Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting Online Publishing Corporation for Profit  (Read 4673 times)

gleongelpi

Starting Online Publishing Corporation for Profit
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:11:48 am »

I am interested in starting an online publishing corporation for profit. It will have several online magazines and newspapers, and would also provide the membership with other services, such as classifieds, etc. The idea has been developed over the last few years with the input of a few libertarian friends. At this point nothing has been done to transform this idea into an enterprise.

My hope is that, at the right time, some investors can be found, as well as, some people interested in doing some work. Unlike online publishers like LewRockwell.com and antiwar.com, which are non-profit and only preach to the choir, The objective is to create a traditional for profit business that will provide a number of people with a means to earn a living, as well as, a means to push the libertarian message to the general public without making it rather obvious. Ultimately, it is my hope that this publication would become national if not international in scope.

At this point, I am only looking for some feedback, primarily in the form of finding out if there is any real interest, both financially and otherwise. Since this would be a family of publications, it would also be possible to fold some existing online magazine and newspapers into the one concept.

More details will be forthcoming in the future if there is any interest now. Please feel free to post here if you have any interest. It matters not if you are currently in New Hampshire or not. I am not, but my intention is to move there and work for this enterprise. Ultimately we would have correspondents all over the world. It is just that the headquarters will be in NH.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: Starting Online Publishing Corporation for Profit
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:02 pm »

When looking for startup money I suggest you look at Kickstarter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter

gleongelpi

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:22:12 pm »

Kickstarter is an interesting concept, but premature at this stage. I need to know, first, if there is any interest in NH for starting something that would be somewhat similar to The Huffington Post with, naturally, a different political bent, etc.

To change the subject somewhat ---

In my opinion, the FSP has one important drawback: there is no way for those making the move to get an adequate income once relocated. People who have a good job elsewhere, a profession with a clientele or a business would be leery to leave behind that which they have established; therefore, the majority of those moving will be people with little to lose financially. This does not make for a good core from which to work. They will be struggling to obtain low paying jobs in competition with the locals.

A person could move his business, for example, a restaurant. That would be fine, but the initial impact of such a move is to compete against other similar local establishments, and it does not create altogether new economic activity that grows the employment base exponentially to the new entries into the marketplace. In other words, a fast influx of new workers that take time to accommodate into the economy may lead to these workers leaving before the local economy makes adjustments.

To avoid all of this, new employment must be be created through new businesses that draw revenues from outside the target area. an online publication would be one of these since the resources would be generated by a customer base largely coming from outside the region. The same thing would be true for businesses such as a boarding school, a summer camp or a retreat. Other online businesses would have a similar impact. However, none of these businesses can be started without some input from the local FSP community.

I mentioned media, schools and camps because I have been involved with those kinds of enterprises before. I am sure there are many other kinds of businesses that could be started that would draw revenues from outside the target area. From an economic standpoint, the kind of business doesn't matter. However, from a libertarian standpoint, any business that would help spread the word about libertarianism would be even better, in particular if it is done as part of something bigger.

I will pursue Kickstart as a possibility once I come to the conclusion that there is enough interest otherwise. If there isn't, and I choose to pursue this avenue, I do not have to move to NH. Moving to NH would be an option that I would have to make to my financial detriment, also leaving behind a small core of people that could help me where I am. Thus, without the knowledge that there are some who are interested in something like this, I may decide that I cannot do it. --- And, I cannot do this alone, and it is more than just a matter of money. 

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:15 pm »

In my opinion, the FSP has one important drawback: there is no way for those making the move to get an adequate income once relocated.

Given the low rate of unemployment, the high wages and the high wealth of the state this is simply not the case at all. If you have good skills then it's easy to find work here, if you have a successful small business elsewhere then sell it and use the proceeds to start another one in NH. There are many successful porc small business owners in state already.

therefore, the majority of those moving will be people with little to lose financially. This does not make for a good core from which to work. They will be struggling to obtain low paying jobs in competition with the locals.

What? I live in Nashua, of those who come to our meetings about 75% are professional workers with jobs or successful businesses, 15% work in skilled jobs and the remaining 10% choose to do something else out of desire rather than lack of opportunity.

A person could move his business, for example, a restaurant. That would be fine, but the initial impact of such a move is to compete against other similar local establishments, and it does not create altogether new economic activity that grows the employment base exponentially to the new entries into the marketplace. In other words, a fast influx of new workers that take time to accommodate into the economy may lead to these workers leaving before the local economy makes adjustments.

Why do you presume that even a small minority of movers will be business owners?

I will pursue Kickstart as a possibility once I come to the conclusion that there is enough interest otherwise. If there isn't, and I choose to pursue this avenue, I do not have to move to NH. Moving to NH would be an option that I would have to make to my financial detriment, also leaving behind a small core of people that could help me where I am. Thus, without the knowledge that there are some who are interested in something like this, I may decide that I cannot do it. --- And, I cannot do this alone, and it is more than just a matter of money.

Who I choose to do business with (and also invest in) and my politics are not the same thing at all. I would not give preferential treatment to a libertarian seeking employment/investment on the basis of them being a libertarian, the idea has to stand on its own merits. Why would we be a better choice to seek investment from then kickstarter?

In this particular example starting an online publishing business requires little to no capital investment (which begs the question why do you even need investment from us, just do it?) and would be contending with an already very crowded market. What is going to make you better then Reason?

gleongelpi

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »

Sorry, but just about everything you say is wrong.

First, there are plenty of entries in these pages of people who go there with practically nothing, and they are constantly being urged not to move until they are financially prepared. I am also aware of some who have returned to where they came from.

Second, I have heard of plenty of people who will not move because of all they have to lose. The prove that libertarians are not moving is clear in the low numbers of people who have moved. In a country with millions of libertarians, it is clear that many are deciding not to make the move on economic basis. So you really consider that a few thousand people moving to NH constitutes success? The fact that you have a small core of professionals who have moved is not an indication that there is not a problem. And this is not supposed to be an elitist organization, anyway.

Third, maybe you are not interested in who joins a publication. But I am not interested in taking in partners who may decide they do not like the particular editorial bent that I want to give the publication. If I were trying to build houses, the political outlook of the potential partners would be largely irrelevant, but if I am trying to elicit a certain outlook in my editorial approach, I do not want to be beholden to people who do not share my outlook.

And, finally, if your type of reply is what I can expect from libertarians in NH, you can keep NH to yourself. Like in all businesses, it is not the viewpoint of those who do not want the product that counts; only the viewpoint of those who say "yes" to the product. This is not a political consideration in the first point of someone like you trying to discourage me, anyway. The only important opinions are the ones of those who are interested.

Negativity and failure to want to see the truth is a problem, and your input is not desired..

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »

First, there are plenty of entries in these pages of people who go there with practically nothing, and they are constantly being urged not to move until they are financially prepared. I am also aware of some who have returned to where they came from.

We have over 1000 people in the state. I moved from another country, various other people have up and moved from all over the country and generally they don't arrive with "practically nothing". I am not sure where you are getting this notion of gypsy caravans of people arriving with a few dollars in their pockets and then not being able to find work but its absurd.

Second, I have heard of plenty of people who will not move because of all they have to lose. The prove that libertarians are not moving is clear in the low numbers of people who have moved.

Perhaps you missed the part of the SOI which states you don't have to move until the counter hits 20k. Those of us who moved early did so on the understanding that there would not be a vast number of people moving initially and the expectation that even when we did hit 20k it would be unlikely that more than half of those who signed up would choose to move. Also ~10% of participants moving ahead of when they need to is spectacularly good for an organization such as this.

In a country with millions of libertarians, it is clear that many are deciding not to make the move on economic basis.

Most don't know the project exists. Of those that do many are waiting for some results before committing themselves to a move, we are starting to see results already so this number should climb as the situation continues to further improve. Of the remainder some are not interested due to the weather, others consider the project pointless because of the limited scope for dealing with the federal government and others consider that if they chose to move for liberty other targets (such as Hong Kong) are already far further along in the process and are far more liberty friendly then the US will ever be.

So you really consider that a few thousand people moving to NH constitutes success? The fact that you have a small core of professionals who have moved is not an indication that there is not a problem. And this is not supposed to be an elitist organization, anyway.

I didn't generalize, I simply stated that the demographics of those who have moved doesn't even begin to support your presumptions. Also yes I do consider this size a success, double this number and we have enough to tilt the balance significantly away from statism.

Third, maybe you are not interested in who joins a publication. But I am not interested in taking in partners who may decide they do not like the particular editorial bent that I want to give the publication. If I were trying to build houses, the political outlook of the potential partners would be largely irrelevant, but if I am trying to elicit a certain outlook in my editorial approach, I do not want to be beholden to people who do not share my outlook.

People who invest care about a return on their investment and little about the steps you take to reach that point.

And, finally, if your type of reply is what I can expect from libertarians in NH, you can keep NH to yourself. Like in all businesses, it is not the viewpoint of those who do not want the product that counts; only the viewpoint of those who say "yes" to the product. This is not a political consideration in the first point of someone like you trying to discourage me, anyway. The only important opinions are the ones of those who are interested.

If you don't like opposing viewpoints and discussion of ideas how do you ever hope to run a successful liberty orientated publication?

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:10:39 pm »

Woah guys, let's all be friends :)

gleongelpi said
I am interested in starting an online publishing corporation for profit. It will have several online magazines and newspapers, and would also provide the membership with other services, such as classifieds, etc.

That's awesome.  I don't think I have anything to contribute but I like the idea pro-liberty online media.

I see what both of you are saying.  There are people moving to Keene, some of them young, with little money.  I don't know if I have seen anyone try hard to find work in NH and not find it.  However, sometimes people settle for less in NH than they made back home.  For example, let's say someone worker as a janitor back home for several years and made it up to $14 per hour.  If that person moved to Keene, they may start near the bottom at $10 per year.  I've also seen people move to NH and get high tech jobs in Nashua making nearly as much or even more than they made back home.  Of course, there is no shortage of high tech jobs in NH but all movers don't have experience in high tech.

I think greap has some good points, too.  For example, it is true that the NH area has one of the lowest unemployment rates around.  In fact, outside of the breadbasket, VT/NH have the lowest unemployment rates in the US.  I think unemployment is under 4% in Portsmouth, for example.  However, it is over 8% in Salem so NH isn't perfect, just much better than most of the US.

There are large networks and there is lots of information to help free staters find good jobs in NH.  However, everyone does take the time to use the networks and read the information so some people struggle.  Some people don't try hard to find a job and struggle.

Thank you both for your information and discussion.

gleongelpi

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:41 am »

I thank you, loveandpeace.

When I think of the success of, for example, The Huffington Post as a business enterprise, I believe that it can be duplicated and that my concept has potentially just as good a chance for success. But while the Huffington Post started as a more controversial publications with some libertarian leanings, it has been straying away from it. In time, like many other publications, the editorial spin can end up being almost as opposite as where it started. This is what happens when one depends on funds from sources that are not concerned with ideology. I have no interest in being involved in an outfit with which I do not have editorial control, or at least, similar political philosophy.

One could start a non-profit, but we know how successful the like of LewRockwell.com have been. It is a great publication, but very few people reach it, and it does not provide a livelihood for a considerable number of people. My intention would be to create a family of online publications under the umbrella of one for profit corporation. In other words, try to merge the financial success of the for profit with the libertarian philosophical outlook in a way that many jobs can be created for people who want to introduce certain ideas to a wide audience.

To that end, I hope to, within the next year or so, travel to NH and present my concept to groups of libertarians. Right now I am think of doing this in Keene and Portsmouth, and hopefully in at least one place there will be sufficient interest to get the ball rolling. All I really need to do will be to tap on the energy and channel it in the right direction. As I see it from the distance, Keene seems to be a very fertile ground for the development of libertarian enterprises. This is the case not only as it pertains to an online publication but also in respect to some other institutions that can lead to the spread of the philosophy, such as private schools, summer camps and retreat centers.

Libertarians can open as many factories, restaurants, auto dealerships, etc as they want, but those are not the enterprises where one gets a lot of opportunities to influence ideology. In other words, I am looking to make money by introducing millions to libertarianism.

As for the success of the overall FSP, I consider it negligible at best. This project is approaching ten years, and it is time for a major redo; for a complete overhaul of the thinking behind it. "If at first you don't succeed, try something different." It is overdue for the libertarians in NH to have a powwow on where they want to go and how. The FSP website needs a complete redo, and simplification. There are too many things going on, which is fine, but there is no cohesive central unit where an outsider to the process can get bearings. All you need to do to understand this is read through the thousands of posts on the website, and keep in mind that these are the people who have done the most effort to muddle through the cumbersome process. To the libertarians, the philosophy doesn't have to be marketed, but the project does. The person above claims that the majority just doesn't know about. I disagree. However, if that were the case it would be just as bad, if not worse, as having marketed the product improperly.

Sorry if anybody gets upset by my words, but it is time for those in NH to make a major reassessment of how they present the project to the rest of us. I am telling you as an outsiders, with many contacts in the outside, that you need to come together and do something differently. 

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:26:58 pm »

As for the success of the overall FSP, I consider it negligible at best. This project is approaching ten years, and it is time for a major redo; for a complete overhaul of the thinking behind it. "If at first you don't succeed, try something different." It is overdue for the libertarians in NH to have a powwow on where they want to go and how. The FSP website needs a complete redo, and simplification. There are too many things going on, which is fine, but there is no cohesive central unit where an outsider to the process can get bearings. All you need to do to understand this is read through the thousands of posts on the website, and keep in mind that these are the people who have done the most effort to muddle through the cumbersome process. To the libertarians, the philosophy doesn't have to be marketed, but the project does. The person above claims that the majority just doesn't know about. I disagree. However, if that were the case it would be just as bad, if not worse, as having marketed the product improperly.

Sorry if anybody gets upset by my words, but it is time for those in NH to make a major reassessment of how they present the project to the rest of us. I am telling you as an outsiders, with many contacts in the outside, that you need to come together and do something differently. 

The FSP is the best success so far for the liberty movement, IMO.  It is more successful than the LP or Ron Paul.  However, it still isn't much of a success at all.  People keep tweeting it.  People keep moving to NH.  The website continuous to change and another redesign is in the works.

This best way to improve the FSP is to get involved.  Get to know the folks.  Recruit at a few events.  Talk to board members at Porcfest.  When people get to know you and see how hard you have worked to improve the FSP, they will take your FSP improvement ideas seriously and may even decide to help you implement them.

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »

* Am I too late to join the discussion? Looks like I'm a week late.
* I agree that the FSP has done pretty good, but not nearly well enough, and that it could be much better organized and that maybe something like your publishing corporation idea might help a lot.
* It seems that the govt has corporations largely under its control, so I'm skeptical that a corporation is the way to go, but I don't know if a non-corporation could be effective either. If we want independence from corrupt govt, can a corporation have such independence? I oppose giving corrupt govt tax money too and I'd be concerned about a corporation doing that. By the way, I oppose all forced taxation, since it's anti-libertarian and violates human rights.
* I'm all for your idea of helping to provide more employment opportunities via your publishing idea, although I would educate employees and associates that income and employment taxes are voluntary and anti-libertarian, esp. when donated to highly corrupt govt.
* So it would likely be best to have libertarians in office, like sheriffs and other law enforcement, in order to protect the local people from state and federal govt abuses and threats.
* Do you want to powwow online?
Pages: [1]   Go Up