Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Novelist Seeking Advice On Sovereign Lands in the US  (Read 1934 times)

midwestwriter

Novelist Seeking Advice On Sovereign Lands in the US
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:32 am »

Hello,

I'm a writer working a a series of books built around the concept of a mysterious city in the US, established in the late 12th century. If you haven't gathered, the genre is fantasy. It is based upon some "mysteries of the Midwest" such as the travels of Leif Erikson, the Kensington Stone, and the so-called Mandan Indians. In my story a group of Welsh, Vikings, and Native Americans form a city in the 12th century and keep it hidden from others until the near-future era where my book takes place. That's all well and good, you say, but what does this have to do with us?

Good question. I've envisioned the working of this city and it's surrounding areas in very vague political terms, and I'd like to get some advice from others on this topic. The city is Utopic, mostly peaceful, wealthy, retains strong cultural identity, has strong arts and defense. I imagine the city ruled by a council with a representative from each of the tribes. There would be a "neutral" "cleric" or advisor to mediate. He/she would have been specifically trained for this purpose. Each of these positions of power is inherited through bloodline. The area is on Native American treaty land and is sovereign from the US.

The surrounding areas have taken place during a period of time I call the "Decade of Wars." This has left the US with a different political structure. Some areas are what I have called "semi-soveriegn," they have limited accountability to the federal government. I imagine a court system  . . . but I'm not sure what additional governmental structures I should include. In this future world the areas that are most aligned with the federal government have suffered greatly due to the impact of the "Decade of Wars." Rural areas and very urban areas (like New York City and Los Angeles) have fared better.

I'd greatly appreciate comments from anyone who might be able to help create a realistic political backdrop for my fantasy world. In particular, if anyone might know how a country like the US (after a period of trouble) might realistically break back into semi-sovereign or sovereign regions, that would be of interest to me. If anyone could put a name, or another (historical or current) political organization or school of thought that would be similar to my 12th century/future city, that would be very interesting as well.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

I appreciate all of your thoughts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up