Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH  (Read 58795 times)

Domestic Patriot

Re: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:33 pm »

There have been two Market Baskets in Salem for years it's not new here. One just was expanded, as many of the stores are being expanded, the one in Haverhill (MA) for example. The expanded stores have alot more choices, including alot more ethnic food and a cafe. No, I dont work for market basket but they've got the least expensive prices around and I'd rather shop there than wal*mart. There also used to be two in Plaistow area but now there's only one. I've never worked there but have family who have and they enjoy/ed working there for what its worth. :)

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »

"have family who have and they enjoy/ed working there for what its worth."

That's worth something.

freedomroad

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:01 pm »

There have been two Market Baskets in Salem for years it's not new here. One just was expanded, as many of the stores are being expanded, the one in Haverhill (MA) for example. The expanded stores have alot more choices, including alot more ethnic food and a cafe. No, I dont work for market basket but they've got the least expensive prices around and I'd rather shop there than wal*mart. There also used to be two in Plaistow area but now there's only one. I've never worked there but have family who have and they enjoy/ed working there for what its worth. :)

I just shopped at Market Basket.  The store had two prices listed for the price of the beer I bought.  I told them about it after noticing that the beer rung up at the higher price.  I said something like, "you may want to clear that up as you have two prices listed."  I was fully willing to pay the higher price.  I just didn't want anyone else caught in the confusion.  They insisted on sending someone to the isle to investigate the issue right then.  When the person came back from the isle, I was actually charged $2 less than even the lower price.  It was an unexpected and very positive experience.  Of course, Market Basket is a local company.  It isn't a big international grocer like Wal-Mart, ALDI/Trader Joe's or Costco.  I've even had some good experiences with those companies, though :)

TJames

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

You NHers have Associated Buyers. Who could ask for anything more?

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:45 pm »

Confusing.  There seem to be several unrelated operations/chains using the name Market Basket.  One in New England, one in Texas and one here in New Jersey.  I recall supermarkets using the name from my childhood in southern California -- it stands out in my memory, because at the time I was in junior high a pack of Lifesavers there was $.04 rather than the nickel charged everywhere else.  (This also gives you a clue how long ago my childhood was).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

freedomroad

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 01:35:36 pm »

It is happening!

Grocer ALDI set to open first NH store
By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff
02/17/2012 1:21 PM
http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2012/02/grocer-aldi-set-open-first-store/vQh15lDEorr1Os9bbuJjrJ/index.html

ALDI, an Illinois-based discount chain, said it plans to open its first store in New Hampshire next month.

The store is located in Salem, N.H., at 541 South Broadway, and a grand opening is scheduled for March 1.

According to ALDI, the chain has roughly 1,200 stores in 32 states, including six in Massachusetts.

One ALDI claim is that its store brands can save customers 50 percent or more on many commonly purchased grocery items.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 08:23:22 am »

Saw that when I was going to the Lowes in Salem the other day.

There is an interesting phenomenon along the Massachusetts border in New Hampshire.  In Nashua the Pheasant Lane mall is located in NH, while most of its parking lot is in Massachusetts.  The state line also intersects the Lowes parking lot in Salem.  If you happen to visit the Pheasant Lane mall, take a look at JC Penny.  There is literally a corner cut out of it, and that's where the state line is.

TJames

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »

There is an interesting phenomenon along the Massachusetts border in New Hampshire.  In Nashua the Pheasant Lane mall is located in NH, while most of its parking lot is in Massachusetts.  The state line also intersects the Lowes parking lot in Salem.  If you happen to visit the Pheasant Lane mall, take a look at JC Penny.  There is literally a corner cut out of it, and that's where the state line is.

I wanted to get what you are talking about and I found this http://granitegrok.com/blog/2011/12/bay-state-transplants-support-the-sign-warning-bill-while-mass-holes-oppose-it

The Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts has been lecturing Maine on our gun laws, I never thought of what it would be like to be in the Free State sharing a border with it. Demilitarized zone.

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

It is happening!

Grocer ALDI set to open first NH store
By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff
02/17/2012 1:21 PM
http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2012/02/grocer-aldi-set-open-first-store/vQh15lDEorr1Os9bbuJjrJ/index.html

ALDI, an Illinois-based discount chain, said it plans to open its first store in New Hampshire next month.

The store is located in Salem, N.H., at 541 South Broadway, and a grand opening is scheduled for March 1.

According to ALDI, the chain has roughly 1,200 stores in 32 states, including six in Massachusetts.

One ALDI claim is that its store brands can save customers 50 percent or more on many commonly purchased grocery items.

I have experience with Aldi in NC and Aldi in Germany.

The Aldi in NC was good for canned goods and frozen foods, the prices were definitely way lower than any discount grocer I had visited before. Once you get used to bringing or buying bags and renting carts for a quarter =) Americans seem to be weirded out by this. They put the groceries right into your cart at the checkout and then you push it over to a table and bag em yourself. They had a decent selection of lower end German foods/beer, organic closeouts, every once in a while they would have laptops, camping gear, house plants, clothes, gardening equipment, kitchenware and digital cameras for sale at closeout costs too.

The Aldi's I went to in Germany were really good for fresh produce and breads, much better than the produce and bread found at Aldi's I visited in NC.
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com

Maq

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »

The Aldi in NC was good for canned goods and frozen foods, the prices were definitely way lower than any discount grocer I had visited before. Once you get used to bringing or buying bags and renting carts for a quarter =) Americans seem to be weirded out by this. They put the groceries right into your cart at the checkout and then you push it over to a table and bag em yourself. They had a decent selection of lower end German foods/beer, organic closeouts, every once in a while they would have laptops, camping gear, house plants, clothes, gardening equipment, kitchenware and digital cameras for sale at closeout costs too.

The Aldi's I went to in Germany were really good for fresh produce and breads, much better than the produce and bread found at Aldi's I visited in NC.

I remember having the pay a zloty to get a cart in Poland.  I was weirded out at first.  I thought it was funny, my wife was surprised they don't do it in the states.

We have an Aldi here in Raleigh but I've never been.  I may go now that another one is opening up a bit closer.

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »

Seems like a zlot to ask =D

freedomroad

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 07:15:12 pm »

The new Market Basket in downtown Manchester (within a mile of 2 porcupine owned businesses and a bunch of porcupines) opens on Tuesday.  Market Basket was rated by Consumer Report readers as the #7 grocery store chain in the US ( http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view/20220408market_basket_gives_big_chains_food_for_thought .)  The Manchester location has a huge parking lot (making downtown parking much easier in Manchester) and is the 2nd largest Market Basket at 90,000 square feet and 21 isles.

Queen City Market Basket opens Tuesday
Published Apr 19, 2012 at 3:00 am (Updated Apr 18, 2012)
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120419/NEWS02/704199953

Mayor Ted Gatsas, who will be on hand for the 8 a.m. ribbon cutting Tuesday, predicted the store will cause a renaissance in the south end of Elm Street. And the editor of a Massachusetts-based magazine that monitors the grocery business predicted lower prices in grocery stores throughout the city.

At some point, a Market Basket is expected in Bedford, NH.

Blither

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:48 am »

Yeah, the story gets a bit wacky. Originally, the restaurants were all going to be on the Massachusetts side. The government of Mass amazingly declared that all customers, in all stores, would have to pay sales tax to Massachusetts.
Furious and defiant (and unwillingly to go through years of costly litigation), the developers rightly snubbed Massachusetts altogether and the mall was redesigned so that ALL stores and restaurants were on the New Hampshire side of the border. Contrary to popular belief however, less than a third of the parking lot is actually in Massachusetts.
However, the site lines had been drawn up incorrectly, placing one corner of the JCPenney building in Massachusetts. Consequently, the corner of JCPenney was cut off and re-bricked into its current pentagonal shape.
This is funny; according to the government of Mass, all customers who live in Massachusetts and go to a store in NH then bring the goods back to Mass are supposed to pay a 5% tax to Massachusetts. Good luck enforcing that one.

freedomroad

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »

This is funny; according to the government of Mass, all customers who live in Massachusetts and go to a store in NH then bring the goods back to Mass are supposed to pay a 5% tax to Massachusetts. Good luck enforcing that one.

Thanks for the details :)  That last part (the part I quoted) is true for many (almost all states?)

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 04:05:46 pm »

by the way, the market basket in manchester opened and it is GLORIOUS!
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up