Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?  (Read 27342 times)

Larry Sagittarius

Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »

Hi. I haven't been logged in for quite a while, but I want to start with a thanks for all the hard work people are doing.

There are a couple of questions about this year's LF that I'd love to get answers to, but let's go with the big one.  A little background: I've sorta been to two Porcfests, but, frankly, neither was the greatest experience for a person who doesn't know anyone already in the movement.  I basically walked around with beers (and my Girlfriend one year) while watching other people have good times, starting the occasional conversation with other solitary souls who also wished there were some logical or organized way to meet people.

I'd like to go to my first LF, I really would, but I'm very hesitant because of the experiences I had at PF.  To be fair, I did not camp at PF and only went over for a few day trips, but I'd be doing the same thing at LF. 

I've heard all the "meet people on the boards first" and "just go up and introduce yourself" stuff.  That doesn't really work. 

Are there some arrangements to allow people new to the area to meet one another and those people already in NH?  If not, I'd be willing to help someone put something together.  I think it should be recurring since some people come to these events for single days, and that seems to be encouraged by organizers. 

thanks

1212jtraceur

Re: Ice breaker at Liberty Forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:00:52 am »

I can't really say too much about LF, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry the "just go up and introduce yourself" didn't work out. I sometimes have a hard time meeting people too, so I'm seriously considering wearing a shirt that says something along the lines of "if we haven't met, talk to me!", just to help keep the atmosphere open for people like me.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »

A specific event is a great idea.

Porc Fest and Liberty Forum have been going on for a number of years now, and for many it is a chance to see old friends.  Designating an event where it is incumbent on any veteran to focus on talking to new people could have a great impact. 

How about something like this?   Have a social hour where anyone who has attended a previous Porc Fest or Liberty Forum wears an old shirt from one of those events.    For that hour, anyone with an old shirt cannot talk to anyone else wearing such a shirt.  Probably too complicated, but just something that would break up the "cliques" for a short while.

Those who are already "insiders" are happy to meet and talk with the new people, but might sometimes need a nudge to get them to do it.

Larry Sagittarius

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:53:16 pm »

A specific event is a great idea.

Porc Fest and Liberty Forum have been going on for a number of years now, and for many it is a chance to see old friends.  Designating an event where it is incumbent on any veteran to focus on talking to new people could have a great impact. 

How about something like this?   Have a social hour where anyone who has attended a previous Porc Fest or Liberty Forum wears an old shirt from one of those events.    For that hour, anyone with an old shirt cannot talk to anyone else wearing such a shirt.  Probably too complicated, but just something that would break up the "cliques" for a short while.

Those who are already "insiders" are happy to meet and talk with the new people, but might sometimes need a nudge to get them to do it.
Some sort of organized set up like a 'social hour' sounds like a great idea because I know that these are great people who are anxious to bring people into the movement. To concentrate that good will and let it loose seems like a smart thing to do. To me, anyway.

I don't have a bit of problem introducing myself and talking to new people, really really.  I do it all the time as part of my job.  But even so, I found it a difficult to get farther than a superficial conversation at PF.  To be fair, PF might be a little strange because of the dynamics of people camping out/drinking/hanging with their friends all day for a full week.  That said, I met a few people who were camping there and thought the things I did.

I really am willing to help someone do something here.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:06:34 pm »

Flaming Freedom is planning some jacuzzi PG-13 cuddle-fests but the times haven't been worked out yet.

Larry Sagittarius

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:13:39 pm »

Flaming Freedom is planning some jacuzzi PG-13 cuddle-fests but the times haven't been worked out yet.
Actually, Dale, you're one of the people I introduced myself to just briefly at this last PF, and, while I'm not gay, I'll be happy to cuddle at your fest. :)

What away to break ice, I assume. Never been to one.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »

I'm not sure how serious I am yet. Working that out.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:05:10 am »

Mark on list=Larry needs a Beer.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

ny2nh

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:17:59 pm »

Thursday night is the meet & greet type of thing....and a great time to meet new people.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:26 am »

Thursday night was 'invented' for meet and greet.

We have minimal speakers (about 5 speakers for 2 minutes each).. then mingle for a few hours.

I am certainly willing to introduce you to people... find me... I am hard to miss.

I try and meet every attendee that comes to the LF...

If you have specific ideas on how to make it better... I am all ears... send an email to libertyforum@freestateproject.org.

thanks!

Larry Sagittarius

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 03:34:31 pm »

Thanks, all.  I'll do my best to be there Thursday evening at 8.  Sounds like fun. 

An organizer I'm not, Dreepa, but I can be a mean follower for the right organizing mind full of good ideas.

ny2nh

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:33 pm »

I am certainly willing to introduce you to people... find me... I am hard to miss.

You can't miss him....he's a giant. :D

Larry Sagittarius

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:52:12 pm »

You can't miss him....he's a giant. :D
Word.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 02:56:07 pm »

I'm not sure how serious I am yet. Working that out.

Yeah, after some thought, prolly not very serious. Course that's no guarantee some mild cuddling won't happen spontaneously. I still wanna have a Jacuzzi party!

slothman

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 04:59:59 pm »

I just thought of an idea.

We know what a speed-dating is like.
You have men and women pair up and sit at a table together.
They talk for 5 to 10 minutes and then when a bell rings the men get up and go to the next table to talk to a new women.
They talk about jobs or such.
Each person has a number and to create an anomious(sp) ID.
You give the number to a moderator and if a pair each has a number to other then the mod gives phone numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_dating

Maybe there could be some similar thing here.
Instead of men or women you have new and previous visiters of PF.
A ID and phone number isn't needed but it is similar.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything