Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschool-University  (Read 31580 times)

EricMasters

• FSP Participant
Re: Homeschool-University
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 10:35:37 am »

I'll have to chime in and mention my school, George Wythe University. They are an excellent small school in Utah, and I completed my four-year degree there, spending only one (by choice) on-campus. I would recommend them above any other university in the world, especially for libertarians and others who march to the beat of a different drummer:

http://www.gw.edu/

While I'm sure this is a fine institution, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware of this which I got off of the school's website:

"At present, George Wythe University is not accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency. GWU is currently pursuing accreditation of its on-campus undergraduate program, and fully intends to accredit all programs as soon as possible thereafter. Meanwhile, our alumni still regularly gain admittance to law school and other graduate programs."

While I'm sure the non-accreditation concern can be a valid one, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware that my unaccredited degree still got me into the White House. I've never had problems because of it... quite to the contrary, in fact.

Interesting. What is it you do/did in the White House?

EricMasters

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 10:37:05 am »

Liberal arts colleges don't need accreditation.  This was one of the reasons that some of use have been looking into setting up an actual liberal arts college for liberty bound porcs.  The idea being that students graduating from high school could make the move now and actually live in the Granite State while pursuing a degree.  If techical courses are your deal, science/computer/engineering type courses could serve as the "electives," and possibly even a "minor."

Are students with degrees from unaccredited Lib Arts colleges are employed or accepted to Professional degrees just as often as students from accredited universities?

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:13 am »

I'll have to chime in and mention my school, George Wythe University. They are an excellent small school in Utah, and I completed my four-year degree there, spending only one (by choice) on-campus. I would recommend them above any other university in the world, especially for libertarians and others who march to the beat of a different drummer:

While I'm sure this is a fine institution, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware of this which I got off of the school's website:

"At present, George Wythe University is not accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency. GWU is currently pursuing accreditation of its on-campus undergraduate program, and fully intends to accredit all programs as soon as possible thereafter. Meanwhile, our alumni still regularly gain admittance to law school and other graduate programs."

While I'm sure the non-accreditation concern can be a valid one, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware that my unaccredited degree still got me into the White House. I've never had problems because of it... quite to the contrary, in fact.

I interned at the Office of Public Liaison, the Administration's main PR office, back in '08 under Bush.

Liberal arts colleges don't need accreditation.  This was one of the reasons that some of use have been looking into setting up an actual liberal arts college for liberty bound porcs.  The idea being that students graduating from high school could make the move now and actually live in the Granite State while pursuing a degree.  If techical courses are your deal, science/computer/engineering type courses could serve as the "electives," and possibly even a "minor."

Are students with degrees from unaccredited Lib Arts colleges are employed or accepted to Professional degrees just as often as students from accredited universities?

I've rarely seen accreditation as a problem when it comes to employment. Sometimes they ask when it comes to certain establishment educational programs, but you can always just apply anyway, and they usually won't care about the technicality if it's apparent that you're worth your stuff. I got into a summer program at Princeton, and it doesn't get more "establishment" than that.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

EricMasters

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:54 am »

I interned at the Office of Public Liaison, the Administration's main PR office, back in '08 under Bush.

I've rarely seen accreditation as a problem when it comes to employment. Sometimes they ask when it comes to certain establishment educational programs, but you can always just apply anyway, and they usually won't care about the technicality if it's apparent that you're worth your stuff. I got into a summer program at Princeton, and it doesn't get more "establishment" than that.

Interesting, good to know escapist.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »

I wonder if there is a demand for AFFORDABLE Homeschool education for college level students?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:55:12 am by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »

Should be. Internet-based education seems to be catching on for college level students.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 04:01:37 am »

It does seem to be.  Now, if it could just be affordable.  Seems not having a campus to maintain cuts costs.  Also, if professors recorded classes and just received some kind of payment every time their video is watched, seems like a good way to cut costs too.  I would really like to see $100 classes (that includes books, etc.). in the very near future.  I think educating one's self should be highly encouraged.  Placing $50,000 price tags on education seems like a way to discourage some people from learning (other than what they can do on their own).

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

Since the 'costs' that you associating in your post include profit; more competition should drive that down over time.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/10/30/173100/lower-costs-lure-us-college-students.html#dsq-form-area

I have also heard that some students are choosing to educate themselves in Australia since their universities may be more affordable.  Also, Australia does not require students to take classes the student has no interest in to earn a degree (example: Math majors only have to take Math classes to earn a Math degree). A student gets to take classes that interest them.  

Meanwhile, in the USA, a Math major may be required to take classes like English Lit or Art Appreciation to earn a Math degree, and the Math major has to pay for those classes and sit through them..... or no degree....regardless of their brilliance in Math.  

Also, if some students go through school but never learn to read, doesn't that show that maybe the one system in the USA isn't working for every person?  If one system isn't the answer for everyone, why aren't there more systems to choose from; why don't students in the USA have choices at every level, K-12 and college?  This would allow a college student to choose a university that was affordable, and allow a Math major to choose a university that only required Math classes to earn a Math degree.

Other good articles on education:

http://feltd.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/the-prussian-german-educational-system/

http://www.fff.org/freedom/0795n.asp

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:09:03 am by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

Sarasyn

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »

Is it having an accredited degree what's important?  Or are you looking for something that will give a homeschooler the education they need in order to obtain a job in their preferred field of study?  Not all fields require a degree or certification in order to get a job.  Sometimes building a reputation with peers that hold some kind of influence in the community can be enough to secure a position.  After all, which is more valuable, actual experience or a degree that says you have the knowledge.

If you're going the direction of a degree, I can't help you much, but if you want to go the route of experience, there I can help you.

ZTC (Zero Tuition College) is an organization dedicated to helping students attain actual life experience and peer references from the community that would equate to or be better than a degree.  This is done through life experience, mentoring, and things along that track.  Most of it is independent work that a student undertakes themselves.  It's still a very new program, but they could use all the support they could get from people who are willing to mentor other students, as well as building their student base.  Even if you decide not to go that way, it's a good place to meet self-directed learners and help other self-directed learners on their way.

http://www.ztcollege.com/

Enjoy!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »

Take a look at the free online classes offered at edx.org.  Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Berkley, and other colleges allow students to take courses online, though you only get a certificate.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything