Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NH lawmakers want Mass. border warning signs  (Read 5887 times)

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
NH lawmakers want Mass. border warning signs
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:24:53 pm »

In a sense, the most dangerous line in New Hampshire is the one that separates it from its police state neighbor.  While demanding that no tax dollars be used, House Bill 1412 aims to warn motorists of the threat's location with signs that read "Warning: Massachusetts Border 500 Feet."  

Supporters of the bill say motorists are at risk of investigation, fines or arrest for many harmless acts or possessions...once they cross into the troubled province.  These include ammunition possession, fireworks possession and possession of NH merchandise for which MA sales tax is not paid:

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/07/29/swift-tax-dodgers  

The bill currently has six sponsors.  

Click here for more details and the full text of the bill:
http://www.borderwarning.com/

Ridley Report text bulletins like this one....are generally collected from New Hampshire's raw sources or "little press."  Few of them are repeats of the state's bigger media.  In that sense, nearly every RR bulletin is a "scoop."  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:31:16 pm by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Mordor Ahead
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »

Sounds funny.

But in all serious, it's kinda a big deal where having a firearm in your vehicle can go, in the states' perspectives, from being no big deal to being the END OF THE WORLD. Especially around Nashua it's fairly easy to cross into Mass.

'Course, marijuana works the opposite way...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:35:26 pm by B.D. Ross »

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: NH lawmakers want Mass. border warning signs
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:00 pm »

Excellent idea!
On my first visit to New Hampshire, while driving down the seacoast, I spotted a sign for Bob's Gunshop and stopped to check it out.   
The owner was just unlocking the door when I walked up and asked "what kind of paperwork is needed to buy a firearm here in New Hampshire?
He laughed and said "You're in Massachusetts by 500 yards.
Realizing the non-resident NH pistol license in my pocket was worthless here, I responded "Whoops!  Bye."

Please post the chipin here so I can donate to the project.

jcoffey

• First 1000
    • Jenn Coffey
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:10:21 pm »

if you or anyone you know has a story about accidentally ending up in mass because they traveled down a road not marked.  Please forward your stories to me and support the bill when it has a public hearing.  I would also like to know the road traveled.  If anyone has pictures of roadways that would be helpful as well.

The bill does sound "funny" and "cute" at first glance, I agree...I felt the same way at first.  Until I realized that in some cases it can be very serious life altering in fact.  Just imagine being pulled over for not having on your seat belt and not realizing you have crossed into Mass, while your trusty 1911 sits on the passenger seat next too you, and you don't have a mass pistol permit.  You have just become a felon.

contact me at:  jenn@jenncoffey.com
well I had to start over with a new login...LOL

tom ploszaj

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:39 pm »

My thoughts only.  There may be reasons I am not aware of to signal out the Mass. border.  Crossing the border of any state there is a risk when leaving leaving NH.  I could support the idea for HB 1412 more if it was more fiscally clear, less inflammatory and generic, pertaining to all border crossings for example:
280:84   Caution: NH State border 500 feet
280:86 No public money shall be used to pay for the design, construction, and installation of any such signage or markers

jcoffey

• First 1000
    • Jenn Coffey
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »

thank you for the feedback, Mass is where I have heard the most reported problems, if it works, it very well could be expanded to Maine and Vt.  The language used to state that this is done by donation and not public funds is the same language we use to achieve other such activities such as the purple heart signs.  legally this language has worked very well in the past so no need to reinvent the wheel.

tom ploszaj

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »

Thanks for the clarification.  I can give greater support for the bill if no tax moneys went towards new signage

jcoffey

• First 1000
    • Jenn Coffey
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

I figure it is a win win
people are forewarned that they are going to loose some liberties down the road
companies get advertising by sponsoring the signs
mass gets less revenue from tickets and arrests of people who innocently ventured onto their land
 ;D

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:40 pm »

I figure it is a win win
mass gets less revenue from tickets and arrests of people who innocently ventured onto their land
 ;D
There currently aren't border signs? Or are they just missing in some locations?

davidesanders

• Anarchist, neopagan, nudist, polyamorous
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:13 am »

You know, this should probably work the other direction as well...

Last I heard, Vermont has no state-wide anti-nudity statute.  It might do well to have some signs at the Vermont border like the ones at some nude beaches, to wit:

"You are now leaving the nude state area, please dress!"

Personally, I'm in favor of getting rid of the NH law regarding nudity.  It's not like every Vermonter is nude all the time... most aren't nude most of the time, and certainly not in public.
Like the auto insurance thing in NH, there is no law requiring it, but something like 80% if drivers have it.  Same with the seat belt law.

Just a thought, bearing on the free state idea.

David E. Sanders

jcoffey

• First 1000
    • Jenn Coffey
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:49:14 am »

I figure it is a win win
 ;D
There currently aren't border signs? Or are they just missing in some locations?

They are missing in locations, and people are getting pulled over not realizing they left nh.  The reason for using the language we pick is to grab the drivers attention.  People pay more attention when something says warning verses welcome

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »

I think the sign should be a raving metal wingnut ! ! ! !

That will get it more attention and maybe national news coverage.
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »

The road I live on leads to MA and there in no sign in either direction.  The only signal you've crossed state lines in the texture of the road changes.  Places like that need signs.

I don't think the signs need to say "Warning" but a notice would be good especially if you go to and on ramp that has no more exits in NH (kind of like on ramps to tolls).  On most small roads you can see the "Welcome to mAssachusetts" sign and just do a U-turn.  You can't do that on a highway.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »

It may be worthwhile for NH DOT to expend some monies over time for signage.
Maybe even expend some of the Meals & Rental taxation that goes into DREDs Travel & Tourism budget to thank visitors?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:28 pm »

My property straddles the border with Mass, and pretty much all of the locals here in Seabrook know where the line is.  I love having a Town Hall with a roundabout that lets you avoid getting any Mass soil on your tires by going around the rotary.

I'm not sure that a lot would need to be spent on signage.  I would rather replace a few 4-way stops on the border with mini-roundabouts, allowing for a much easier U-turn to get back into the Granite State.  Mini-roundabouts are not too expensive.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up