Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: is new hampshire gay friendly  (Read 19554 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: is new hampshire gay friendly
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 10:31:34 am »

my partner and i have never been to new hampshire planning a trip from mich in oct

Timmy, let me know when you folks are in town.  I'll meet up with you and show you around in Manchester and/or Keene.

jeffszone

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 01:11:06 am »

Is there any group out there for GLBT Free State Project movers? I'm in Michigan, and am thinking about the move to N.H. but would like to meet some of the gay locals or gay FSP move-ins first and make some friendships or at least some dialog about what their experiences have been like.

I learned about FSP just after moving to Colorado for a short while, which was pursue what I thought my bf's plans included. I liked the state, although there was a clear clash between die-hard conservatives and die-hard authoritarian liberals depending on whether you were up in the mountains or down in the city. (wow). Sadly I just went through a break-up so now I'm back to having no particular plans, and thought I might consider something new.

-Jeff

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 10:00:57 am »

Is there any group out there for GLBT Free State Project movers?

I haven't heard of a group, per se, but I did hear something about a radio show started by some gay movers.  *ahem* <points down at signature>

Alex Libman

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:25 pm »

<points down at signature>

Which can still be seen by 1% of Internet users who don't use AdBlock.   >:D

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:33:26 pm »

I don't interact with bigots. Luckily, my "dead to me" list is relatively short in New Hampshire.

Alex Libman

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »

Being bigoted against bigots makes you a bigot.

How about developing a rational code of ethics instead?

Danni

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »

I'm gonna have to take a 180 degree turn from the positive comments made by others about NH. As a Trans-woman, I have lived in Manchester for the past decade, and this city is NOT welcoming towards the transgender population. I pass about 75% of the time, but during the other 25% I've been spit at, threatened, assualted, harassed, followed,  you name it. Not just on the street either, but in the local libraries, the city buses, and supermarkets. Part of the problem seems to be that parts of  Manchester's inner city is  run down lower-income, (Read "white trash" ) lots of crime such as drugs and robberies and break ins, few jobs, with a lot of transients from Lowell and Lawrence looking for welfare bennies, not to mention the growing number of street people looking for the soup kitchens . In addition the inmates cut  loose from the Concord State prison and local county farms all head to Manchester. Very few if any of these people have any tolerance for anyone that is the slightest bit different, and very many have regular criminal or sexual offender backgrounds.  The local teenagers don't make things any easier either, while our own home-grown lovable rednecks in thieir pickups cruisng by are always happy to yell something cheery like "Fags must die"! The employment situation as far as affirmative hiring  is abysmall, and the local police are creepy as hell just walking by them-if your stopped for anything and your TG, you might be insulted or harassed by the officer, and don't be expecting to have your rights read to you if your actually taken into custody. Complicating all of this is that the general populations (which is clannish, close-minded and insular as heck at the best of times,)  only exposure to transgenders are the Drag Queens who preform at the local clubs like the 313 and the Element.  Needless to say, the locals see the drag queens, and their simple minds assume that anyone who is Trans must also be a Draq Queen-need I point out that there is ZERO tolerance for Drag Queens on the strteets and back neighberhoods of Manchester? Whenever I go outn and around, I make sure I have two weapons on me at all times. If your gay or lesbian, and low-key so that the locals don't pick up your being gay, you might be alright. But if your noticiebly Trans, its a little liie being black ine 1950's.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »

Clannish, close-minded, and insular... I would say is a fair description.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up