Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interested confused and conflicted?  (Read 3162 times)

confusedyounglibertarian

Interested confused and conflicted?
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:44:42 pm »

I have read plenty about the free state project and feel that I understand it adequately enough (though I  feel I haven't even scratched the surface) or so I think. But my confusion (for lack of a better word) or disillusionment I should say started to stem from the moment when I started to read about other (what I am under the impression of) "umbrella" projects or off shoots (so to speak) such as free Keene and the new Hampshire liberty alliance. My confusion stems from what appears to me as friction between these groups, I hear NHL people bash free keener's and free keener's bash them self's by some of their actions. My thing is who's doing the most good "watchdogs" for liberty or public activist showing the arrogance and blatant ignorance of laws and law enforcement by practicing fairly uncivil actions? I am very interested in moving to new Hampshire and joining the pro liberty activist, but am not quite shire as to where at in the state to go, who to join in the state, or even if it'll ever succeed (though I am self admitably a pessimist). I feel conflicted to take action though. As I have lived many places and they where all anti liberty, I am young when compared to what seems to be the normal average age for all the free starters free keenere inhalers etc., yet have first hand witnessed a society and government out of control. I have been arrested for possesion of marijuana, resisting arrest, etc. I have been humiliated by an in just penal system I have been strip searched frisked beaten by cops hogtied and the likes, I have even been forcibly catheterized for refusing a urine sample; and its come to a boiling point, which is why I am a libertarian and now have come to find that I want to join a project where I  can make a difference. But as stated earlier I have confused myself, will someone please dish it out for me and enlighten me.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Interested confused and conflicted?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »

Welcome!  :)

Basically, the Free State Project has only one goal and purpose: to get liberty activists to move to New Hampshire. What happens afterwards is completely up to the individual, so you definitely will see a variety of strategies and tactics. The biggest "divide" in approaches is distinguished by those who think it's most effective to work within the political system versus those who don't believe in the effectiveness of the political system and choose to work outside it. But many people do both, and many more support both - it's not as big a "conflict" as you might think from reading the occasional heated forum discussion.

Can it succeed? Well, the goal of the Free State Project is for 20,000 liberty activists to pledge to move to New Hampshire, and already more than 10,000 have done so, so I'd say we probably will succeed by that measure. It also happens that many have already moved and arguably already succeeded in advancing liberty in a variety of ways, both political and non-political. And... they seem to be having a lot of fun doing it!  ;D

The best way to see how you might fit in is to come visit and talk to people - folks here are very welcoming and friendly. There are people of all ages, including a lot of young people, and I think many who would be empathetic to your experiences and goals. If you post ahead of time when you plan to visit, people will meet up with you and show you around.

best,
~turbo

P.S. If you haven't already found it, check out the website copblock.org, which is run by Free State Project participants.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

confusedyounglibertarian

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

copblock.org? Looks ineteresting. See I try and get both sides of the story on these kinds of things, and sometimes the ney sayers and haters get in the way. I do fully intend to visit as soon as possible and most likely stay, but that will be a year or two down the road, as i've got judicial issues to sort out. On an off note and something I forgot to mention/ ask in my original post exactaly how "free" is it at the moment i.e. how much would I have to wory about if I grew a few pot plants (I've heard of the 420 or something like that in Keene). Also are their any places in rural NH that dont have building codes (I'm into all natural building)?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »

i.e. how much would I have to wory about if I grew a few pot plants (I've heard of the 420 or something like that in Keene)

Growing is more of a worry than smoking. Others may chime in who have a better sense, but my impression is that drug law enforcement in NH is comparable to other areas of U.S.

Also are their any places in rural NH that dont have building codes (I'm into all natural building)?

There are state codes that everyone is supposed to follow, but there are some towns (such as Grafton) which do not inspect, so in those places you can mostly do what you want.
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

confusedyounglibertarian

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »

What I thought about growing, did I here something about medical mj bills trying to get passed or am I  just imagining things?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:57:09 am »

The biggest "divide" in approaches is distinguished by those who think it's most effective to work within the political system versus those who don't believe in the effectiveness of the political system and choose to work outside it. But many people do both, and many more support both - it's not as big a "conflict" as you might think from reading the occasional heated forum discussion.

That's not really accurate.  As you note, many do both.

The "divide" is between those who think that only working inside the political system is acceptable, and those who think there are other ways.  Those who personally don't believe in using the political system tend to be willing to work alongside those who do.  It's only the small, vocal minority who think that there's One True Path, and that is politics, who have any real issue.

The overwhelming majority favor a diverse approach.  Certain individuals only do one.  Certain individuals only do the other.  Certain individuals do both.  But, among that majority, all recognize that diversity is the key to victory.

It's a very small, annoyingly-loud group who have split themselves off, insisting that they are the keepers of the only acceptable method.  Don't let them worry you; they're mostly just folks who have nothing else in their lives, so they have to manufacture conflict to give their lives meaning.  Those of us who are actually living our lives and working for liberty (rather than some personal aggrandizement) mostly just snicker at their nonsense.

If you have goals, are willing to work towards them, and are willing to work alongside others, you won't have a problem with the overwhelming majority of the liberty movement.  And it's easy to ignore the childish ones...

What I thought about growing, did I here something about medical mj bills trying to get passed or am I  just imagining things?

There have been a number of recent medical marijuana bills.  Lynch the Governor has vetoed them, or threatened to veto them, resulting in the legislature just giving up, in each case.  Public support is there, though, so it's only a matter of time.

There was also a recent case where someone was arrested and charged with a felony for growing (a fairly substantial quantity of) marijuana, and successfully argued in favor of jury nullification, convincing the jury to refuse conviction on the felony, despite the evidence presented by the State.  He ended up getting nailed for possession, serving a couple months and paying a relatively-small fine.  The public sentiment is there.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:59:44 am by MaineShark »
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

confusedyounglibertarian

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:16 am »

Jury nullification sounds better and better every time I hear about.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

That's not really accurate.  As you note, many do both.

The "divide" is between those who think that only working inside the political system is acceptable, and those who think there are other ways.  Those who personally don't believe in using the political system tend to be willing to work alongside those who do.  It's only the small, vocal minority who think that there's One True Path, and that is politics, who have any real issue.

The overwhelming majority favor a diverse approach.  Certain individuals only do one.  Certain individuals only do the other.  Certain individuals do both.  But, among that majority, all recognize that diversity is the key to victory.

It's a very small, annoyingly-loud group who have split themselves off, insisting that they are the keepers of the only acceptable method.  Don't let them worry you; they're mostly just folks who have nothing else in their lives, so they have to manufacture conflict to give their lives meaning.  Those of us who are actually living our lives and working for liberty (rather than some personal aggrandizement) mostly just snicker at their nonsense.

If you have goals, are willing to work towards them, and are willing to work alongside others, you won't have a problem with the overwhelming majority of the liberty movement.  And it's easy to ignore the childish ones...

Well said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up