Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Event Organizer for PorcFest 2012  (Read 23509 times)

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
Re: New Event Organizer for PorcFest 2012
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 11:15:31 pm »

not only does he help make porcfest 2011 happen
he is already talking next year

Regardless of how it plays out next year, I'm still the guy with all the knowledge this year, so I reply.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Argentum

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 06:39:32 am »

I think Jason Osborne should be the new organizer, but regarding this particular critique of Curtis, it seemed to me that he was simply acknowledging what was going to happen at 4:20 regardless.

I think parents need to grow the fuck up and have an honest conversation with their kids about pot, instead of expecting the rest of the world to coddle their children in some fantasy land where no such things exist.

Same thing with nudity.  I heard some parent(s) complained cause a woman was walking around wearing pasties on her nipples.

Porcfest is a family event, but only if the parents are running a family that is mature enough to actually have conversations with their kids rather than cowardly avoiding mature issues.

Grow up or get lost.  People smoke pot.  People get naked.  Whoop-de-doo.

Thanks for the parenting advice.  This coming from a guy who doesn't have children and doesn't want children. 

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:51 am »

I think Jason Osborne should be the new organizer, but regarding this particular critique of Curtis, it seemed to me that he was simply acknowledging what was going to happen at 4:20 regardless.

I think parents need to grow the fuck up and have an honest conversation with their kids about pot, instead of expecting the rest of the world to coddle their children in some fantasy land where no such things exist.

Same thing with nudity.  I heard some parent(s) complained cause a woman was walking around wearing pasties on her nipples.

Porcfest is a family event, but only if the parents are running a family that is mature enough to actually have conversations with their kids rather than cowardly avoiding mature issues.

Grow up or get lost.  People smoke pot.  People get naked.  Whoop-de-doo.
Thanks for the parenting advice.  This coming from a guy who doesn't have children and doesn't want children.

As a parent, I agree with Ian.  Happy, now?

Children who are sheltered and never exposed to the real world are overwhelmingly likely have trouble adjusting (potentially serious trouble; children who are given "abstinence only" sex ed, are statistically likely to wait to have sex until they move out of their parents' house, but are statistically less likely to use protection, thereby ending up with STI's and unwanted pregnancies).  Raising children in some manufactured fantasy-land is bad parenting.

"Now, Johnny, you sit in the corner while we shoot up and have an orgy" is also bad parenting.

From the sounds of things, nothing happened in public at PorcFest that would be on that level, though.  Or even anything close to it.  So any complaints fall under folks trying to artificially shelter their children, which is nothing but a disservice to the children.  Yeah, it made some parents uncomfortable, but parenting isn't about the parents' comfort; parenting is about raising healthy children who are well-adjusted and able to handle life in the real world.  Good parents put their children's needs first, before their own comfort.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 07:42:08 am »

Curtis has had enough of a power trip for 2 years, it's time to find someone else.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22:40 am »

Curtis has had enough of a power trip for 2 years, it's time to find someone else.

I'm sorry, who are you?
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

micheleseven

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 10:54:18 am »

I am so impressed with the restraint and diplomacy exercised by people right now. I am definitely taking notes as it is often not my strong suit.

Claiming that something takes 20-80 hours a week and is therefore deserving of recognition is not consistent with a merit-based, anarcho-capitalist viewpoint. Imagine if that much effort was put forth to simply be self-supporting!

Although I did not attend this last year, many of those whom I respect in the community who are doers and self-supporting did attend and they are all unhappy with the organizer's results (despite his efforts) and his egocentric attitude. He does seem to be effective at promoting however. Promoting what? is an important question to be asked and I think that you will be surprised at the answer, assuming is it answered honestly.

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »

If there are complaints/criticisms about anything any of the organizers did to make people unhappy, we did have a debrief at the end of porcfest and I am sad that I did not see more folks attend to air their grievances.

That being said, other than the MINOR complaints I have heard from a handful of people... I have heard MANY MANY people tell me it was the best porcfest they have EVER been to, Curtis, you did a great job and I know how hard it was to do all of this work with very little cooperation from other people who wanted to be involved. Props to you, I am glad to have been on your team this year!

Relaying all this "negativity" you heard from other people is unnecessary because you were not there and if they were that concerned it would be best for them to approach the person/people who they were unhappy with to discuss it first. There is no room for growth and improvement when no one is willing to come up to you and say "damn, you did that wrong"... when you hear it through the grape vine it just becomes gossip.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:05:11 pm by robin.m »
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 02:58:08 pm »

That being said, other than the MINOR complaints I have heard from a handful of people... I have heard MANY MANY people tell me it was the best porcfest they have EVER been to

That's what I'm hearing from pretty much everyone.  I haven't heard any serious negative comments from anyone, other than those who virtually only have negativity to offer.  I've made it to roughly every other PorcFest.  While I don't like missing any of them, this is the first one where I really feel I seriously missed out by not being able to attend.

The only meaningful complaint that I seem to hear, is that Curtis is somewhat lacking in tact.  I don't consider that a fault, when it comes to someone interacting with me (I prefer blunt honesty), but others do seem to have an issue with it.  Maybe we can have an ambassador, next year?

Actually, since it sounds like Curtis isn't happy with the lack of help, maybe we need to go to having more than one organizer?  Maybe get two or three individuals to team up, so no one individual has to bear all the weight, and (hopefully) their strengths and weaknesses can complement each other?  Worth exploring.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 02:59:24 pm »

From the perspective of a casual attendee (did not volunteer, should have, will next year...):

Porcfest was great this year, and seemed well-organized. If there were any major problems, I didn't notice them. Also, for the record, Curtis did an awesome job with online promotion.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 05:33:41 pm »

I'm sorry, who are you?
you don't want to know
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 05:46:30 pm »

That is sad to hear Michelle.
We all agree that results are most important .... and it does seem as though Curtis promoted and helped plan a good porcfest.
I thought we all could suffer through his egotism while he did this work. My wife has to put up with tons too. :)
It is sad that all the people you know and respect thought it went so poorly. I kept hearing such good things on this forum.
I didn't go this year, but I have enjoyed Porcfests in the past that were not perfect either.
Maybe I don't have that high of a standard for these events or the organizers. It just seems like fun.
I hope things get better.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2011, 06:57:43 am »

more folks attend to air their grievances.

We had Festivus at Porcfest?

Damn I missed it.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »

Just curious....Through the years I have developed a bit of a relationship with Crosby, the owner of Rogers.  Consequently he often brings up his concerns about what is shaking down at PorcFest to me.  He had a number of concerns this year.  Just wondering if anyone among the organizers talked to Crosby, or did anything to address his concerns?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:17:00 pm by Dave Mincin »
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

robin.freiheit

• anarchy burger, hold the government
    • Because we want to be... FREE!!!
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

I saw Curtis speak with him on a very regular basis throughout PorcFest. So I am sure his concerns did not go unnoticed.
renegade0ffunk.tumblr.com

Ti K

• No
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 06:23:58 pm »

This was my first PorcFest.

The first thing I noticed when I started the 'deeper dive' into the registration process and getting familiar with all of the events and happenings is that Curtis' name kept popping up everywhere. He even responded to my Facebook messages within minutes of me shooting them off. Color me super impressed.

Now, I am sure that behind the scenes, many balls have been dropped and an untold number of things have fallen through the cracks, but let's step back for a moment and look at this with a fresh set of eyes: Do the poo-pooers honestly expect any one organizer to pull this massive event off without a hitch?

I regularly interact with professional event coordinators at work who get frazzled organizing events that are a fraction of the scale of PF. The job requires nerves of steel and the ability to stop worrying about what other people think about you in order to get shit done. If you're one of the people affected by Curtis' "mismanagement", then it wouldn't be a bad idea to step up to the plate and help out with next year's planning. The more decentralized this becomes, the better, IMO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up