Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Stater running for a board member vacancy of Nashua's Board of Education  (Read 10029 times)

kallen

• The Staircase to Hell

I am going to attempt to run for the board member vacancy of the Nashua's Board of Education.

Some of my goals would be:

For HS juniors and seniors right to choose their own electives whether based on their cultural relativity, religious orientation or expressed interest.  

Make some college courses that does not require college prerequisities (like Psychology 101 or Sociology 101) available at the high school level so high school graduates can have an edge if they would choose not to go to college.

Among other liberty oriented ideas.

First, I need 50 petition Nashuan signatures by October 9th. I don't expect to win but it is worth a try, right? Who will sign?
Can New Hampshire end the exhausting trail of wandering for Kallen???

Kallen is counting on it. :)

John Edward Mercier

• Native

I'm pretty sure that all High School Students... not just Juniors and Seniors... get to choose their electives.
And there may only be a few people on the forum in the Nashua District.

antistate1190

I am going to attempt to run for the board member vacancy of the Nashua's Board of Education.

Some of my goals would be:

For HS juniors and seniors right to choose their own electives whether based on their cultural relativity, religious orientation or expressed interest.  

Make some college courses that does not require college prerequisities (like Psychology 101 or Sociology 101) available at the high school level so high school graduates can have an edge if they would choose not to go to college.

Among other liberty oriented ideas.

First, I need 50 petition Nashuan signatures by October 9th. I don't expect to win but it is worth a try, right? Who will sign?

publik skoolz are down the toilet already. To do something liberty-oriented youd have to cut education funding. Why not get the skool to move to cheaper resources so nashua residents can have an easier time on tax day?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator

Public schools are moving more towards computer driven education.  At some point some enterprising people will deliver digital textbooks with fewer errata than printed text books at a lower cost per student.  As it is now textbooks tend to be expensive, but a school can get quite a few years out of them.  The people making those digital will likely follow that same model until someone else comes along and licenses the books per student at a low enough cost that it will be cheaper to buy a tablet or some other device and license all the textbooks than buy printed textbooks.  With how slow government moves, this will take a while.  Once it does happen then, education will be able to more easily adapt to the individual student.  One of the assessment tests the schools in my town apparently will attempt to truly assess a child's skill level.  If they get a question right, it asks a harder one until they top out or get it wrong.  If they miss the baseline question, they get an easier one.  They give the kids this test in the fall and in the spring.  It shows kids tend to forget a lot over the summer.

John Edward Mercier

• Native

Its already happened.
K12 is advertising pretty heavily.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast

I think going door-to-door, or talking to people in public places, is the best way to get your petition signatures. I helped a couple of libertarian guys who were running in upstate New York years ago - I found that a lot of people who wouldn't vote for you will sign a petition for you to be on the ballot.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

freedomroad

I don't expect to win but it is worth a try, right? Who will sign?

Maybe.  If you know the Nashua Board of Education really well.  If you have been to a bunch of meetings and seen things that could be reformed which would both lower costs and improve education.  If people in the community are asking you to run.  If a political party has asked you to run.  If you have had kids in the Nashua school system for years.  If it looks like the likely folks you are going to be campaigning against have some major problems in the eyes of a lot of voters.

My guess is that if several of the above things are true, go for it!  In the end, it's up to you.  I don't live in Nashua so I don't know the situation there.  My guess is that you have a great understanding of the city or you wouldn't even be thinking about running.

If you are unsure, I recommend you follow this, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=24392.0

If you are sure, I recommend that you delete this thread and sign up for this event, https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=143343765756518  I also recommend that you find a hopefully excited and experienced campaign manager in Nashua to help you.  Or at the very least, find someone that you can trust and also get them signed up for the event.
Pages: [1]   Go Up