

I am in the same boat. I will be moving to NH just in time for the LF. I really won't know anyone but want to meet as many folks as possible. I will be arriving with no job, no place to live and just the clothes on my back so networking with people that weekend is would be a great help.

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:46 pm »

Newcomers - First Timers - new movers should get a huge badge, like 6" diameter and bright orange or something, so people will see that and come up to them and hug them!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything