Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yahoo article about the FSP and voting in NH  (Read 4465 times)

freedomroad

Yahoo article about the FSP and voting in NH
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »

Is the Free State Project Changing New Hampshire?
Polls Show No Change in Overall Voter Attitudes
By Brad Sylvester | Yahoo! Contributor Network
http://news.yahoo.com/free-state-project-changing-hampshire-230600864.html

Half of the article is a question and answer session with Andrew Smith, the director of the UNH Survey Center.

The article also covers the hacking of the FSP website and the issue people are having with entering the website.

I'm only going to quote one line here.

Speaker O'Brien, whether you agree with him or not politically, did a good job of recruiting like-minded candidates to run for the State House. In that sense, circling back in a long way to the Free State movement, he has probably recruited some people who came to New Hampshire as a part of the Free State movement.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that Speaker O'Brien hasn't recruited a single FSPer to run for the State House.  I talk to lots of FSPers and some of them are constantly trying to recruit me and some of my friends to run for the State House.  That's where the majority of the recruiting of FSPers to run for the State House comes from, IMO.  Other FSPers don't need any recruiting and decide to run on their own.  Perhaps some FSPers have been recruited by some of the more pro-liberty type folks in NH that are not FSPers, but I doubt any of them were recruited by the Speaker.  Of course, I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:07:26 am by LoveAndPeace »

Alex Libman

Re: Yahoo article about the FSP and voting in NH
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:29:48 am »

That's like asking whether automobiles have changed America...  in 1895.

It's just getting started!  It's gonna grow, at first slowly, then exponentially.

Henry Fords wanted.

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:38:37 am »

Havent several free states been elected into state offices? I would call that a success.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:28 am »

Havent several free states been elected into state offices? I would call that a success.
over a dozen.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:00:32 am »

Posted a comment responding to his ignorant and bigoted statement about what libertarians believe.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:12:10 am »

Posted a comment responding to his ignorant and bigoted statement about what libertarians believe.

Bigoted?  You mean this, "Of course, by definition, that means that the government would provide fewer services for the disadvantaged, fewer environmental protections and fewer controls on abuses by corporations."

If there were 300 legislators that were libertarians, some of that stuff may come true.  Of course, the government providing fewer services for the poor isn't a bad thing.  It will lower taxes and may even help the poor.  Since most money designed to help the poor goes to middle class government workers, fewer services means less money spent which means smaller tax bills for everyone.  The poor would pay less taxes.  They may also get better services as private charities would step in and help the truly needy.  The fakers would likely get jobs and improve their standard of living.

It seems like a decent article on the FSP to me.  It doesn't seem too negative.  Both the author and the professor seem a little misinformed but that's normal.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:07:49 am by LoveAndPeace »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:13 am »

That's it. And he deleted my comment after I posted it. ::)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:10 am »

That's it. And he deleted my comment after I posted it. ::)

weak
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:06:48 am »

Bigoted?  You mean this, "Of course, by definition, that means that the government would provide fewer services for the disadvantaged, fewer environmental protections and fewer controls on abuses by corporations."

If there were 300 legislators that were libertarians, some of that stuff may come true.  Of course, the government providing fewer services for the poor isn't a bad thing.  It will lower taxes and may even help the poor.  Since most money designed to help the poor goes to middle class government workers, fewer services means less money spent which means smaller tax bills for everyone.  The poor would pay less taxes.  They may also get better services as private charities would step in and help the truly needy.  The fakers would likely get jobs and improve their standard of living.

It seems like a decent article on the FSP to me.  It doesn't seem negative.  Both the author and the professor seem a little misinformed but that's normal.

That would be the duty of the magistrates and legislators. They use to actually do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up