Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH  (Read 58797 times)

freedomroad

Re: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »

Market Basket is applying to open a store in Conway, NH.  Also, the Walmart in Conway is trying to become a Walmart Supercenter.

Market Basket coming to North Conway?
Written by Erik Eisele
http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index.php/newsx/local-news/90647-basket-060812

CONWAY — In addition to the Walmart expansion plans that came in this week, town officials on Tuesday said a new grocery store may also be coming to town.
Town manager Earl Sires told selectmen this week the town is waiting for a site plan review application from Market Basket, a Massachusetts-based chain that operates more than 50 grocery stores in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Sires said he is expecting to receive within the next few days an application to put a Market Basket behind the Northway Plaza that houses T.J. Maxx.

...but if both it and the Walmart expansion happen, there could be four supermarkets within a five-minute drive of each other.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 08:04:34 am »

According to the peeps in Trader Joes, the Nashua store will open on July 16th

rank420

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

One more reason why I will be growing my own fruits and veggies.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:41 pm »

I feel really spoiled to have a Market Basket so close by. I'm loving it.

Jusmik

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:53 am »

I love all these markets, you can find real gems and great quality food there. I'm always stunned.
ALDI is great. I see it often in foreign countries, and it seems to be very successful! btw. in case anyone can help me, I got a hamper delivered to scotland by serenata and now I'm looking for similar services like that for other countries. Anyone can help out?

freedomroad

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 11:04:13 am »

NH’s first Trader Joe’s supermarket opens in Nashua
July 16. 2012 7:20PM
By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120717/NEWS02/707179977

NASHUA — New Hampshire’s first Trader Joe’s grocery store opened its doors on Monday with a steady stream of customers and some Hawaiian flair.

Filled with good values and distinct products, Trader Joe’s carries an array of domestic and imported foods and beverages including fresh baked artisan breads, Arabica bean coffees, international frozen entrees, 100 percent fruit juices, fresh crop nuts, deli items, vitamins and the basics. More than 2,000 items under the Trader Joe’s private label are available, including salsas, fried rice and marinara sauces.

About a dozen new items will be introduced each week, according to a release, adding thousands of items are tasted each year to find products that appeal to the culinary adventurer and the microwave aficionado.

For Luisa Matta of Bedford, she simply came for the wine. Matta had selected eight bottles of Trader Joe’s wine, and said she still wasn’t finished shopping.

Here is one of the article comments, "Good for you NH! Our first Trader Joe's is currently being built down here in Sarasota...and we can't wait for it to open! Trader Joe's, sort of like Whole Foods, but without the snobbery and high prices! Hurray for Nashua!"
July 17, 2012 10:15 am

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 06:24:52 pm »

NH’s first Trader Joe’s supermarket opens in Nashua
July 16. 2012 7:20PM
By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120717/NEWS02/707179977

NASHUA — New Hampshire’s first Trader Joe’s grocery store opened its doors on Monday with a steady stream of customers and some Hawaiian flair.

Filled with good values and distinct products, Trader Joe’s carries an array of domestic and imported foods and beverages including fresh baked artisan breads, Arabica bean coffees, international frozen entrees, 100 percent fruit juices, fresh crop nuts, deli items, vitamins and the basics. More than 2,000 items under the Trader Joe’s private label are available, including salsas, fried rice and marinara sauces.

About a dozen new items will be introduced each week, according to a release, adding thousands of items are tasted each year to find products that appeal to the culinary adventurer and the microwave aficionado.

For Luisa Matta of Bedford, she simply came for the wine. Matta had selected eight bottles of Trader Joe’s wine, and said she still wasn’t finished shopping.

Here is one of the article comments, "Good for you NH! Our first Trader Joe's is currently being built down here in Sarasota...and we can't wait for it to open! Trader Joe's, sort of like Whole Foods, but without the snobbery and high prices! Hurray for Nashua!"
July 17, 2012 10:15 am

Gotta be honest, since the cross-country spread under Aldi ownership, it ain't like it was when it was just southern California.  The flyers would mention a buy of a batch of wine from some estate in France and say how many bottles there were between all of the stores (something like 20 when I first became a customer in 1981).  Still good stuff, good prices, but not as personal.  Among the few good things to come out of southern California in recent decades though.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 08:01:49 am »

Their customer service is still quite good.  If you don't like something, they will take it back, but beyond that, I was once wondering how a product tasted and an employee opened the package and gave me a sample.

mlkrgr

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:34 am »

My experience with Market Basket is that they have found many creative ways to repackage high fructose corn syrup into the appearance of various foods.

You mean differently or more creatively than any other grocery stores? What products are they selling that fit this that most grocery stores aren't?

I try not to base my standards on the median, but rather on the ideal. Yes, most grocery stores sell crap. Market Basket seems to sell mostly crap. I find a slightly better selection at Hannaford. But really none of these are in the same class as the grocery stores I mentioned above or a European village market.

Just because we're force-fed the products of Big Agra doesn't mean we have to celebrate it.

Perhaps if more of us chose to live in walkable towns, we could save enough on car payments, car repair, gas, and taxes to afford higher quality food...

+1 on this. Market Basket likes to feature their lower quality store brand names that are full of processed ingredients, and this is generally what is available in their smaller stores. They get their competitive advantage by pricing these names lower as they traditionally drive a larger profit margin. I generally shop at the mid end and like to go for the high end as far as what is available on a conventional supermarket's deli counter. A lot of MBs miss a lot of better for you natural foods including natural turkey at the deli (I don't think they carry natural turkey for thanksgiving which I prefer paying up for) and natural frozen yogurt (well, MB has organic frozen yogurt at $2.69/pint but there's much less costly natural frozen yogurt at Hannaford at $3.69/56 oz container). Along with it, MB features their baked goods front and center (much of the time at the front door) which is no good either.

freedomroad

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 01:34:06 am »

You can like Market Basket on Facebook and then check out the deals online to see if it worth going to the store. You can always go to the fan page and see the circular, also.

https://www.facebook.com/mydemoulas
https://twitter.com/mydemoulas
http://www.mydemoulas.net/locations/new-hampshire/

freedomroad

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »

This story is such a fantastic read. I cannot recommend it enough. It mentions several recent Dollar General openings I didn't know about. Mentions that new food co-ops are coming to Manchester and the Monadnock Region. It also says the Whole Foods people are talking about coming to Nashua is confirmed. Oh, and there is a rumor of a Market Basket opening in Conway.

Competition grows as grocery chains, new entries battle for N.H.'s food dollars
By Kathleen Callahan
Friday, December 14, 2012
http://www.nhbr.com/news/986980-395/competition-grows-as-grocery-chains-new-entries.html

Doug Linder

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »

I think that what Southern NH needs is more high-end specialty stores.  There are plenty of al-marts and warehouse stores and so on, but practically nothing on the upper end.  In fact I think there's a huge opportunity for a food co-op in Derry (see my post about that here: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=26237.0).  Yes, there is a new Trader Joe's in Nashua and some other places, but Derry - the third most populous town in the state - is in some kind of dead zone for high end stores.

One good place, Tuscan Kitchen, did open in Salem recently.  It's not that big and concentrates only on Italian stiff, but if you want artisanal food it's pretty good.  The bread is to die form - best I've had outside of Europe.  And the restaurant it's associated with, Tuscan Kitchen next door, is fabulous.  http://www.tuscan-kitchen.com/ 

What I wouldn't give to have a Lebanon co-op food store type place in Derry.  Whoever did it would make a fortune, and I'd love to see that be a cooperative group of people so the fortune goes to the workers and not faceless investors.
"He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."  - Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

freedomroad

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

March 05. 2013 11:18PM
Ocean State Job Lot to open in Derry next week
By ADAM SWIFT
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130306/NEWS02/130309503

DERRY - Ocean State Job Lot will be opening at the site of the former Walmart on Manchester Road on Thursday, March 14.

CNHT

• Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom!
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:40 am »

New Market Basket is a joy at the corner of New Boston Road and 114 in Bedford at the Manchester border, formerly the location of an old bar Slammers and mini golf operation.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:25 pm »

Dollar General opened in Whitefield this past winter, and is under construction in Groveton. They bracket the Family Dollar in Lancaster and Ocean State Job Lot in Northumberland.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up