Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are the Free Staters?  (Read 6321 times)

mdishon

Who are the Free Staters?
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

Hey guys,

My name is Matt and I am doing a project to inform my classmates as to what the Free State Project is and what kind of people are in it. From what I have notice it seems like people who join this project have many different views, but their goal for liberty is the main focus and because it is so important to them it is what unites them. I would like to get your thoughts as to what kind of people, if there is a "kind of person," join the Free State Project? If I could get your thoughts as to what the Free State Project signifies to you, that would be great too.

Thank you for your time,

Matt

Alex Libman

Re: Who are the Free Staters?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:55:13 am »

Most Free Staters are carbon-based life-forms, but I've been working on creating some libertarian Artificial Intelligence to make us even more diverse!  :P

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

Some a deeply devout Christians. Some are Pantheists. Some are Muslim. Some are Atheist.
Some are Caucasian. Some are Black. Some are Indian. Some are Asian. Some are Latino.
Some are Men. Some are Women. Some have Children.
Some have multiple advanced degrees. Some did not finish High School.
Some are committed to ensuring marriage is defined as one man and one woman. Some are involved in polyamorous relations with partners of both sexes.
Some are anti-political. Some are elected officials.
Some are nearly pure carnivores. Some are vegans.
Some listen primarily to Death Metal. Some listen to both kind of music: Country and Western.

All of them agree: there is too much government, and not enough freedom.
All of them are willing to pull up stakes and uproot their entire lives, to try and make a better life.

Alex Libman

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

Denis, that was brilliant!   :)

mdishon

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:23 am »

Dennis that was awesome, thank you very much.

tom ploszaj

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:54:15 pm »

Thank you Denis.  I was going to reply but you appeared to cover my individuality and who we are.

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:26:02 pm »

Please allow me to add:

Some are Democrats, some are Republicans, some say Screw the two party system.

Some want to reform marriage licensure so that gay folks can marry (or not); some say Screw the marriage licence.

Some call themselves libertarians (whether capital or miniscule L), anarchists, anarcho-capitalists, capitalists, voluntaryists, minarchists, free marketeers, agorists, or any of a number of ever budding descriptors; some say Screw the labels—let's get to the core issues.

Some are whistleblowers who call out corruption and conspiracies at all levels of power; some call the aforesaid whistleblowers 'conspiracy theorists'.

Some run for office or promote liberty-friendly candidates; some say screw government and 'politics' altogether.

EricMasters

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:55 pm »

FANTASTIC response Dennis    :D

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:51:09 pm »

I don't think I hear the anarchists call themselves Free Staters much. Do they? I don't know if they join the FSP. I thought they mostly just are associates who take advantage of the opportunity to be around libertarians who are closer to their own way of thinking. I think they'd also like to convert libertarians and everyone else to anarchism, which would be in opposition to the FSP intention to use political action to achieve freedom for all.

Not all anarchists oppose "government". I used to think like that, till I decided that people have the freedom to define govt however they want and they don't have to define it as an abusive or authoritarian system. And there are and have been non-authoritarian governments. Some anarchists use the word anarchism to mean anti-authoritarianism, because anarchism is shorter and means almost the same thing. If they think about it, most anarchists surely don't oppose rules, which is what archy means, and anarchy means no rule. But, surely, what's really meant by that is no authoritarian rule. Without rules, there can be no defense of human rights.

So far, it seems that Free Staters are mostly white guys from all over the U.S. What percent are white women, maybe 30 at best, I think. There are some of many categories, like Denis said, but not many non-whites or immigrants. I'm about 1.5% non-white, i.e. native American, but I don't know if that counts. But I'd say Free Staters are more interesting, thinking, creative, original and independent than most other people.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:31:55 am »

I don't think I hear the anarchists call themselves Free Staters much. Do they? I don't know if they join the FSP. I thought they mostly just are associates who take advantage of the opportunity to be around libertarians who are closer to their own way of thinking.

Probably a quarter of the early movers are anarchists, and self-identify as Freestaters.

I think they'd also like to convert libertarians and everyone else to anarchism, which would be in opposition to the FSP intention to use political action to achieve freedom for all.

The FSP has no intention to use political action.  Or to use civil disobedience.  Or agorism.  Or anything else.  The FSP doesn't endorse any particular sort of activism.

Not all anarchists oppose "government". I used to think like that, till I decided that people have the freedom to define govt however they want and they don't have to define it as an abusive or authoritarian system. And there are and have been non-authoritarian governments. Some anarchists use the word anarchism to mean anti-authoritarianism, because anarchism is shorter and means almost the same thing. If they think about it, most anarchists surely don't oppose rules, which is what archy means, and anarchy means no rule. But, surely, what's really meant by that is no authoritarian rule. Without rules, there can be no defense of human rights.

"Anarchy" means "no rulers," not "no rules."
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1]   Go Up