Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Big Tent: Welcoming Everyone to PorcFest 2013?  (Read 15331 times)

ParentsDecide

A Big Tent: Welcoming Everyone to PorcFest 2013?
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:39:43 am »

I love the concept of a PorcFest that welcomes a cross section of people, who may well have different individual values and goals for liberty -- and who may even disapprove strongly of the choices that others make -- but who are willing to 'live and let live', as long as their property rights are observed.

Many people generalize that the loudest, the most visible, or the most shocking defines the group.  This tendency hurts even homogeneous groups, but, for heterogeneous groups like ours, it can debilitate, especially given that some in our circle believe that everyone should approve of how they want to exercise their liberty. 

Maybe the next, much larger PorcFest could support networking of various small groups? 
- A kiosk where people advertise to find like-minded individuals? 
- A daily cocktail hour "Interest Fair" at which people advertise for decentralized connections? 
- Buttons or tags that indicate specific desires to discuss?
- Sign-up sheets for issues?

I ran a year long study of "prejudice" for a UU church.  The UUs regularly congratulated themselves for their "tolerance" -- of homosexuality, of blacks, of 'other-abled', of liberals, of the poor, -- but they shocked me with their knee-jerk prejudice against groups that were not already heavily represented in their church.  I rose to suggest that when a Southern, Catholic, able-bodied,  heterosexual, wealthy, republican male business owner was able to walk into the church and feel welcomed, only then could we claim "tolerance". The president of the church replied, "Why would we ever want anyone like that?"

How might we demonstrate to newcomers our Big Tent?

Best,
Dennis

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: A Big Tent: Welcoming Everyone to PorcFest 2013?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:08:41 am »

I like your ideas.  Sort of a social networking setup, done in person?

In the past, various groups have held seminars and such.  It's getting to the point where there are so many groups that such things overlap, and you have to choose which one to attend, missing out on others (so, some groups no longer bother).

I like the idea of buttons to declare interest in various things, but the challenge would be making sure they transmit enough information to be worthwhile, but are not so cluttered that they cannot be easily read at a distance (or so numerous; I doubt anyone wants to wear three dozen separate buttons).

Some simple designs and a chart to help decode them?  Need to make them stylized enough to be read from a distance, but meaningful enough that you don't need the chart to figure it out.

Could have information on the various groups in a kiosk, and bins of buttons for each group, so if you see a group you are a part of, you can grab a button indicating your membership and willingness to discuss topics related to that group.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

why 2013 and not 2012?

ALthough I do have a great mental picture of people wearing 30 buttons... :)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »

why 2013 and not 2012?

I had assumed that was a typo.

ALthough I do have a great mental picture of people wearing 30 buttons... :)

+3 button mail

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

Speaking of tents and in person networking....

I would like to see Liberty Loving employers with tents/booths at Porcfest.

What if Porcfest was sectioned?  The "Big Tent" could have a flyer/map of all the "zones."  For example, maybe there is an area that is for parents with kids "Zone 1".  Then there is an area for adults without children "Zone 2".  Then an area with singles that might be looking or not "Zone 3".  Then an anything goes zone which is exactly what it says.....nudity, smoking of all kinds, alcohol, etc."Zone 4".  Some people might have medical issues, so I am curious how smoking/non-smoking areas would be addressed.  Common areas, such as shopping areas, could be kept family friendly.

People could stop at the Welcome Tent and pick up a schedule of events in each zone and then have a button to identify which zone they are in (so the button would say "Zone 1, Zone 4, etc.)."  Then, there should definitely be community events where all the zones are encouraged to come together and mingle, since at our roots liberty lovers are all working for the same thing.....Freedom.

Maybe the zone idea will help people feel their personal space and views are more respected.  Yet, common areas encourage us all to mingle and meet new friends. 
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

It's probably going to end up making more sense to have multiple events, especially as the crowd gets larger.  At some point, we're going to run into the point where no single venue in NH can handle PorcFest, anyway, so it's going to happen at some point, anyway.

It was starting to go that way, but each event ends up trying to be everything.  Sort of like specialization within trades, I think we need to actively avoid that.  You don't go to the butcher to get your shoe fixed, and you don't go to the cobbler to get a steak.

Liberty Forum would be a great place for a more "dignified" event.  That's already the theme.  So put the job networking and such, there.  If employers want to connect with employees, doing it in a sedate, semi-professional atmosphere makes more sense than during a camping event.

Free Keene Fest is along the lines of a town fair.  Lots of networking with the community.  Some folks get a bit wild, but it's not a 24-hour-a-day, week-long event.

PorcFest may want to start heading towards the "family-friendly" theme.  It's remote, and less than ideal for networking and such.  Roger's has hotel facilities for those who want a roof and four walls, and camping for those who want to camp.

Burning Porc is starting to spread to multiple sites within Grafton, anyway, so it will likely be the best option when it comes to accommodating a wild party.  There are plenty of remote sites where partiers won't be bothering the neighbors.  If we end up getting the specific piece of land we're currently looking at, we'd probably be able to host something like that, next year.  It's also not an "official" event, any more than Free Keene Fest is, so if the FSP wants to disavow what goes on, that's not difficult for them to do.  They can announce that it will be happening, as an item of interest, but make it as clear as they like that it is not sponsored by the FSP, itself.

There's always going to be some overlap, but I think that some level of specialization is going to become important.

Joe

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:44 am »

What if Porcfest was sectioned?  The "Big Tent" could have a flyer/map of all the "zones."  For example, maybe there is an area that is for parents with kids "Zone 1".  Then there is an area for adults without children "Zone 2".  Then an area with singles that might be looking or not "Zone 3".  Then an anything goes zone which is exactly what it says.....nudity, smoking of all kinds, alcohol, etc."Zone 4". 

That sounds really complicated to centrally plan and control but it kind of already seems to happen organically.  Parties tended to kind of erupt around a few key areas where alcohol was being sold like the Agorist Drinking Fountain or Fixx Brewing.  Even then they seemed pretty mild most of the time until there was the giant rave which was at night or Buzz's party which was roped off and adults-only, and those were mostly focused in the field near the pavillion.  Overall Porcfest didn't seem like a far cry from what you'd expect from anything billing itself as a festival.  Were there specific incidents that come to mind as problematic?

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 01:09:16 am »

The president of the church replied, "Why would we ever want anyone like that?"

Wow, just... wow.  I know someone who visited the UU in Keene, NH and basically felt like a prerequisite of membership was that you vote Democrat across the board, all the time.

BradKeyes

• FSP Participant
  • Why?
    • Active Mind Thoughts
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:03:55 pm »

Margot and I and several other people were talking about how it would be nice to have the name badges back and have them include an area or areas of interest on them.

We could encourage people to put up signs at their sites with their main interests and invite people to chat.

We could also try to go hi-tech. I thought it would be cool to have an interactive map of Rogers where people could register their camp sites and tie them to their web sites, causes, groups, and areas of interest (liberty related or simply personal interests).

I cringe when I hear talk of zones. Most of us are trying to reduce or get rid of zoning in our towns and talk of it at PorcFest concerns me (yes I know Roger's is private property...) I don't know how many saw it but there was a map of Rogers posted on the PorcFest site this year that laid out rough noise zones with the highest noise being at Free Keene and the lowest further away.  I think if this was published more widely it would help. I really wouldn't want to go beyond that.

It really comes down to having some consideration and thinking and talking to each other. I would hope that with only 1000 people we can handle this personally and without strict rules. I've got a whole article planned about the parallels between PorcFest and growing towns and cities.

I've found that even the more 'wild' people at PorcFest are relatively considerate and easy to get along with. There are certainly things at PorcFest that I don't want my children doing and certains things I'd rather not have thrown in their faces. I don't really see anyone doing this and I don't find it particularly hard to limit my childrens' exposure to areas and times where I don't think they should be.

I really hope we can keep the 'zoning' on a individual personal level.

Long term, I agree with Joe, as we grow we'll have no choice but to split up due to sheer numbers, but it will be a sad day when we can't hold PorcFest in one place. I really enjoy it the way it is.
Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use. Knowledge must be gained by ourselves. Mankind may supply us with the facts; but the results, even if they agree with previous ones, must be the work of our mind. - Benjamin Disraeli

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:29:29 pm »

Long term, I agree with Joe, as we grow we'll have no choice but to split up due to sheer numbers, but it will be a sad day when we can't hold PorcFest in one place. I really enjoy it the way it is.

We'll still have PorcFest in one place.  We'll just have other events, as well.  There will be overlap.  And there will be folks who prefer to only attend some of the events.  For example, this year, the sheer distance involved in heading up to Roger's prevented us from attending.  I had work, so we could have done a day trip, but that's it.  A day trip where we spend more time on the road than at the event wasn't going to be worthwhile.  So, this year, PorcFest was not a good fit for us.  Burning Porc, being a lot closer, is much more practical on a busy year.

I think PorcFest can stay the way it is.  I just think other events can spin off in other directions, becoming more specialized.

Joe

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:58 pm »

This was my 5th Porcfest and I have to admit to feeling a bit of nostalgia regarding the earlier, smaller ones where I could spend a lot of time getting to know almost each person.  They felt cozier.  But I will never complain about it getting bigger!  That's the point.  It's overall a very good thing that it seems to be growing so rapidly and the pros of that definitely outweigh the loss of the coziness.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 05:50:47 pm »

It was my first Porc Fest and I was exhausted at the end of each day after speaking to so many new acquaintances.  Non-stop fun and activity.  I wish I had shown up earlier in the week.  There is no bigger tent than the FSP, as far as I can see.
Tu ne cede malis.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:34:18 pm »

I've been to every PorcFest, and tend share Dale's thoughts about the coziness of earlier, smaller PorcFest's.  It afforded you the opportunity to meet, and get to know folks on a more intimate level.  I found this most helpful when meeting folks with different views than I.  Somehow when you know someone, even disagree, it becomes easier to still like and respect them.

But hey, we are growing, and that is a good thing! ;D

I'm hopeful as we move forward we can continue to respect each others, and our differing views. :)
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »

I think you all make excellent points, and I like all of the ideas.  I think that so many people weighing in and voicing their opinions is awesome.  I really like the sign idea at each site.  I hope it stays one big event too because I hope to meet a lot of people.  It will be great to meet like minds and have a good chat.  Even if people do attend this event or that specific interest event, I hope there will be events that bring us all together since we all share a love for freedom.

Maybe "zones" isn't the answer.  I love the sign idea.  However, I just wanted to toss something out there on how personal boundaries can be respected, yet everyone can just walk right over and socialize with everyone in any area.  Also, I thought networking might be easier with the zone thing.  Example....if someone is single and looking for a like mind, if they were camping  in a "singles zone" they wouldn't have to wonder "Is that person available or in a relationship."  However, I think you make a good point about zones.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:55:41 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

ny2nh

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 09:26:06 pm »

Margot and I and several other people were talking about how it would be nice to have the name badges back and have them include an area or areas of interest on them.

We could encourage people to put up signs at their sites with their main interests and invite people to chat.

We could also try to go hi-tech. I thought it would be cool to have an interactive map of Rogers where people could register their camp sites and tie them to their web sites, causes, groups, and areas of interest (liberty related or simply personal interests).

Expanding on this idea...it would be nice to have a site map where people could put in their name and site number, and then sites could post if they have particular interests, specific events/times. This way if I was looking for Brad Keyes, I could put in his name and find out he is on site 31...if Brad chose to list himself in the list.With so many attendees, it's harder and harder to meet up with friends simply because you cannot locate them.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up