Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH  (Read 59092 times)

freedomroad

Re: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »

Dollar General opened in Whitefield this past winter, and is under construction in Groveton. They bracket the Family Dollar in Lancaster and Ocean State Job Lot in Northumberland.

From my experience, I've found that the Dollar Tree is way lower in prices that Dollar General. It depends on the sales, but generally, Ocean State tends to be less expensive than Dollar General, too.

freedomroad

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

Just as Trader Joe's 1st put 1 store in NH than expanded to 2 stores, ALDI is trying to expand to a 2nd store in NH. And Dollar Tree is trying to open up right next to ALDI. They will both by in a building in Plaistow that used to be occupied by Shaw's, a much more expensive grocery store. This is fantastic news for anyone within 30 minutes of Plaistow. The town already has a Walmart Supercenter and Market Basket. With Kohl's, T.J. Max, the liquor store and all of this in the same area, not to mention the pharmacies, it might soon become an inexpensive shopping meca of the southeastern NH/Northern MA area.

July 19, 2013
Changes planned for old Shaw's plaza in Plaistow
By Alex Lippa
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x2040128816/Changes-planned-for-old-Shaws-plaza-in-Plaistow

The shopping center has struggled since Shaw’s moved out of the plaza in 2007, but new tenants could soon fill the void. Shaw’s moved to a new location across Route 125.

Vydra announced at the meeting that they are close to an agreement with Aldi’s Supermarket to fill 18,000 square feet of the 48,000-square-foot space Shaw’s occupied.

He said he expected Aldi to move into the space within six to 10 months.

Vydra also said a significant business was close to an agreement to move in to the remainder of the former Shaw’s building, but could not release the name. Town Planner Leigh Komornick said in April that HomeGoods was interested in the location.

In addition to those two businesses, Dollar Tree will move from the north end of the plaza to a new 12,000-square-foot building, which will share a wall with Aldi.

freedomroad

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:26 pm »

ALDI, perhaps the small store chain with the lowest prices (better than Dollar Tree, Save-O-Lot or Fred's on most items in my experience) is opening additional stores in the area. It has several locations in MA, a Salem, NH store and a Bennington, VT store. A new store is about to open in Brattleboro, VT, 20-25 minutes from Keene, NH. The company is also looking at opening a store in Keene, NH. The company is trying to aggressively expand into new markets in order to keep costs down. This is the same company that owes Trader Joe's, which recently opened 2 stores in NH. If the Brattleboro store is successful, I think the company will expand more into NH and possibly, northern VT.

freedomroad

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:00 pm »

ALDI, perhaps the small store chain with the lowest prices (better than Dollar Tree, Save-O-Lot or Fred's on most items in my experience) is opening additional stores in the area. It has several locations in MA, a Salem, NH store and a Bennington, VT store. A new store is about to open in Brattleboro, VT, 20-25 minutes from Keene, NH.

Update on the possible Keene ALDI location.

Aldi gets green light from planning board to move forward
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:00 pm
By Kyle Jarvis Sentinel Staff
http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/aldi-gets-green-light-from-planning-board-to-move-forward/article_16d2f3a2-2afe-50fb-89b7-0bb3b6414ac9.html

A discount grocer got the go-ahead from Keene’s planning board Monday night to move forward with a plan to open a new store on West Street.

Aldi, a German-owned wholesale grocer with more than 1,000 stores in the U.S., now just needs a building permit from the planning board before it can finalize its plan for the store.

Aldi would occupy about 33,791 square feet of vacant space next to Kohl’s, which opened in September.

The planning board put some minor conditions in place Monday, Hitchcock said.

The size of a rooftop refrigeration unit will have to be reviewed by city planning staff, and there are some landscaping details yet to be worked out, he said.

Heyman also agreed to remove a pile of debris on the south side of the nearby rail trail, Hitchcock said.

“Nobody seems to know exactly where it came from,” he said.

Hitchcock said Aldi does not yet have a timeline for starting construction, but that should become clearer once a building permit is in place.

tortuga

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »

Oooh theres a Trader Joes in Nashua??? I wished at I worked at the one my friend works at cause then I could probably transfer easily.
Move Date: May 2014! (tentative)

freedomroad

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 02:08:52 pm »

Oooh theres a Trader Joes in Nashua??? I wished at I worked at the one my friend works at cause then I could probably transfer easily.

Yeah. There are 2 in NH and some in MA within commuting distance. It's a decent job. There's also Costco in Nashua. So you might want to consider trying to get a job at 1 of those places then transferring. Though, there are plenty of jobs here. The economy while still not good, it a lot better here than much of the nation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:39:40 am by 1DayAtATime »

freedomroad

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:24 am »

More great news. Another Ocean State Job Lot opened in Derry last year. It opened up in the old Derry Wal-mart building. There is still some unused space in the building. Aldi is thinking of also moving into the same building. That would be terrific news for discount shoppers!

June 13, 2014
Aldi, MonkeySports eye Derry
Stores would share Ocean State Job Lot building
By JULIE HUSS jhuss@eagletribune.com
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x1927794199/Aldi-MonkeySports-eye-Derry

DERRY — Shoppers looking for another grocery store option may get their wish as plans are underway to bring an Aldi store to Manchester Road.

The Planning Board will hear more details on the European market plan at a meeting Wednesday.

Aldi and a MonkeySports store would move into the former Wal-Mart location at 30 Manchester Road. Ocean State Job Lot now occupies part of that building.

Planning Director George Sioras said the proposed business plan is good for Derry.

“This was a pleasant surprise,” he said. “This is good.”

There are few MonkeySports stores, Sioras said, only five in the world, including one in Norwood, Mass. The new sports superstore would offer a variety of specialized sporting goods, he said.

Aldi offers a different kind of food shopping, including a shopping cart payment system where customers pay 25 cents for a cart, then get the quarter returned when shopping is complete.

Customers must bring their own bags or purchase reusable ones at the store.

Aldi stores have been in the United States since 1976 with more than 1,100 stores in 31 states. The closest store to Derry is in Salem; another one is under construction on Route 125 in Plaistow.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up