Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH  (Read 58796 times)

freedomroad

New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Are Opening All Over NH
http://www.freestateblogs.net/node/13048

I remember years ago, some people were concerned about New Hampshire not having the stores they want.  Well, things are changing.  It is true, pay in NH is noticeably higher than the national average.  However, food is not more expensive than average in NH.  Over the last couple years, more and more low priced food stores have opened in NH.  Even more stores are scheduled to open.  Aldi and Dollar General are looking at sites to open even more stores.

Five years ago New Hampshire didn't have a lot of inexpensive grocery stores. The least expensive common chain in NH was Hannafords, a chain not known for being inexpensive. There were some Market Baskets, a store with prices comparable to Wal-Mart, but they were mostly near border communities. NH didn't have a lot of dollar stores, either. A lot has changed.

Market Basket is aggressively expanding in NH. New stores recently opened in Swanzey, Salem, Londonderry, Epping and Hooksett. New stores in Manchester and Bedford are scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013.

The Dollar Tree in Keene relocated to a new location. The store doubled in size and started carrying both refrigerated and frozen food. The Wal-Mart in Hinsdale relocated to a much larger building, tuned into a Supercenter and even put a dollar store in the building. A new Dollar Tree opened in Rindge. Dollar General tried to open stores in Marlborough and Winchester but as I previous blogged about, local government boards voted to keep the stores out. The only Dollar General currently operating in NH is in Nashua. However, the company hasn't given up on expanding in NH.

Trader Joe's, a store that some people describe as a scaled down inexpensive version of Whole Foods, is relocating a Tyngsboro, Taxachusetts store to Nashua, NH in 2012.

Ocean State Job Lot is a discount store than has an extensive non-perishable food selection. The company opened two new stores in NH over the last couple years. It will open a store in Concord in 2012 for a total of eight stores in NH.

NH has lots of wholesale clubs, but the number of club locations has been constant for years. There is a Costco in Nashua. Spread around the state are four Sam's Club and six BJ's locations.

NH now has Shaws, Hannafords, Price Chopper and Market Basket grocery chains stores located throughout the state. There are also four the Stop & Shop stores located in western and northern NH.

The one grocery segment barely found in NH is the small store discount segment mostly controlled by Aldi and Save-A-Lot. Aldi has expanded in MA over the last couple years and now has five locations. The closest Aldi location is in Leominster, MA, seventeen miles from the NH border. Rumor has it that an Aldi will open in Salem, NH in 2012. MA has around ten Save-A-Lot locations but the only NH location is in Gorham.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:14:22 am by LoveAndPeace »

NHbound87

Re: New, Inexpensive Grocery Stores Open All Over NH
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:06 pm »

I heard food and stuff was supposed to be more expensive in NH than in the midwest but I haven't found that to be the case

doobie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:13:19 pm »

I heard food and stuff was supposed to be more expensive in NH than in the midwest but I haven't found that to be the case

Hell of a lot cheaper than Illinois.  I think when we visited my parents there everything was 10-15% higher...then we had to pay like 9% sales tax... CRAZY

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:32:33 am »

Aldi is definitely a great store. Just remember when you visit one you have to put a coin in the cart to unlock it from the other carts and you need to bring your own grocery bags or buy some when you get there  :)
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:23:59 pm »

Stopped by the Trader Joes in Tyngsboro, they say they should be moved by summer 2012, into the space next to Michaels in Webster Square on DW Highway, and in the way information is given in New England, where Bed Bath and Beyond used to be.

This is interesting in that when I talked to corporate in 2010 they said they had no interest in moving to New Hampshire.  Turns out their parking lot in that Tyngsboro store is too small, the square footage of that store is too low to carry their full inventory and I suppose they finally ran the numbers and figured out they're losing money by not moving across the border.  They also plan to open a store in Portsmouth.

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »

Great news for Seabook, NH.  One of the Market Baskets in Seabrook is expanding.  Also, other new stores are opening in Seabrook.

Seabrook plaza expansion to begin this spring
Project will add about 35,000 square feet to shopping center
January 23, 2012
By Angeljean Chiaramida
http://www.newburyportnews.com/local/x1456425461/Seabrook-plaza-expansion-to-begin-this-spring

SEABROOK — By summer, patrons of Seabrook's South Gate Plaza on Route 1 will find a larger shopping center with six or more new stores anchored by an expanded Market Basket that features a small cafe.

Construction is expected to begin this spring, with hopes of completion by summer.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:48:43 pm by LoveAndPeace »

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:16 am »

More jobs are a good thing.  This is the first time that many townsfolk have known high unemployment.  Construction is suffering everywhere, and aboot 10% of our townsfolk work in that field.

Still, there is seasonal and summer work here, and it's good to know that a few places are expanding and opening.  There's also a spot across from Richdale's that will be opening.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:56:56 pm »

On the opposite end of the spectrum, NH has some excellent independent & gourmet grocery stores like Philbrick's Fresh Market in Portsmouth and North Hampton and On The Vine in Exeter.

My experience with Market Basket is that they have found many creative ways to repackage high fructose corn syrup into the appearance of various foods.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »

My experience with Market Basket is that they have found many creative ways to repackage high fructose corn syrup into the appearance of various foods.

You mean differently or more creatively than any other grocery stores? What products are they selling that fit this that most grocery stores aren't?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

My experience with Market Basket is highly positive. Wide selection of products, NOT just HCFS crap. My local MB probably has 30 different brands of hummus, 4 different brands of stuffed grape leaves, 5 or 6 different brands of fresh guacamole... all at good prices. Find another store that can match that. They are price competitive with Walmart Supercenter, which, honestly (think of them what you wish) is the only other competitively priced place to buy groceries, although their selection is more limited. Shaw's is outrageously priced (yes, you can get deals if you play the sale/rewards card games, but that's the exception, not the rule), Hannaford isn't quite as bad but still quite expensive, same for Stop & Shop.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »

You mean differently or more creatively than any other grocery stores? What products are they selling that fit this that most grocery stores aren't?

I try not to base my standards on the median, but rather on the ideal. Yes, most grocery stores sell crap. Market Basket seems to sell mostly crap. I find a slightly better selection at Hannaford. But really none of these are in the same class as the grocery stores I mentioned above or a European village market.

Just because we're force-fed the products of Big Agra doesn't mean we have to celebrate it.

Perhaps if more of us chose to live in walkable towns, we could save enough on car payments, car repair, gas, and taxes to afford higher quality food...

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:52 pm »

I'm not trying to flame everybody. It just bothers me to hear people celebrating putting more cheap crap into their bodies. I think you all deserve better (though I would never force anyone to see things my way).

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

I am not celebrating what people put in their bodies :)  Buy stuff at the new Dollar Generals, the new Market Basket Baskets or the expected Trader Joe's, or somewhere else if you want.  I'm celebrating the increased competition of stores, the increased selection of goods and the additional jobs and money it will bring into the New Hampshire economy.  When it comes to eating food, you are probably correct.

freedomroad

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »

Rite Aid looking to build new drug store in Meredith
By Michael Kitch
Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/node/127042/18661

The Hannaford grocery store in Meredith is looking to expand :)

MEREDITH — While the Planning Board this week welcomed the architecture and landscaping of the Rite Aid Pharmacy proposed to be built on N.H. Route 25, the impact of the project on traffic along the heavily traveled road remain under review by the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (DOT).

Rite Aid operates from space next door to Hannaford supermarket at Meredith Bay Shops on the same roadway. In anticipation of the expansion of the supermarket into the space, Rite Aid plans to relocate to a 2.77-acre lot about a quarter of a mile away, just east of the junction with Meredith Bay Drive, between the Meredith Irving and Trinity Episcopal Church.

To house the 15,000-square-foot building the site would be graded and building envelope framed by retaining walls, one off  the southeast corner of the building and another on its western flank.

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:05 pm »

I am not celebrating what people put in their bodies :)  Buy stuff at the new Dollar Generals, the new Market Basket Baskets or the expected Trader Joe's, or somewhere else if you want.  I'm celebrating the increased competition of stores, the increased selection of goods and the additional jobs and money it will bring into the New Hampshire economy.  When it comes to eating food, you are probably correct.

Good point
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up